Hi! I used to do some weight lifting when I was younger and two years after I stopped doing that I started experiencing pain and tenderness in the front of my shoulder and around the joint. The pain was vague though and I didn’t see the doctor but just took some ibruphen when it worsens. Few months ago the pain spread to include the whole shoulder, the front of the chest, and the neck. The joint now also clicks or snaps as I move my shoulder. The ibruphen doesn’t seem to help me anymore. I went to the doctor and explained my problem and he diagnosed me with AC osteoarthritis and prescribed me some steroid injections. Those steroid injections are helloing with my AC osteoarthritis for now, but what happens when they stop having the effect as the ibruphen did? Is there some further course of treatment?

Hi! I know a person who has AC osteoarthritis and I must say that you were very brave not to visit the doctor for two years and treat yourself by using ibruphen only. My friend says that pain can become very severe sometimes. You are right when you say that steroid injections will stop helping eventually. I guess you also receive cortisone as my friend did. Cortisone is a strong medication that decreases inflammation and reduces pain but its effects are temporary, and it can give a very effective, but only short-term relief. I guess that after that method stops being effective the only thing that remains is the operation. Maybe you should discuss that option with your doctor on time.

I disagree that it is already time for you to consider and discuss the surgical intervention. You have many things you can do to help yourself. There are physical exercises that might help you. Active range-of-motion exercises help you regain shoulder movement using your own muscle power. I also heard that acupuncture often helps in these kinds of problems. If you are willing to try some new methods I also heard that laser therapy has some good results too. I think that trying something new cannot harm you, but it might help you, and if I were you I would try anything just to avoid the operation.