Hello everyone,

As you all know, waking up is typically a groggy endeavour. So that proved to be true this morning. After I woke up, I accidentally stepped on one of my earring posts, and I would speculate that at least 2/3 of the post went right through the top of my foot. It shocked me, and I went to pull it out, and after I did, there appeared to have been a small pinhole which drew the slightest amount of blood. I immediately disinfected the open hole with isopropyl alcohol, and bandaged it up well. It is the afternoon now, and it is still relatively sore when walked upon. I am worried about Tetanus .... the earring post, I believe, is stainless steel. Should I be concerned and seek medical attention immediately? I had a tetanus shot years ago when I was in my young teens. Any opinion or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :-(

The blood was a good thing. It would have helped cleanse the wound. The alcohol would have done the same thing.

Most tetanus shots are good for 10 years, but you'd probably get a booster if it's been more than 5.

It is going to be sore for a bit.

The post was most likely fairly clean. I'm not too worried about tetanus. It's not like a rusty nail in the yard.

I'd keep an eye on it, watch for any signs of infection such as swelling or discharge.

For piece of mind, and for future missteps, getting your tetanus updated is not a bad idea.

Good luck

thank you so much medic-dan. i appreciate your response.

I did the same thing but it happened March 1 and it is March 11 and it still hurts, should I go to the doctor?

I stepped on an earring today and it hurts to walk. It went right into my heel. It bled a little bit. It's red right where i stepped on it and a little bit around it. It is a little swollen but not bad. It happened like 6 to 8 hours ago.

I stepped on an earring today and it only left a small indent, it didn't go through my foot. All there is is a small little brownish dot on my foot. This was hours ago, and it stopped hurting after 3 minutes or so, am I fine?

Did you get a shot?