Users comments and reviews on article Overprotective parents by SirGan

This article should be well read over and over again by ALL parents, bearing in fact that not most parents aree overprotective.
Being a 15 year old teenager, I feel this way about my parents. They are TOO over protective! I can't go ANYWHERE by myself, and NOWHERE without them coming along with me.
Us youngsters need at least an hour a day of freedom; Especially when it comes to the school break.
Independance is what we need to focus on as we grow up. Our parents wont be there for us all our lives to cater for us, thus we need to learn and to experience to do it ourselves.
Now, I understand that they 'care' for us and 'fear' losing us or putting us into the risk of danger, but we need time for ourselves. Everything we do is written down on a page of our own individual history, and I'd like to have some fun with friends, by ourselves, in at least 3,000 of the billion pages I have.
Like birds, when they learn to take off and feed themselves, we need to be freed for a period of time as well, with our parents bearing in mind that we will return.
Now, please recomend my message; This message goes to ALL ages.
And I hope someone will change how parents protect their children for future hand. If not me, then you.

Thank you.

xx Nicole.

Hi =) I'm fifteen aswel, and i know exactly what it's like to have overprotective parents. Mine are the worst when it comes to that, trust me... When i go somewhere, they always bring me by car, and pick me up again. I can never stay anywhere later than 6oclock. I've never been to a party, and i only once (recently) slept over with a friend (a girl offcourse). Especially my mom is very protective. I can't even go to the store around the corner or to the movies by myself or with a friend. She'll always want to go with me. I hate her being like that, because, being overprotective kind of will work backwards: you'll want to do things, but you aren't allowed to do them, so you'll try to do them without them knowing you do. I hate lieing, but they don't leave me much of a choice. I do want to make one thing clear: I'm not a rebel, I'm a very good, smart girl. There's no reason to not trust my intentions. The worst thing is that she can't communicate. I can't tell her she is like that, because she would not believe she is all that bad. She thinks she does it for my own good, but please... you have to let teenagers expierence their youth, don't you? You have to let them learn from their mistakes... They won't learn anything by preventing them to make mistakes.

You both have absolutely no idea what overprotective parents are until you realise you're almost TWENTY and that most of the things you did growing up were watch television and go on the computer. Hell, you can count the amount of friends you have on one hand only and the only thing you want to do is GET OUT.

One of my parents seemed to think that the only thing to being a child is to study and do work around the house. I didn't think I'd still be here at this point because one of my parents ruined my chance of getting away from this misery. As I said you know nothing about overprotectiveness. I didn't have a game system because one of my parents thought it was only going to further waste my time and their money; even if I said I would buy it myself. Almost 20 and still here...The thought seems pathetic to me even. I spent most of my life being freakishly bored and not doing much. Reading is my escape, and once I was reading too much...Hopefully all that will change this year. Can you believe one of my parents are still trying to ruin that for me too? It won't happen though. Now I'm an adult and I'll be leaving this godforsaken house! Good luck with your situations though.

I totally agree that there needs to be something done about this overprotective parents epidemic!!!!! I don't think they these parents really understand how this can affect their children later in life. Case and point...me!

I'm 19 years old with THE most overprotective parents in the world. I can name several situations growing up where I could not partake in social events because my parents flat out said "NO", with giving a reasonable reason!!! I'm in my 2nd semester of college and still living at home. ugh! My first pick of the college I wanted to go to was shot-down by my parents because they thought it was too far away, when its only a state above where i live. WTF! It gets better, the college they wanted me to go to was the same distance apart, only a state below where I live because my 4.0 scholarship and pageant winning cousins goes there. They are pushing me to be just like them!!! It didn't matter what state the college is in, wherever my cousins go, my parents wanted to me go, which is a shitty reason to go in the first place. Anyway, the reason why the story gets better is because in order for me to live on campus for my 1st pick in college (which im not attending), my parents had to sign a consent form since I was under 19 @ the time. THEY REFUSED several times before finally caving in and signing the damn sheet. That was the worst feeling ever, because it made me feel like I have no choice in what I want to do in life!!!

I love my parents, but I wish they would trust me more and not treat me like a kid. I cannot wait til I move out!!!

I don't want to get into too much detail (but i think i am already lol) but I do have more stories that further support the overprotectivness in parents should be a sin! All throughout elem. school, I had to turn down several party invitations, sleepovers, and just plain hanging out with friends because my parents thought I was tooo young to go to those things even though there was ALWAYS a parent supervising those events. It totally pissed me off because growing up, kids younger than were able to go to those events, but I didn't understand why i couldn't.

