I was on Celexa for 6 months and put on around 20 lbs. What a devastating thought! I thought that It would go away once I got off but it’s not melting. The thing is that I have always been thin and now I can’t loose weight. Does anybody know how long it takes for pounds to get off after stopping celexa? THx

You see, the funny thing is that I have been on celexa for 6 months as well and haven’t gained any but I suffered extreme withdrawal effects. Maybe the pounds won’t go away on it’s own, maybe you will have to work on it. Try exercise and modify your diet! Maybe this helps!!!

I was on Celexa for a year and a half and also gained 20 pounds that I could not lose. I was sick of this and decided to gradually reduce and discontinue the drug. I had tried everything to lose the weight with no success, but about a year after stopping the medication, all of a sudden, my weight began to gradually go with none of the previous effort. I couldn't believe it. HOWEVER, since then I had another MAJOR depressive episode with severe anxiety and was restarted on Celexa. This time around however - I am watching!! I notice a big increase in appetite and when I eat I still feel hungry. I suspect this went unnoticed last time and I probably just kep right on going with food until I felt full (which caused the weight gain). I am making healthier choices now with lots of fibre and wholegrains which are a better and fill you for longer. I have now been on Celexa for four months and have gone through two dosage increases which see me now taking 60mg daily. I am pleased to report my weight increased by 5 pounds over the four months - bearing in mind I lost 10 when I was depressed!! I am much more aware this time around and it seems to be helping greatly.

superuser wrote:

Being only 5 feet tall, I couldn't AFFORD weight gain on Celexa, but my appetite has been uncontrollable (although I had a good diet with lots of fruist and veggies), and I can't fit into anything in my closet. My doctor put me on it about a year ago, and didn't even tell me it was an anti-depressive drug. She said she wanted to put me on it to help with anxiety. Not once did I consider myself depressed.

I've been trying to wean myself off, and have noticed that my appetite is normalizing, but the weight isn't budging. I have also had some bouts with dizzyness, which I had no clue was associated with withdrawal, because I felt similarly when I went to a doctor for a totally unrelated issue and discovered I was severly anemic.

At my age and with my body build, getting this weight off is going to be very difficult, perhaps impossible. I didn't feel depressed when I started taking Celexa, but I do now. Just goes to show that no matter how much you trust the judgment of your physician, you should always DO YOU HOMEWORK on any prescriptive treatment BEFORE popping anything in your mouth.

I'm still taking Fosomax and Lisinipril, and I don't like that either, but I've not found any truly effective, non-prescriptive :? ways of treating the conditions they are targeted to address.

I have been on Celexa for a year and a half, I was taking 80mg along with wellbutrin, abilify, and effexor. I just recently stopped. Although i did gain weight while on it, i also had a ton of other meds too that made me gain weight, including the depo shot. But when taking this medication, my tremors stopped, thank god that was horrible and affected me everyday. But it quit, I have been off the meds now for a week and I have been feeling sooooo faint and having vertigo, I have also have been having very very vivid nightmares. I have noticed that I have been eating more since i have stopped taking it but that also has a lot to do with my home life and everything else in life. My constipation has decreased a lot too. I have been anemic for quite some time and have to take 2x the average treatment dose with makes me constipated, and i guess the celexa was doing it as well. But my tremors came back and my weight is fluctuating so much. This medication has done so much crappy stuff to my life. I am glad I am off it but I also am having some horrible withdrawl symptoms too. =[

I got on this site today because I was considering seeing my doctor. I have been taking celexa for 8 months. I started gaining weight over the last 3 months. The doctor told me to gradually start weaning myself off in the spring,which is now.  Three weeks ago, I began taking celexa only on Mon, Wed and Fri. I find myself angry all the time and it's only getting worse. I think I hate the world. I see now that these are common side effects. I still think I'll go back to the doctor. This anger is kind of scary. Thank you all for sharing and shedding some light on this for me.

