I have been using marijuana for 10 years. Smoking at night to relax to sleep. Is there anything that could help me with these withdrawls. I'm not sleeping well at all. How long will this last. I do not want to go back to smoking pot.

Using marijuana for such a long time surely has some consequences, especially if you want to quit it, the marijuana withdrawal symptoms are not pleasant at all. You are most likely to feel irritability, anxiety, physical tension, mood changes, loss of appetite and such. I know you have a good night’s sleep when you smoke a joint before going to bed, and of course it makes it completely strange if your body doesn’t get what it usually gets. But you have to deal with your decision now. If you are absolutely determined to stop smoking pot, you have to be strong enough and fight the withdrawal symptoms. If you start feeling anxious, you try to avoid thinking about marijuana, try to set your mind in another direction, you start doing something else, there is always something to do. But if you are strong enough, you will surely make it! Just don’t let any bad thing that could possibly happen stand on your way and makes you start smoking marijuana again!

You forgot to mention the intestinal twitches, the sick stomach, the sweaty palms and soles, the intense clarity of light, not to mention the wildest dreaming when you finally do sleep. And you finally do. Sleep and appitite do come back after about a month. I have smoked for 30 plus years, and now at 50 decided to stop the bonging every hour. It is hell, but not as bad as cigaretts, so it CAN be done. You must never hang with a smoker who disrespects your need to quit, cause it is such a social drug and is meant to be shared. Like cigarette smokers, you have to start thinking like a non smoker. Best of luck, I need it too.

You forgot to mention the intestinal twitches, the sick stomach, the sweaty palms and soles, the intense clarity of light, not to mention the wildest dreaming when you finally do sleep. And you finally do. Sleep and appitite do come back after about a month. THe mood swings take a bit longer. I have smoked for 30 plus years, and now at 50 decided to stop the bonging every hour. It is hell, but not as bad as cigaretts, so it CAN be done. You must never hang with a smoker who disrespects your need to quit, cause it is such a social drug and is meant to be shared. Like cigarette smokers, you have to start thinking like a non smoker. Best of luck, I need it too.

try taking the natural herbal tablets - valerian forte to help you sleep

I can sympathize a lot.

O.K. this might soound a little weird but for me it works sometimes.
Try learning a bit of Zen Zazen.....basically it is just sitting and breathing and counting breaths...at least in the beginner stages..like me.

I found the herbal teas and stuff useless...personal response only, they may work better for you?

Only problem with Zazen is that if your like me you try to do it in the evening before bed time and if you live above noisy maggots whose whole life ambition is to prevent you from sleeping..(as they have never or will never need to get up for work the next morning) then it will make doing zazen very difficult.

I ended up going to doc and getting sleeping pills..I gave up the pot maybe 15 years ago. The sleeping pills are very good but if you use them every night they will have no effect within a couple of weeks or so. I use them only when I'm nearly dead on my feet.

I have begun smoking again as I was a very heavy smoker years ago and I think that it has some long term effect on the ability to sleep....I feel it must switch off some part of the minds natural sleep chemical or something. I used to sleep very deeply before pot...then again I am quite a bit older now!! All the very best of luck

P.S. If I do the Zazen thing I usually sleep pretty well! A lot better than if using herbal sleep remedies and I reckon I have tried them all!

I also smoked for 35 yrs & now want to quit. I do have the same symptoms as many here. I have sleeplessness, anxiety (feels like my heart is racing), feel like puking, irritability. I notice when I quit smoking that I can remember my dreams, as I could not before (like I didn't dream, but I know I must have). I don't have the munchies anymore (good thing), but I can't stomach much. It's only been 5 days, but I'm very determined that quit for good. I'm not telling my friends, because they don't really support me on my effort. (sad) Thanks for everyone's review it really is helping me to stay on track.

I quitv smoking four days ago , i cant sleep and when i do I have had the craziest dreams, I tos and turn all night

thank goodness that i am not the only one. I am 21 and have been smoking since i was about 14. I feel like i cant quit. I want to but it will be the only thing i can think about. Only a couple of my friends know but none of them smoke. I take tynol pm and a muscle rexaxer if i dont smoke. (which is very rare and the muscle relaxers are mine legally) But i will wake up constantly, grouchy, anxious, nervious, sweaty, and i sometiems feel clostephobic like i cant breath. good luck though.

