I've been taking citalopram for just over a year now and have been back and forth to the doctors about my excessive weight gain (3 stone and rising) I was reassured that the medication wasn't causing it but having spent 9 months pregnant and returned to pre-pregancy weight straight away, it seems more than a coincidence that I have ballooned whilst taking it. I'm stopping taking it because being so big is overriding any effects the meds are having on my depression anyway. %-)

I have been on anti-depressents for 7 years. About two years ago a new doctor switched me to Citalopram. I was extremely skinny (size 0) and weighed under 100 lbs, but I am only 5'1'' and had weighed this since highschool. I put on a few pounds at first but the real gain started about 6 months in. I weighed 121 lbs last week. I gained weight so fast that I grew out of my wedding dress twice before the wedding (only a 5 month period). I do not eat bad. I have a protien shake for breakfast, snack lightly throughout the day and have a good dinner. I have never been into junk food or sweets. Now I am working out four times a week and have not really lost any weight! I feel horrible about my weight gain. Funny thing is, when I saw my doctor about the weight gain, because it was so much so fast... she did not even mention that it could have been the Citalopram. I am convienced after reading this that it is. :-( Now what am I going to do! I need the meds but they will do me no good if I continue to grow like this!

I was on it for a year and a half. I put on 30 lbs. Then I started really working out and running a lot, and I was still not losing weight. I got off of it about 8 weeks ago. I've lost 10 lbs. People are starting to say things about me losing weight. Considering I've been working with a physical trainer all of this time (that I was on Celexa), it has to be the drug that was causing these issues. Who can run 9 miles and workout all the time and NOT lose weight? I don't get along with Celexa.

Hi, I started taking citalopram around October I put on 12 pounds by the beginning of January! I have worked out for years and could always control my weight and appetite. I'm working out longer and harder....I haven't lost a pound!!! I was prescribed this med for depression....I'm really depressed now. Everytime I step on the scale I just want to cry. I'm quiting these pills!!!

its good to know that its not only me that is having this problem with citalopram , i have always gone to the gym and been able to control my weight but now after 6 months trying to lose weight , i work hard at the gym i've been going 6 days a week to the gym and havent lost anything, i ve been working out harder than ever, i've put on 10kg since ive been on these pills, how depressing , n unmotivating >:(

Does this med slow your metabolism? I've used it on and off for about three months and I've gained five pounds too. But I was pregnant a year ago and my hormones change a lot during this time. 

I took citalopram for nine months and in that time my weight bounced from 78 kg to 107 kg. I hate the drug, have stopped taking and will rather battle depression without drugs than be this heavy.

I have been taking Citalopram for Seven months now and I thought 117lbs at 5'1 was heavy now I am 130 and I can't lose it!! I shy away from sex because I feel like cow. I have 3 sisters in a size 4 so its hard to be the fat sister. I am on this med for anxiety but I don't care I'm weaning off. Weight gain and less of a sex life are a deal breaker with me!  As for being pregnant I too lost my prego weight asap each time!

I have been taking Citalopram for the last 7 years or so, on and off. regularly for the last 18 months and funnily enough I cam off them in 2010 and noticeably lost weight - I bought a dress in that time and then I went back on them - I have never got into that dress again despite doing Slimming World, lots of diets and fads, exercising - everything! Now, it has become clear! I weigh over 11 and a half stones and I feel dreadful! I stopped taking them abruptly 4 weeks ago and had such terrible dizzy spells that I was scared into taking them again but I am DEFINITELY coming off them now!

I am so glad there are websites like this as I was going mad...

I will repost once they are out of my system and advise on any weight loss... My mental state has massively improved to what it was so I was only taking them due to horrendous withdrawal but worth it to be slimmer again...

THANK YOU ALL - keep posting!

