Users comments and reviews on article Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder by SirGan

I have always been the type of person who thought you should be able to deal with your problems and move on. And those who could not work through there issues were just weak people.
I have turned into a weak person, or maybe I always was. After years of having turmoil in my life and knowing something was not right with the way I have managed my life and the decisions that I have made that effected where I am today, Which is nowhere. I have come out of denial to seek answers to what is wrong with me. After reading this article on PAPD it was like I was reading what I have been all about. ( This is extremely hard for me to admit ) I am reaching out by posting this to see if someone else out there who has dealt with PAPD and where they went for help. Where should I go next to confirm my self diagnosis of PAPD. Is there hope and can you overcome this debilating disease. I reside in Tampa, Florida. I look forward to any feedback on this post.

Genesis1

i too seem to suffer from this trait. after almost losing my 29 yr marriage i am finally realizing most of the problems were mine. very hard to swallow. i always thought of myself as confident and strong but am realizing how weak i am. they say recognizing the problem is half the battle so maybe there is hope for us.ps i also live in tampa, maybe something in the water?

I too thought I am reading my own details. After reading these posts I think this is a tendency of everyone some over indulge and create more pain for others though. i think a little psycotic mixed in and you have a primal instinct that will not let up until full submission. who would want to live with that? remembering to be kind and respectful is the key, but your partner has to back off to let you even out your emotions. This is really hard to accept when there is no cure it is only to bite your tongue in frustration when you have to live in double standards that are not fully recognized by all. Sometimes your partner just does not get it. I think it could be the acid rain!

I am a woman, can I as a woman have passive-aggressive traits, or is it only something MEN have?

please help me, soon

thanks

Women definitely can be passive-aggressive. i think that in fact that women are more prone to passive aggression than men are because men are allowed to be a little more expressive about their displeasure but women typically are taught not to be. Does that make sense? Do you think that you are passive aggressive?

does taking phentermine make this disorder get worse for a patient?

I don't believe so. I hadn't heard anything about it but have you found a patient who has displayed worse passive aggression?

This totally me......and my wife.
My dad was a controlling military father that I always thought of as borderline emotionally abusive. I was never able to learn social skills through socialization because of this a$$. I became more extroverted in a bad way when I was in highschool and then finally became a permanant loner after burning bridges and alienating myself.
Never could recover from it.
Now I'm unemployed, deeply in debt, and my wife and I hate each other but lie to ourselves about how much we love each other.
Ironically, I made it through 4 years of the military as a "good soldier".

I have PAPD and wondered if anyone else with this disorder also experiences obsessive thoughts? Sometimes I am flooded with random thoughts which seem to bombard my brain. I also ruminate about a certain situation or thought and can't seem to let it go. I wonder if the rumination is stubborness. Also, does anyone take medication for this problem and if so, how does it affect you?

I have some other questions regarding the partners of people with PAPD. How does your partner react to your cycle of PAPD when it comes on? Do they get angry or violent? Do they understand what PAPD is about? Are they helpful in trying to get you to understand how if feels for them?

More questions for those with PAPD: Do you recognize any of the symptoms when they start manifesting? Does your partner point them out to you that you are starting to cycle? How does it make you feel when the symptoms occur and they are pointed out? How do you handle your PAPD? Do you take medication or use therapy?

My husband can spot my behaviors and tries to help me by pointing to the symptoms I am displaying. I sometimes recognize anger and can deal with it but most of the time I cannot. When I don't recognize the triggers I will deny them and then our problems begin. It is to the point that my husband of 52 years ( a psych. nurse for 25 years) cannot take it anymore. My cycling is becoming more frequent. How are you dealing with your symptoms?

i have lost my most wonderful friend and husband to passive aggresiveness. He put our 4 children in the government sysem and all the children are now in foster homes because of his lying. I am losing everything to save these children and have to let go of him. not all the children understand but we are all 5 hurt because of his denial. We are losing alot and the children will never forget this. PA's not in denial, please do not hurt the prople who love you!!!!

I had the same reaction as Genesis1 after reading the article. My better half said that I had it a few minutes ago, she has said this to me a few times over our almost 9 years together...but I didn't believe it but I guess I believe it now... this is very hard to deal with and I don't want to take drugs to deal with it. I will be contacting my work help line to start councilling tomorrow...I am ruining our relationship and it's not what I want to have happen. I hope everyone on here can deal with this and manage it.

I have anxiety disorder with passive/aggressive personality. Presently undergoing treatment of learning to stay in the moment, be assertive and take care of things quickly. It has been a life long struggle for me and as I get older I am getting even worse. Its like the brain locks and I go in circles, cant let go of a thought, feel paranoid, seem to have the need to control Happy to have found this site and hope to learn and share. Medication can help and in fact in my case it is a life saver. However I need more than meds. Even good emotions and excitement can set me off and I dont do well with confortation, either repress how I think or feel rather than a healthy conversation and then I can totally blow up. So over the years I am learning to meditate, watch caffeine intake, and to know how much I can handle which lately isnt much. When I am really bad I take a break from groups of people, meetings etc. as will be aggresive which I absolutely hate. So when I am in tilt I meditate more, read, get back to therapy. So happy to have found this site.

not necessarily addictive personality more likely to claim to have illnesses that do not exist following careful research - hypochondria. High functional autistics more than n****rs.