I am sure my wife has symptoms of ambien addiction. I’d like to help her somehow but it’s obvious my approach is so wrong. She started taking ambien longer than a year ago for chronic insomnia and now she is constantly on ambien I think she will lose her job if she continues like this. She is sleepy all the time, feel dizzy, she’s got coordination difficulties and is so thinking changeable and her behavior is odd also for it’s like she would have one opinion now and would change it in half an hour. I’m positive she’s ambien addict but the question is what I could do to get my wife back.

You could do much if you make her aware that she’s ambien addict for it is likely to be so and the worse thing is that those are not all the ambien addiction symptoms or to be more precise side effects. The good thing for start is even having a husband concerned like you’re for it helps a lot in making someone to start with ambient rehab treatment. I was also ambient addicted and know that ambien might cause even amnesia I used to forget everything after taking ambien but these are not all the possible ambien side effects for the list of ambient side effects is much longer: high blood pressure, fatigue, eye irritation, dry mouth, double vision, fatigue, dizziness, high blood sugar I even suffered from joint paint and bladder problems and my skin was all covered with rash. But finally I somehow decided to seek for help in Drug and Rehab Treatment Center, you got them worldwide and their rehabilitation programs are based on social education manner in treating addicts and are based on knowledge and constructive recovery steps. It took me 4 months to get rid of my addiction but it is worth it trust me. And if your wife is usually relaxed after taking ambient, or if she shows mood changing if she is extremely sensitive to light and sounds, whenever she feels unpleasant while is on ambien withdrawal or if she is preoccupied whenever she runs out of ambient than those are good signs of ambient addiction and she need to get an withdrawal treatment.

In reference to reply by Kore

You wrote to melinde:
"finally I somehow decided to seek for help in Drug and Rehab Treatment Center, you got them worldwide and their rehabilitation programs are based on social education manner in treating addicts and are based on knowledge and constructive recovery steps. "

Where!!!
I called several rehab facilities and they just said they are not equipped for that sort of addiction. Kore please feel free to contact me directly, as I would like to hear more of your story and treatment.

I have been hospitalized and diagnosed with also.
I have been an Ambien addict for almost 6 years. Worked well in the beginning. When I took my first dose, within ten minutes I was out like a light. Or at least I thought I was. My husband told me of the crazy things I would say. I always fell when I would get up to use the bathroom. After taking if for a while 10mg didn't work as well and it took more to get me to sleep. Ambien is very addictive and fast. I almost wrecked a 10-year marriage because of it. My husband loves me as you love your wife. I am a popular and once was a full time round dance instructor and it has affected my business severely. I rely in private lessons rather than classes because I my clients can be flexible to my sleep.

I hope and pray (truly) every day that I will someday overcome this serious addiction.

melinde
If your wife is using Ambien every night more than likely she is addicted. There is hope but it make take some sort of intervention. Because of laws her doctor cant talk to you. You should explain your situation to your doctor. He or she might just have some advice for you.

Hope the information was useful.

I have been addicted to both ambien and adderal for about 6 years and I never feel right. I can't sleep, I can't eat and I have no insurance (which means I'm spending up to 200+ on both prescriptions per month because I have to buy them in week-long doses (40.00/week). What can I do for myself if I cannot afford therapy or rehab.

I'm scared

In reply to Guest 07/08/07 - 21:29

I can relate to your situation, as I have been an Ambien addict for over 6 years. I do have insurance though. My insurance pays for a 30-day supply. I run through this in 15 days or less. Like you I spend a better of 200 plus a month to get all the Ambien I require. Ambien has changed me in so many ways mentally. I have had no success with trying to kick the addiction on my own. To this day I have not found any facility that is equipped to really handle Ambien addiction. Most facilities noted for prescription addiction are religious based. This simply wouldn't be the best for of treatment for myself.

it seems like anyone who increases the dose on their own has a problem. you should always talk to your doctor and keep an open dialogue about your prescriptions. if you take 1mg more than you were prescribed and don't tell your doctor, you have something to hide. be honest with your doctor so they can help you.

ambien can be highly psychologically addicting. physiologically, it has little addictive potential. weening doses is appropriate when you decide to stop treatment with ambien.

of course, if you typically watch tv before bed, take an ambien, and fall asleep; this will not occur once you stop ambien. watching tv before bed is a terrible habit and will keep you awake (turn your body "back on" or more alert).

try working on sleep habits while you are on ambien. allow yourself to get drowsy, take your ambien while in bed, and go to sleep.

hopefully, when you stop the ambien, you can maintain these healthy sleep habits. and hopefully, after a few days or weeks of bad sleep, you will be able to stay off of ambien.

i am not a doctor, but a concerned patient. please always talk to your doctor before making any adjustments to your medications and before following advice you find online.