I have just ordered a book called DIETS DON'T WORK by BOB SCHWARTZ - wish I had read this forum first! lol

Kerry xxxx

Thank goodness I have found the reason for my strange weight gain! I started Citalopram at the end of October last year. I've always been really slight (110lbs at 5 ft 4.5) and when I've gained a little weight from a holiday or christmas it's always dropped off when I get back in to my normal routine. I used to do Davina fitness DVD's 4/5 times a week but having grained a few pounds (which I put down to over eating at Christmas) I changed to a different workout called Insanity which is supposed to significantly reduce your weight and tone you up. I was on the minimum of calories (1400) for this workout even though it was recommended I ate 1600/1700 per day and I've not lost a pound - in fact I've gained a couple since starting it!!! I've only gained 7/8 llbs so far but only been on this 5 months so what happens on month 6?? Judging by some of the other replies it could start to get worse and what's more I'm always so hungry and have started taking appetite suppressants!! Does anyone know how this drug causes one to gain weight? For the first time in my life my bum and thighs are getting fat and my jeans feel tight - I hate it!

Fitness Freak wrote:

Saggybelly wrote:

I forgot to mention, I'm only on 15mg. I started on 5mg, went up to 10mg a month later then 15mg in January. I thought about raising to 20mg recently but definitely going to try and wean off now - has anyone thought of St. John's Wort and 5-HTP? I'm looking into them

Fitness Freak wrote:

Fitness Freak wrote:

Saggybelly wrote:

Hi

I have done lots of research and it seems that Citalopram and similar SSRI's slow your metabolism down which would explain a lot to me and they increase your appetite - the two of those toegether.. WEIGHT GAIN - Once thing I do remember is that back when I was very first prescribed them I did have eating issues and Citalopram was a drug that was given to Bullemia or Anorexia sufferers so that makes sense to me now (the weight gain)
I also want to add that Citalopram did help me however I am no longer depressed or anxious I just have 'bad days' like the rest of the World - i have partaken in considerable therapy and my 'tool box' is full of strategies to help me cope with everyday emotional hurdles...I am now weaning off the drug and please listen to this... DO NOT JUST STOP TAKING this medication - I have done that twice before and it is horrendous! I ended up taking the drug again just to stop the withdrawals and then became dependent on it but NOT for its benefits just to STOP the brain shocks...Even my GP was not aware of the withdrawal severity...

Here is what I have done this time and it seems to be working. I went down from 20mg to 10mg and took 10mg per day for 2 weeks, I then cut these 10mg's in HALF and tok 5mg per day for 2 weeks then took 5mg every other day for ONE week, then 5mg every 3 days for ONE WEEK and then stopped. I am feeling the 'whooshy' floaty feeling but not as bad as before and it has now been over a week with NO tablets and it is not bad at all... I WILL NOT GO BACK ON THESE...
I will repost and let you know about my weight loss... I have lost 4lbs so far...
Thanks for listening.. hope this helps in some way to someone...

Kerry

I am so happy to have found this thread. I've gained over 65 lbs in 3 years on this drug and I was heavy to begin with. I am weaning off them starting now because they no longer work to stop my depression, so why take them? I honestly wish I had NEVER started an SSRI to begin with. Here's hoping that I can lose the weight when I'm weaned off Celexa by changing my diet and adding more exercise. I am tired of being depressed and having chronic pain due to the weight gain! I have also started having sleep apnea due to the weight gain. Not worth the time it did help.

Hi Guest...

I hear what you are saying... I was SOOOOOOOO pleased to have found this forum - PLEASE, PLEASE wean yourself off them gradually - If you are anything like me and you probably just want them out of your system but STOP and think - the withdrawals of this drug are horrendous if not weaned off - I feel wonderful already, really, I do... the whooshy feelings are dissipating too so coming off them gradually really has helped.

I have just ordered the book 'Potatoes not prozac' - I am very aware that i am addicted to sugar and I have heard so many positive remarks about this book from people who are like me... why not give it a go too?

Try not to expect too much too soon and try not to beat yourself up.

Good Luck - Keep me posted.

Kerry xx

I have gained 10 kgs in the last 3 months since I have been taking citalopram. Up until then I had managed to go from 117kg to 102 kg and was proud of that effort. Now I am back up to 112kgs!!!! I have decided to ditch the citalopram and see what happens with the weight....I have been on it for the 3 months and am feeling ok so we see how it goes............