I was on Celexa for 10 years and decided in January to wean myself off....I have noticed i have become an angry person with a short fuse....Just recently i have started to once again have anxiety issues..Had to start taking Klonopin felt like i couldn't breathe..Going to see the doctor on Friday I guess i will have to go back on the Celexa...I have also gained alot of weight since taking the drug and this was one of the reasons i decided to come off.  Weight still hasn't changed since stopping..Fed up what a vicious cycle...

My doctor has reacently switched me from Celexa to Cymbalta because I've gained 15 pounds with the Celexa.  Has anyone else had weight loss after switching to Cymbalta?

I have been on celexa for 12 months.  I could not understand why I had gained 14lbs during this time.  I did not connect the 2, however I noticed I had little discipline in my eating habits and would eat junk whenever I wanted rather than thinking about the adverse effects.  Although i was only on 20mg, my moods were better and I felt very calm.  Now I know the side effects, I am weaning myself off the drug and have dropped to 10mg.  I certainly notice I am not hungry all the time and I get full quicker however I am so irritable and weepy!!!

I have warned people around me that this is just temporary and also artificial and no reflection on them or I.

I weighed myself, I still weigh the same but feel less blimpy.

Gained 36lbs :/ hardly eat and still was gaining and gaining

I have been on celexa for 6 years for severe GAD. My highest dose was 60 mg. I cut back to 40 and then tried to quit cold turkey as I had gone from 115 pounds (5'3" female) to 140 pounds seemingly overnight. When I tried cold turkey, I put on 10 additional pounds. My doctor told me this was "paradoxical weight gain"... I was furious!

I went back on, but reduced to 20 mg, then 10 and soon 5 over 3 week spans. From the time I hit 150 pounds until now (being celexa free for 6 days!) I had been exercising ridiculous amounts. Bikram yoga 5 days a week, 3 days a week with at least an hour long bike ride, and 6 days of vigorous thiry minute walks. I also cut my calorie intake down to 800/day which is ridiculously low, but at 1400 (my basal metabolic rate, I was still packing on the pounds) and 1200 my weight wouldn't budge. It took four and a half months of this regime just to shed 15 pounds! So far six days into being celexa free... my weight has remained at 135. I am hoping it does not go back up, because I really do not want to go back on this AWFUL drug.

Other side effects from stopping are EXTREME irritability and ridiculous increased libido, as well as a weird whip lash-like dizzy feeling and tingling throughout my entire body after such a feeling.

People always ask in these forums why it makes you gain weight; honestly, I did NOT have increased appetite and did NOT eat more so that theory is blown as far as I'm concerned. I kept a food diary and was very meticulous with calorie counting. I truly believe that the body does not know how to handle this foreign substance and stores it as fat. The majority of my weight is in my stomach/hip area. I hardly gained any weight any where else. I went from a size 4 to a size 12! And for those who don't believe that it happened so fast... my wardrobe has no sizes in between. Only until recently when I had to buy pants that fit, a size 8.

To people considering quitting, I say go for it, but do it very slowly and consult your doctor. If your doctor is anything like mine was and tries to keep you on the drug instead of listening to your concerns, RUN!

I have been on Celexa (Citalopram) for 1.5 years i have just weaned myself off (going from 40mg to 20mg to 10mg to 5mg - 1 week at a time). I have now been off the medication completely for 2 whole weeks.

The withdrawals were bad but managable - mainly nausea, metallic taste in mouth, tired, dizzziness, diarrhea, mood swings.

The reason i have come off the Celexa is because of the horrible weight gain.

Before i went on them i spoke to many doctors and they all told me they shouldn't cause weight gain... This is completely incorrect. Before the medication i always weighed 50Kg (i know this sounds very light but that is what i ahve always weighed)... And now after 1.5 years i have put on 10Kg's. No matter what i did the weight would not budge while i was on them... To even lose 1 or 2 Kg's meant i barely ate at all! The low carb diet does work to some extent but you will be starving

Now i am off them and i just want to lose the weight. I hate looking in the mirror and not seeing 'me' - I look like someone else.