Other things I was not allowed to do growing up includes participating in sports outside of school (even though my freshman year in high school i play tennis and softball and loved ever moment of it), not allowed to wear makeup til I am frkin 18 yrs old, hanging outside of school with friends unless it was school related ( i had to beg my parents to let me go out with my friends), etc.

Im the only girl in my family surrounded by my 2 bros who don't experience this at all. They are able to go out with friends and stuff. WTF!!! it sad because wen I am allowed out of my house, i either had to play mommy and bring my younger bro along which was a drag, or if i my bro isn't there my parents would, "check up on me" where i was to see if i was okay. BUT THEY'VE NEVER DONE THAT WITH MY BROTHERS. NEVER. my dad has followed me twice and even accused me of meeting somebody up with somebody where I was o_O...and i still have more stories. When I was a freshman in HS, i went to the mall to hangout with my friend just walking round, chillin. well my mom was suppose to only drop us off and we would call her when we were ready to leave, well when we got to the mall, she put the car in park...and kept it in park. she told us that we were too young to go in the mall by ourselves, so the only way we were still able to go if she was their...literally. all she did was follow us at a distance. it was terrible! i felt really bad cuz we were walkin fast just to ditch her! i love hangout with her but that was really unnecessary. i felt bad the whole entire time i was there.

One more story, every though i could go on forever on this topic. when i was a senior in HS, i worked at a bank and after 5pm everybody leaves the bank except mitch and I cuz we have the closing shift. so after 5pm there is only him and I, no manager or nothing to watch us. so every time my dad would come pick me up, he would always be mean muggin mitch cuz he doesn't trust him or agrees with the fact that its just me and him when everybody else left.

The worst part of it is, is on my social and dating life. my friends keep asking me to go to the club with em, but since im living at home, my parents don't like that kinda of behavior since guys are more than likely to be drunk and start hitting you. there are two great guys in my life i let slip away because i could never go out with them cuz they say no 99.9%
to anything social that is not school related. when i do get to go out, i cherish those times.

I know my life seems pretty pathetic by I try not looking at it that way. im very thankful for the friends i got to help me get through this madness. i give my parents no reason not to trust me. i don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, i get good grades, etc. i don't know whats wrong. it really irks me to see that the ppl would so smoke, drink, and do drugs gets to go and do whatever the hell they want while im confined in this home.

My parents (my mother for the most part) is not exactly overprotective. However, as my sister and I were growing up, she'd make comments like "Oh, you're listening to music, you must be becoming a teenager." Basically she scared us about growing up. My sister was someone able to somewhat deal with this and now has a boyfriend and group of friends even though her curfew is 9:00. I am a year older than my sister (I'm 18) and have not been able to deal with this quite as well. My mother wanted us to stay little kids forever. This lead me to develop an eating disorder (which no one ever knew about), lose nearly all the few friends I had (she made a huge deal about going out with friends and wouldn't let us out alone with friends to the mall until finally the day before my freshman year in high school my aunt just took me and my sister and we went on our own), so far I have never had a boyfriend or been kissed. My sister is my best friend and while this may not seem like such a bad thing, it is when she is the only person I hang out with outside of school. I have always been very shy which doesn't help, but I wish my mother had not been so controlling and against me growing up. It has to happen sometime...Anyway, now I feel like I wasted my entire high school experience spending Friday and Saturday nights watching TV, on the computer, or going to movies with my mom. I probably went out a total of five times with people other than my sister. However I am getting more and more excited about starting college in the fall since I am going to a school 2,000 miles away. I am hoping to get a fresh start. If there are kids in a position like I was I'd like to say to them that growing up isn't scary, never let parents hold you back and there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

SirGan wrote:

So heres my story....
I am also a fifteen year old girl, my wildest night has been staying home watching movies on t.v (which ive seen a million times) my mom is UNBEARABLY overprotective she drives me to the very brink of insanity! I promise im going to end up in an insane asylum (knock on wood!) so here we go.