I know what you mean Jeff. Because I have been smoking for 7 yrs now and Im trying to stop. Its hard as heck. my withdraws are insomnia, anger, neusea, irritable, and anxiety attacts. But Jeff just stay strong man. I have tryed to stay off for a week and a half. And never in a million years I would have thought that I would feel this way after quitting.

im 18 and been smoking to sleep since i was 15, i heard u can get sleeping pills to help u through it i jus wanna know will my body begin to rely on the pills thn?

f**k f**k f**k ive smoked since i was 12 and as i type i cant sleep from withdrawls, ive never missed a single day of smoking bud since the first night i macgyverd my 1st shitty bong, i dont know if i have the will the first post talked about..

hoplessy and incurable insane

Thank God I read these postings. I have been smoking very strong pot for 20 years at least, and just decided to quit cold turkey, too busy now to smoke. No problem quitting except for the physical withdrawal. I feel like I am dying every night I sweat and have insomnia, panic attacks, heart racing. Been to the Emergency room twice for EKG, CT scan, blood work. I have a good appetite, but lost 17 lbs, thought I was dying of cancer or had TB, or Hepatitis, went and got an AIDS test. 30 days now still insomnia now using melatonin to sleep but wake up panicking drenched in sweat, my dreams are more like night mares and I remember most of them vividly. Depression right along with thinking I am dying and not going to see my children grow up. Until I read this post, I was convinced I was a dead man. Is this all part of pot detox? Please reply to that question if anybody knows!! by the way I was drinking also and quit that at the same time. I better not quit coffee and working or I'll really be in trouble. thanks for the post,, sincerely NOID

i am nearing the end of my first week not smoking after five years of almost consistent daily use... my withdrawal consists of painful headache, insomnia (cant sleep for long hours, wake up sleep wake up sleep) when im bored now, im very very bored... before if I had bud as long as i was high i wouldnt mind being bored.. but now when im bored I am BOOOORED with no weed then i get irrititable and restless and cant relax..restless....pounding headache....feel exhausted but cant fall asleep cuz of the headache and persistent salivating craving to get high so i can feel better again...mental confusion cant settle.. best thing you need to do is remind yourself why you quit and imagine how clear your head will be by quitting..its been a week and i already feel better not being groggy stoned all day...if you persevere you will change the way your mind thinks. stay strong. think of all the people that live happy lives without pot. learn to deal with your emotions without a numbing agent. If your sad, let yourself handle it normally, let your brain deal with emotions of life without getting stoned and disabling the normal flow of dealing with neagtive sh*t in life. think of it as a beginning of a new life. positive positive and the withdrawal you feel you will better be able to accept it and smile. your body is cleansing itself its a beautiful thing. Marijuana used to loads of fun i still love pot and respect smokers but once you have reached a point where you know it is time for change... you just know....my reasons for quitting was: stopped caring about life (starting becoming numb emotionally like a zombie, my motivation in life died, i continued smoking even though I had feelings of wanting to quit which then made me feel guilty as ever, my high would drown me in guilt, no self control- it was no longer gratifying to smoke it was like doing the routine like i was a slave to it, my self confidence died I wouldnt close the deal with woman cuz of the buildup guilt from smoking leading to lack of execution and not caring when it came to woman (subconciously i definately cared), stopped playing basketball as much stopped working out, basically was worthless!! now even though its been only a week, it feels good to care, feels good to be conciously aware of how im feeling and not get stoned, the withdrawal is hell but as long as you remember the reasons why you quit, it a test of will, but it you overcome the test think of how much better youll feel about yourself. i know for a fact my confidence willl return, i will have self control so when i do smoke it will be the most gratifying smoke ever, my motivation in life will return, my feelings of guilt will go, my love for basketball and getting in shape will return, start caring about the little things like keeping the house clean, develop better habits, busier more productive lifestle...success has no rules but you can learn a lot from failure

The nausea is kicking my butt, I have lost 5 pounds in the last week, since I dropped the green. I am irritable and suffer from insomnia. I experimented with weed as a teen and was re-introduced in my 30's. It has been about one year that I smoked on a daily basis, I am hyper-focused on maintaining sobriety, but I so truly want to get rid of these feelings, I think I would feel better If I knew how much longer I have to endure the symptoms. This is my first time at theis website and now I find out about the dreams and I have become even more nerveous about withdrawl symptoms. Im am truly glad the resource is here because it forces me to acknowledge that there are consequences for smoking what I have always thought to be harmless, I now know better.