A friend of mine has been using Tramadol after the back surgery. He had some severe injury but is ok now, all that is left is pain and he somehow deals with it with the help of Tramadol. Last time we were talking he mentioned he has to stop with the therapy but that it will not be easy at all. Is Tramadol withdrawal hard?

When it comes to the withdrawal from serious pain killers, you should know that it is far from an easy task. Many people that use it find it very difficult to stop with the therapy and it might take some time before they completely end their treatment. I just hope that your friend will not have much of the problem with this medicament.

Yes I am sorry to say that Tramadol withdrawal is a brutally intense experience that mostly makes people stay on it to prevent withdrawal. the worse of the withdrawals is absolute severe anxiety...you feel like your in a panic attack for 3 or 4 days straight....no sleep, high tension, and a brutal bout with anxiety...no joke. Tamadol is nothing to mess around with, and shouldnt be taken for more than a few weeks at most. I had to go to my doctor to get a different medication...xanax to help with the Tramadol withdrawal they were that intense and bad. I do wish u luck, and remember a doctor can help with this...dont be afraid to ask.

No. At least it isn't nearly as hard as as hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, etc.. Tramadol withdrawal is unplesant :-) but it is considered a weak opiate. Good luck and just don't give up.

i have to STRONGLY disagree with the above answer...i've been a heroin addict for most of 13 years. i've come off of heroin, methadone and most other perscription opiates cold turkey at one point or another...i have never experienced anything like the withdrawal from tramadol. i started taking it to ease the withdrawal from i.v. heroin use,thinking it was a harmless, weak opiate like drug, i took it for several weeks til my script ran out...HUGE MISTAKE. i would have been better off just kicking the dope. during the withdrawal i experienced EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM of withdrawal from other stronger opiates including dilaudid and heroin, i.e. shakes, cold sweats, nausea, diarrea, rapid heartbeat, restlessness, feeling like i wanted to jump out of my skin or break every bone in my body(and if you've come off of opiates before you know what i mean), runny nose, sneezing, insomnia, severe headaches, debilitating exhaustion, etc. all this was accompnied by an anxiety like nothing i have ever felt before...just like a panic attack that lasted for a week. why this drug is not scheduled as a narcotic i will never understand. but to answer your question...YES, the withdrawal from this drug is absolutely miserable.

No its really not people make it seem way worse than it is I had been taking tramadol for 6 months straight and I just got off it a month ago and the worst thing was not being able to sleep but then I just got a prescription of Ambien CR so its all good

I didn't find tramadol withdrawal that awful. I was on about 200 mg of the stuff a day for over 3 months for an injury. I was ready to quit, because it was screwing up my sleep cycle, and I was tired of the slightly "disconnected" feeling I had. I had mild flu-like symptoms for 4 to 5 days and then I started feeling more like myself. I was also taking 2 to 3 5/500 mg tablets of vicodin during this time. So, as you can see, I was pretty well dosed up. Withdrawal is a real thing with opiates, no doubt, and one's experience will certainly vary depending on how much and how long you take it, but I sometimes wonder if all the intense anxiety stuff is based on all the fear built up around hyped-up withdrawal scenarious. My advice, get off the stuff as soon as you're ready. Plan on taking a few days off of work, create a long weekend, stock up on healthy foods, dvds, over the counter pain meds, and pretend you've got a nasty cold. As soon as you're up to it, start exercising, too. This helps your body flush out. You'll be fine. Good luck.

I was looking for an answer to whether or no Tramodol has the same horrible withdrawal symptoms as with Vicodin and the like.
I was taking Vicodin for 6 months straight at up to 40mg a day total, (torn achilles tendon) doc started holding back and I asked to switch to Tramodol thinking non-narcotic....less withdrawal, other issues etc.....It's now been 4 months, and I CAN NOT get off them.
I k now the dr. is going to stop giving me them eventually, since my pain is almost completely gone, but at this point, if I even go ONE DAY without taking them (at the same amount even! taking less is no better) I have every horrible indescribable symptom in the book.

There are even times when if I go to bed without taking them before I go to sleep, I wake up with cold sweats, shakes, and especially the "jumping out of your skin" our friend earlier said. It's a terrible yet indescribable feeling that no one who hasn't been through it can possibly understand. (even the doctors)

So here's MY question....any suggestions for the withdrawal? How long does it last? What can I do to get through it? Am I better to just tell my doctor that I can't get off them and fear the withdrawal and ask him to give me a taper down program to make it easier and risk looking like an addict?

