Users comments and reviews on article Baby Foreskin Care: Should Parents Pull Foreskin Back? by Ratnakar Kini, MD

This fits very well with my experience in life. Although I was born in 1940 when I don't think we even had pediatricians, certainly not in our town. My mother, who was 36, selected an old white haired family doctor to deliver me because he appeared "fatherly" to her. As related to me by her, when she was asked if she wanted me circumcised she emphatically replied "you're not cutting anything off my baby". Whereupon he told her she had to retract my foreskin every time she bathed me to wash under it.

She never said differently, and I thought this began the day she brought me home from the hospital. My earliest memories of bath time include my foreskin being retracted and the exposed portion of my penis being washed. I can remember some things from as early as when I was 2 years old so I assume I would remember bath time from then, which would include having it retracted. It was always normal to me to retract it fully and comfortably so I just thought it was like that at birth. When I was about 5 or 6 years old she turned that job over to me with very strict emphasis on the fact that I had to do it. For a few years she even checked in occasionally to make me do it while she watched to be sure it got done.

I do not remember ever having anything painful associated with retracting it and it always seemed normal to me to retract it well behind the head. Only in later years when my penis was somewhat larger, did I have some problems with it being uncomfortably tight if it was retracted behind the glans when I got an erection. I cured that myself by inserting my fingers while taking my shower and spreading the tip to enlarge the opening.

When I was old enough to begin masturbating, there was no internet so we didn't sit alone in front of a computer to do it. Boys actually got together in groups to masturbate for fun and comparison. Some guys were circumcised and the non sensitivity of their glans was quite a surprise to me. I remember the first time I masturbated a guy who was circumcised. He insisted I stroke his head and we didn't have to peel him off the ceiling o.O Of the others like me who were not, none of them had any problems retracting theirs. One of the guys foreskin was so loose that it just rolled way back with no resistance at all. I assume he had no frenulum but we didn't know what that was at that time. We just liked to take turns pumping his because it was so loose.

I was quite surprised when I found this forum and read about all the young men of today who have never seen their glans or even knew the foreskin could/should be retracted for cleaning. I know I grew up in the dark ages when the only sex education we got was whatever misinformation came from some other ignoramus just like ourselves. I certainly expected by this enlightened age of sex-ed in schools etc. that boys and girls would be much better informed and would be quite familiar with their own, and each others bodies.

I was certainly surprised to read about all the problems with foreskins that were not retractable. I expected their parents (who now appear to be as poorly informed as their kids) would have had those problems taken care of long before the poor boys reached puberty. Ideally before they reached the age of masturbation, which in my experience was several years before puberty.

I feel this article reflects the subject very much as I see it and would like it to be.

I love my foreskin and the wonderful sex life it has provided me and my wife, as it is a vital part of the sexual experience, which was not mentioned in the article.

I think it should always be pulled back and cleaned. Exspecially when it is bath time and when you change there siaper. Bc now adays most doctors do a cirumcision half ass srry for the language. But my son is almost a year old and I still have to pull his skin back when I bathe him and change him and he is circumsized. Mosy guys now are always asking about why there penis' hurt and why the skin is way too flabby after the were circumsized. It's bc you have to always pull it back always. Or it will re attach itself and you will have to get it cut.

DO NOT RETRACT AN INFANTS FORESKIN!!! the damage that can be done far outweighs the benefits... you don't douche a baby girl do you??? then why mess around with her brother's INTERNAL organs.. and yes it is technically considered an internal organ. I am a 4th year resident for a pediatric urology clinic and i have done my research first hand. the best policy is leave it alone.

one suggestion to break up adhesions and promote retraction is to gently tug the foreskin forward (away from his body) this will promote his body to release his foreskin to release from the glans.. the same thing happens durring erections.. all baby boys' foreskins are non-retractile (can't be retracted) at birth and typically don't become able to be retracted by puberty.. let him take care of retracting it.. the only person that should retract a foreskin is it's owner.. and never allow a doctor to retract your son's foreskin either...

"all baby boys' foreskins are non-retractile (can't be retracted) at birth and typically don't become able to be retracted by puberty.. "

Darwin must have been hard at work during the 3/4 of a century since I was born.

As I was growing up, I never met a kid with a foreskin, who had any problem retracting it. Likewise, none of the guys who were circumcised, had any scars on their glans from the foreskin being ripped away from it to do the circumcision. I realize, statistically, my sample is rather small. However I believe it represents Joe Kid, the average boy in America. It is the kids I grew up with and went through school with.

If that statement is true, how do they perform infant circumcisions, which seems to be the most common type, without damaging a lot of glans? When I was born, roughly 70 to 80 percent of boys in America were being circumcised at birth. I would expect I would have known at least a few guys with scarred glans.

I would have expected the norm to be just the opposite, as I never heard of the problem until I found this site. That seemed reasonable to me as sites like this attract questions from people WITH problems NOT from people without problems. So if 1 out of 100,000 has a problem, we are not going to hear from the other 99,999 withOUT a problem.

as a DR. I have performed over 100 circumcisions in the last 4 years and i assure you that every one of them had adhesions that were removed forcefully with a probe. please watch a video on Youtube of a routine infant circumcision. you will see the physician seperate the prepuce from the glans with a hemostat or probe.. frequently DR's simply break the adhesions shortly after birth and instruct the parents to fetract the foreskin (prepuce) at every diaper change and put Neosporin or other similar ointment directly on the glans to prevent re-adhesion of the prepuce.. also look up penile adhesions on google.. you will see the affects of inproper post-circumcision care. the ammount of information out there is growing and i suggest you educate yourself more thoroughly. i asure you that if your foreskin was retractile from birth that you are not the norm..

Dr.D

Pediatric Urology

Based on my own experience I think it is important for parents to ensure that the penis of a baby boy is retractable. As a boy my parents took no interest in my development in this aea. The skin became elongated and like a narrow tube which could not be retracted. At an early age I began to play with it and it led to excessive masturbation and sexual hallucinations which led to loss of energy. In high school other boys noted the abnormality and gave me the name "hookey". It was a source of grave embarrassment. Eventually one day a group of boys held me down and tried to retract the penis when it did not retract it was pronounced that it was blind and they all laughed. This was in 1947. Eventually some years later when I listened to my classmates relating their exploits I never discussed this with my mother, my father was seldom home, but decided to take thngs in my own hand at age 21, I took a razor blade and tried to operate on myself. Needless to say I now had to go to a doctor. I can't really remember what I told him but he did not believe me but thought that the injury was the result of a sexual act. He then had me circumcized.
I made sure that my sons were examined as young boys.

i was told by my doctor to always rub my sons foreskin with baby oil and vaseline after each diaper change and bath my oldest son is 16 years old and i still rub baby oil and vaseline on his foreskin and penis 3 times a week

And he let's you?

i am the mother of 3 sons ages 14 12 and 10 none of them are circumcised as soon as they were born i started rubbing baby oil on their foreskins my 14 year old is able to pull back his foreskin all the way back over the head of his penis my 2 younger ones still need help i still give them a bath daily and i stretch their foreskins when their having baths i still check up on my oldest son about 2 times a week to make sure that he continues to pull back his foreskin and is cleaning it properly