Point of return *dot* com offers help to get off of Ambien etc. My wife is trying to get off of it now.

I have been taking Ambien for almost 2 years now, but I only take my prescribed amount and it works fine.
I do still have periods of time that I don't remember if I don't go to sleep right away. But I usually take it right when I lay my head down.
I can make my prescription last the whole month. Overall, I don't have any bad symptoms. I make it through the day, I'm not falling over or any other problems, but I'm just afraid it is doing something to me that I am not feeling.
I would like to get off of it, but not sure how to do it without losing sleep for weeks. And wanting to kill everyone.
What do I do?

I didn't realize that I was addicted to ambien until I got really irritated when I accidently threw out my perscription and was having problems replacing it. A friend talked about it being addictive and I thought no way am I. I looked up some horror stories and realized I was starting to have those tendancies. I just stopped it I won't ever take it again. It's not suppose to be used for long term. It doesn't cure insomnia it only treats it. Have you tried talking to your doctor about taking something else to ween off of the ambien? I heard that melatonin which you find in the vitamin section of a walgreens works really well when weening off of ambien. But I would ask your doctor before you do anything. I wish everyone much luck on never becoming addicted to ambien.

My wife is suffering from severe ambien addiction, taking up to 60 at
a time, where a half used to do the trick. It has been several years
in the process.

This is a dangerous drug.
You cannot help your wife with this addiction, or any addiction for that
matter. If she is truly addicted she will not stop this behavior regardless
of any threat of any action.

Reporting this behavior to a doctor will mean she will just go see someone
else, and is a waste of your time.

Help yourself, go to Nar-anon meetings.
Find peace within yourself to accept her as an addict, but at the
same time pray that she will get help, in her own way and her own time
no matter how low she goes with the addiction/

In the end helping yourself first has the best chances of helping her in the
long run.

I was an ambien user for 7 years i finally got help after having very bad withdrawls, i would have gran mal seizures and couldnt remember my name or for that matter anything else. My personality changed i always wanted to be inside i didnt care to see my family or do things anymore. It didnt help that i worked in a pharmacy and i had easy access to the drug. Well since then i dont work in a pharmacy anymore ive been ambien free for 4 yrs and i feel great. Its a very hard addiction to overcome i feel for anyone going through this. My advice to you is you really have to want to quit if your not ready you will never achieve this goal you will constatly be back and forth with it. When your finally ready accept that you are actually addicted and seek help, for me it took having a seizure in front of my entire family and them finally knowing i had an addiction, i went to the hospital and just said im addicted to ambien and i need help, it was the hardest thing i ever went through but trust me once you get that sleep you know your own sleep its the best thing in the world. Good luck to you all

Currently writing a book about Ambien Addiction (Zoldipem) After struggling with this drug for years, I am now writing about it. I am looking for others who are willing to share their own personal stories to include in my book. I believe our experiences are not as uncommon as the drug's maker would indicate, and that by sharing our experiences we can help others as well.
I am sincere and easy to work with. Completely confidential. Names will be changed to protect identity.

**edited by moderator**

Is there any way other than rehab? My dad is the one I'm concerned about - when he takes Ambien he doesn't go to sleep, just acts like he's drunk. He has sworn he'll quit several times, once when I told him that it was emotionally painful for me, once after he busted his arm and leg open while showering under Ambien's influence, and most recently after he was arrested for falling asleep at the wheel. Now he's at it again. My parents are divorced and I don't live with my dad, so there's not a chance of either of us convincing him now. My question is, what do I do??? I know he won't go for the rehab suggestion. Please, somebody give me some advice...

I was addicted to ambien for two years... a year of that taking 30 a night...

There's an alcohol and drug rehab center in Havre De Grace Maryland called Ashley... i did a 28 day there for treatment (it was a little costly though at 30000)

Hope this helps

Hi. I just got out of detox for Ambien addiction and am currently enrolled in an intensive outpatient program for it. I would love to share my story (been hard-core addicted for over three years) if it will help others. Thanks.