I've got some Ativan on hand from when I made the switch from Vicodin and Percocet to Tramodol... should I start taking those religiously and sleep through the withdrawal?

Any advice would be appreciated

The withdrawl symptoms are very real my friends. I have been on 400 to 450mg (over the recommended dosage) for more than a year, and at the recommended dosage for the last 4 years. I stopped cold turkey three days ago, and I will agree with the guy above that it's extremely real, the panic attacks, the anxiety, the inability to sleep. I always have chronic pain (neuropothy from an incredible spinal fracture 19 years ago) so in addition to my general pain I have these strange and very real withrawl symptoms. I also take Endocet 10/650 x 4 per day, so that is helping when I can't sleep right now (although right now I am typing on this keyboard at midnight). I cam on here to see if there was something I could take to help besides the Endocet. I have one of my wife's ambien pills that I might try if I can't sleep tonight.

I told my pain management doc that I quit cold turkey and he didn't offer any suggestions (that was two days ago). I think he might be under the impression that since it's non-narcotic it should be no big deal, but it's pretty wicked. I came off of Cymbalta one time and that really sucked too, but it's a whole different deal. With Cymbalta my vision was all dizzy when I moved my eyeballs for about three or four days and I felt a little strange. This is worse by far. Tapering off would be wise I think but I didn't have that option this time.

I have noticed though, that my sensitivity to things both physically and mentally is much more acute now. I got to the point where the Tramadol was actually causing me more pain than it was helping.

I know that it can be difficult so you do need to take care when getting off the drug, but you should be able to handle it just fine if you taper off slowly. DOes that help> What's your tapering plan?

TraUmadol withdrawl is EXCRUCIATING. I've quit doing cocaine, alcohol, various opiates like Vicodin, Darvon, etc.. and I'm here to tell you that TraUmadol withdrawl is the real deal and not to be taken lightly. If famous "Thomas Recipe" for opiate withdrawl (google it) is said to work well. Personally, I went to the doctor to get 10 days worth of : 2mg tabs of Diazepam (valium) to take quell a bit of the anxiety, Chrorpheniramine for the nasal issues you're definitely going to have, bought some immodium for the diarrhea you're going to have and I stocked up on sugary foods and fruit juices. Oddly enough, the doc gave me some low dosage Darvocet to take "as needed" during the 10 days but I've only had to take them once or twice when it felt like midgets were hammering my back with baseball bats.

The first few days you are going to be tired, sweaty, anxious and often angry. Most of these first three days you'll be flat on your back. BUT, and this is huge, if you can force yourself to do even 15-20 minutes of exercise it will help.

Good luck. It gets better

I think that your post is very helpful and that it also details what to expect nicely. Thank you for posting it as I'm sure that people really would benefit from this knowledge!

I was on Tramadol for almost 2 years, at its worst it was over a 600mg per day habit. I had back problems and now have adhesive capsulitis in both shoulders (aka frozen shoulder). I was given tramadol to deal with the pain and was taking more and more as I developed a tolerance. In May I decided to start weaning myself off as I knew it wasn't a good thing. I was getting anxious when I was running low, never leaving the house for more than a few hours without knowing where my next dose was. I slowly went to 2 50mg tabs a day over the course of a few months. Now I'm 48 hours into withdrawal and so far I'm still alive. I had trouble sleeping last night and have the "crawling out of my skin" feeling, and I've got some flu-like symptoms but I expected worse the first 24-48 hours. (other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play? :-D ) I think the key is a long slowwww weaning off process. We'll see how it goes, but that Tramadol is some nasty stuff when used for a long period of time. CAUTION!

This might be a little late, but to the person who said they should just use Ativan and Percocet? If you didn't know, those have horrible withdrawal symptoms as well. If you ask me, Ativan withdrawal sucks worse than tramadol. I tried both for about 3 weeks straight (different times of the year) and had a horrible week after, both times. I was more weak with Ativan. No experience with Percocet but isn't it a narcotic?

i had been taking tramadol since i was 17 and quit about six months ago. (im 24 now) it definently wasnt easy! i went through hell with all of the physical withdrawl symptoms but the psychological part was worse. i couldnt concentrate and all i could think about was pills. i still get anxious and think about it sometimes but im definently a lot stronger now and feel a lot happier! it also helps to have someone to talk to and who will support you without judgement.