Users comments and reviews on article Down’s syndrome: What Parents Need to Know by Dana Fenton

When I had my son who is now 10 years old and he was diagnosed with DS, I was shocked to say the least. I was a healthy 20 year old, never had done drugs, and rarely drank. but that has nothing to do with your child having DS or not. I know this is a worry for people, BUT, DS is not the worst thing that can happen. Even if I had known my son had DS while being pregnant I would not have aborted him. He is a smart, regular 10-year old boy, he is the SAME as any other 10-year old, and he loves to play Nintendo DS, play soccer, and swim all types of things. If anything I think he is one of the lucky people in the world who love life, and go through life happy. Wouldn't you want to just be truly 100% happy, have no worries? I sure would for one day! Every one is different but I just wouldn't want ppl to freak out and make a rash decision if you find out your baby has DS...he is still your baby. When my son was born I said to my mother "I had so many dream, hopes and plans for him" and she said " well , all you have to do is have new dreams, hopes and goals for him". That moved me because I though, she is right. What's the big deal, sure maybe he will take longer to do things, big deal..there are "normal people" who screw up their lives with drugs/alcohol etc..and here I am feeling sad because this child might learn a bit slower....big deal. I got over it and raised a beautiful, talented boy, who I adore. Life is what is it, and sometimes you have to thank God for what he has given you, because he has chosen you to look after "his gifts". Good luck all.