I am so angry that Doctors won't tell you the truth - ANTIDEPRESSANTS MAKE YOU PUT ON WEIGHT. It is not because you eat more when you are on them, they actually cause weight gain.

In the end i coudn't deal with the ongpoing weight gain so i have come off them and will see how i do... So far i actually feel better and have a lot more energy... But my self confidence is at an all time low... One of the reason i went on the medication was for self confidence - you think they should have mentioned that the tablets may cause weight.

Does anyone know how long it will take for me to start shedding weight now i am off the pills?

I have reduced my calorie intake to 950 per day and am excersising a minimum of 30 minutes per day. Is there anything else i can do to help?

How did everyone else go with weight loss?

missSMH wrote:

I was on celexa for a year and gained 20lbs! I have been completely off now for 2 months, eating extremely healthy and exercising 5-6 x's a week. I have yet to see a change in weight . I am so frustrated and everytime i see myself in a picture i cry. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for the weight to start dropping?

I put on approx 15 pounds while in citalopram and for no good reason, I kept a good exercise routine and a relatively decent diet. this summer I got sick of seeing myself looking so fat in photos and due to other side effects, I decided it was finally time to quit.

First of all, to all you people who went off the medication and found yourself a really angry person - this happened to me too. My temper went through the roof to the point where I was wondering how it was that I came off of celexa being more angry and more depressed than I was before the drug. I have no scientific data to back this up but I think this is is some sort of withdrawal side effect that no one seems to recognise. I remember reading somewhere that the drug stays in your system for 35 hours but I know for a fact I had withdrawal for a lot longer than just 35 hours.

I think if you take a drug for years, it does change your brain and I don't think you can expect to go back to what you were before within weeks. I think it takes a while.

I just wanted to tell all of you suffering from long term withdrawal (anger for example), that it does get better but unfortunately for me it took two months before I found some relief. I also started seeing a psychologist and an accupuncturist at the same time. Some days I wish I could go back to the drug but most of the time I know you can beat depression and anxiety without medication. So please don't give up!!!

As for the weight, in the past two months I have been on a vigorous exercise schedule. 7 days a week, running ,dance class and swimming. The weight just hasn't budged. It has only been three months though. I'm hoping that it will happen eventually. Maybe if the people posting on this forum stay in touch and let us know when they lose the weight, it can give some hope to those of us still waiting to lose that weight.

Since posting two months ago, I am slowly starting to see a change in my weight. I left off at 135 and now I am 131. I had to stop the extreme exercise regime and have only been walking about 2 miles a day 5-6 days per week, but the weight IS coming off. I am eating normally and not restricting calorie intake. I'm sure if I tried, I would lose more, but it's nice to not have to struggle to see this excess weight come off. I hope this helps people wondering when you start to "go back to normal" in regards to weight.

As for other withdrawal side effects, I started to have horrendous panic attacks again. Even with lessons learned from cognitive therapy sessions years ago, there's no way I can stop the attacks from happening. Some nights I wake from a sound sleep in a panic attack. I try to calm myself with deep breathing and positive self-talk, only helps for about 30 seconds before I panic again. And by "panic again", I mean having only physical symptoms of panic: rapid heartbeat, difficulty breathing, feelings of going crazy, or thinking I'm about to die because of the physical symptoms and feeling like I need to go to the ER because I can't calm down. I had a physical within the past two weeks, and had bloodwork and everything, so it's not anything other than panic for sure. Out of fear and frustration I started taking the klonopin I was also prescribed (and had successfully withdrawn from) before going to bed to be able to function.

I called my prescribing doctor and he said it was probably from the Celexa withdrawal. That being said now I have to come to terms that I will probably have to take the klonopin for a while to help manage this crazy panic until I can again, slowly taper off of that (not easy). I will not give up though, I am determined to finally free myself from these pills, and take my life back and my figure.