Once me and my sister were walking around our neighborhood, something we frequently do so our mom SHOULD be used to it right, well we are across the neighborhood walking back from the lake and it's 6:30 pm the sun is sinking and night is coming. Suddenly my cell phone rings guess who? yeah caller id reveals "house" calling. I answer and of course before i could even say hello i hear a high pitched heavily accented phillipino voice on the phone screaming the words i know by heart.. "Where are you!? Do you know its getting dark!?!? I want you home now!" I reply with the same old "okay but it'll take a while so don't freak out if we aren't home in your obligatory thirty seconds" click. so we are walking home and ten minutes later i get a call from our neighbor tyler (classmate) he asks me where we are and he sounds annoyed/worried i tell him "walking home" and he tells me to get my ass home cause our mom is going crazy looking for us. Well sh*t! so i tell her not to freak but of course she does well in the next five minutes i get massive texts from our neighbors and also classmates ty, and sheri, telling us our mom stopped by their houses looking for us. then our mom calls. damn. so i answer the phone and she sounds absolutely hysterical wondering where we are threatening to call the police if we don't get home in five seconds. i tell her to stay on the phone and walk outside and when she does there we are standing in the yard. she hangs up and says oh.... of course im pissed at this point and i just say i told you not to freak and you did the exact opposite... she goes on to say how we could've gotten kidnapped/raped and i just slam the door in her face because i get that sh*t all the time! i never get to stay the night at my friends house not even the ones ive known all my life because she thinks everyones out to get us and rape us.... she doesnt allow us to even glance at boys because she thinks they are gonna either rape us or fall in love and when we reject them they will go crazy and murder us and the next thing you know we have a knife stuck in our chests at the bottom of some lake..

everytime i get near the door she says i better not go anywhere because i have to stay home and clean. f**k that. so now i just leave the house and walk around my neighborhood without her knowing and yeah it pisses her off but frankly ive just gotten to the point where i stop caring.

once we tried to go wrapping and my mom said you better not go cuz youll come back pregnant. i swear she has this crazy idea that im going to get pregnant but f.y.i mom if you havent noticed. im a fudgin straight a god loving student who knows better than to get knocked up by some guy whos not even worth my time! does she freakin want me to be a lesbian or something!

and yes if i get lower than a 95 on my report card then im considered "failing in her household"

i love sports soccer and cheerleading are my passion and the best part is my mom hates me being in sport cuz i dont focus on school. not true.

surprisingly im very popular and guys are wild about me but i never can date them because of my freaking mom! she said if i get a boyfriend im going to the all girls catholic school in beaumont. how fun

she thinks shes "protecting me" from "going wild" but guess what!? im still smart and i dont do f*****g drugs or drink or a s*** cuz basically im not an id**t but i DO sneak out at night to go hang with the girls, and i lie to my parents where im going to hang out with my friends, and i just go against them... i talk back ALOT, and i dont give a sh*t what they say. i like boys and im about to have a boyfriend and if they have a problem with it well too bad because im not going to no nun school. i never give them my phone and i manipulate what they say so it ends up in a yes you cna go to her house instead of no.

i apologize if this is so long but i have so much anger towards them that its good to get it out. i have a TON more stories and comments and i could prbly relate to everyone who comments on this site...

Im 17 my parents are really strict. I hate it, they never let me go out and about on my own or with my friends, i feel like I’m not getting the independence i should be getting, my mum says that I am very naive but that’s not my fault, I should be allowed to go out and learn what is right and wrong , that’s the only way.

I can’t even talk too them about it, they don’t understand my point of view. If they stop me doing something I will do it even more.

I am a Muslim and my mum and dad both want me to wear my head scarf in college. I don’t want to wear it and feel more comfortable with not wearing it. I feel like I fit in more.

They drop me off to college and pick me up, my dad picks me up, as soon as I get into the car he starts giving me lectures about my life and that its bad to go out and about, he also talks about guys and how they are ALL bad, he’s only seen the negative view of going out and about. I have free periods in college so in that time I go out; if they won’t give me my independence I will get it myself somehow.

I got a phone when I was 16 and it got taken off me within months, my mum found out i had guy mates on msn and went mad at me. She took my phone off me because she might have thought I gave my number out to some guy, but I didn’t. A week after she took my phone off me I went and got another one<< that’s what I mean by if they stop me I’m going to do it even more.

I am 20 years old and going to do my third year at college. I dread going home for vacations because i know when i get there i am going to be forced to stay home and watch tv all day with my parents. I live in a very isolated area. Cabs dont even travel to where i live. If i want to spent time with my friends my parents make a big deal out of it and treat me like i am an irresponsible child. I was a straight A student in high school, never did i touch alcohol or smoke. Still they are hiding me from the world and its during our teens and 20s that we eperience life shaping things. They have loosened up recently but its taken way to long for them to realise im not 12 any more.

I went to ONE party during my high school years, i was 17 and my parents came to pick me up at ten and gave me a huge lecture on the way home about teens getting out of control and all that nonsense. Thing is i wasnt intoxicated in any way whatsoever or misbehaving. I was not allowed to sleep over at my best friends house till i was 17, yet she was allowed to stay at my house all the time.

To this day i cant stay out late with my friends coz my parents freak out. Just asking them to hang out with my friends is a huge mission coz they ask so many ridiculous questions like where u goin? whos gon be ther? what are u gon do? how u getn ther?
At times i gave up asking them to take me out because it just upset me. Its hard being almost an adult and still being treated like a child.

If they allow me to go out they will phone or text every other hour asking if i am alright and if i want to come home. Having to check my phone all the time ruins my night because im constantly worried about when the fun will be over. Their treatment has affected me greatly, my self confidence is the size of a peanut, and socialising has been difficult as i have been confined to my house all my life. Boredom became a norm and nearly led me to depression because i desperately wanted to spend time with my friends during vacations.
dating boys was out of the question! I had my first boyfriend at 18....Thankfully i have some friends and a cousin who understand my situation and always try to show me the brighter side of things. I do care for my parents deeply but their overprotective treatment towards me has kinda screwed me up a bit. ITs never too late to take things into your own hands though.

My advice guys is talk to your parents, show them that you are responsible and have good judgement, invite ur friends over so the parentals can see that you guys are responsible. Get your siblings on your side...show them articles and blogs about this issue and how it negatively affects the youth. sh*t try everything you can!!!!! Rebelling might be a quick solution and whatnot but your parents will loose trust in you. If they refuse to see your point of view run away. Just kidding :-) just be patient, start small, like lunch with friends and work your way to dinners then parties...these people are tough to crack but eventually they will get tired of saying no.

I am still working on mine! good luck :-)

that was the best story in here. you are awsome.

Guest wrote:

Thank you.
Haleyy...[/enc]

Hey i am Leni
i am 18 years old
my mum and dad are overprectivetiv but not as much as i read in these stories
they let me go out at the age of 14 going to concerts with my friends and stuff and they would come and pick me up at around 11-12 whenever its finshed
the thing is at the age of 16 i started to smoke, i been smoking for 3 years now my mum has found out about this and it lost trust in her and she hates that about me and she now says no to places were i want to go
i usely go to the park with my friends and she rang me asking were i was i told her at the time she was in the park walking and she didnt see me so she rang me again asking me were i was i told her again and she didnt see me again she thought i was lieing to her and she asked me to go home straight away
i couldnt get on the bus on my own untill i was 16 when i started college
i flew on my own this year at the age of 18 i never flew on my own before so it was very nerveracking
i would say my mum is the one who is more contorling beacuse she has more of a say to were i go
my dad is very laid back he just lets me do what i want
while i was on holiday staying at my relitives house for a month i felt free but i understod my mum is not as controling as i made her out to be
i am going to uni next year witch is going to be out of my home town my mum didnt lik that at all when i first told her
but now shes over that fact and she knows that i am going out of my home town and theres notthing she can do about it
the thing is she saying to me "if i find out you doing anything bad i will bring you back home" i say to her "one you wont find out if i do anything bad not that i will and two you have no choice in bringing me back home"
yes i do answer back to my mum this is because she has no brain cell
I also have 4 brothers and no sisters they were alowed to do what ever the Hell they want and not get shouted at
2 of my brothers started smoking at my age my mum didnt care
why? beacuse they are boys
why do boys get the laid back treament and its mostly girls that are more contorled by there mum and dad? you answer me that
anyway byeee

I'm 15 years old and my parents restrict me on so many things.
Everytime i want to go out, i have to tell my parents exactly what im doing, where i will be at when.
They dont even let me catch the train by myself.
I admit that their restrictions have made me less confident and i have a constant fear when i go out by myself.
I have tried to tell my parents but they have always yelled at me and told me that they are 'doing what is best for me'.
But how do parents know what is best for us when they force rules onto us and refuse to listen to our opinions?

I really love this one!.. this is a great help because I'm experiencing this kind of problem with my parents but I understand them.. I'm a BS Psychology student and this is also a great help in my research work!.. thanks.. :-)

lol who cares