My doctor says my problem is Morton's Neuroma. Today we have discussed killing the nerve. Well, I have a question for those who experienced the surgery. What happens after and what are the alternatives?

I had Morton's Neuroma surgery, but my doctor did not remove the neuroma, he just cut the ligament releasing the pressure on the nerve. Now when I am walking around, I have a "clicking" inside of my foot. The doctor said that the bones are settling in now and that the click should go away, but I am a little nervous and I am afraid that it is not permanent. As I know surgery is needed when other treatment fail. It involves resection of the enlarged section of the nerve, so if you do have big pain and motor problem surgery is most suitable

On June 28 2006 I hade my neuroma removed. I felt some "ghost" pain for the first 4 -5 ddays. My stiches were removed yesterday July 15. Now I feel as though I have a bad cut on my foot. My Dr. chose to do the surgery from the bottom rather than the top. It hurts, it;'s surgery, but the pain from the neuroma is gone. I am really pleased with my decision. I had 1 cortisone shot that did not work and on shot 4 of the alcohol shots, we decided on the surgery.

I had surgery to remove the neuroma two weeks ago. Neuroma pain is gone, but I'm wondering how long it will take to recover from the surgery. How are you getting along now?

I had an extremely large neuroma removed from my left foot two years ago. My Doctor told me to stay completely off my foot for two weeks, and use a "boot" for 4 - 6 more.

Well, the pain was gone almost immediately, and I started back to work three weeks later (partly because so many message boards had people saying "I went jogging after 5 days!") Now I am sorry - my foot hurts alot, sharp pains come w/ weather changes, and I'm getting the burning sensation again.

I am way better off than pre-surgery - I couldn't wear shoes or be on my feet for more than a few minutes before I finally had the surgery - but I wish I had listened to my Doctor!

So, my advice is: DO WHAT THE DOCTOR SAYS....

Hi- I had the nerve decompression surgery on my foot for the neuroma. It' been 6 weeks and i am walking but still in the surgical shoe.I have started therapy cause my toes stiffened up and i have the same pain as i did before the surgery.UGHHH! Now he says that I might need the nerve removed. How soon after one surgery can you have another?

I had 4 neuromas removed, 2 on each foot on 9/8/2006. Whoever said it was a piece of cake-- ha ha! I'm healed, able to walk, but now after nearly 2 months the pain is worse than before the surgery. Pain pills have NEVER helped. I'm really scared that I'm one of those 10 to 15% that the surgery doesn't relieve the pain. Previous to the surgery I had tried everything including 2 cortisone shots in my left foot. Nothing happened! Think twice before having the surgery. I will NEVER have it again unless I have to crawl! Can only hope the pain goes away.

I had bilateral neuroma surgery 6 months ago, and the numbness on the bottom of my feet is overwhelming. It never feels comfortable and the thought of living this way the rest of my life is terrible. I exchanged lancing pain for numbness and aching that cannot be described.

I had a Mortons Neuroma and a bursa excised 10 weeks ago. Pain has gone, and am getting used to the lack of feeling between the toes. However, have developed an audible clicking sound from foot, in past week, when walking. Since the neuroma removed was 37mm*12mm*4mm, I expected some readjustment/rebalancing would happen, just surprised that it has taken so long. I hope it will go away soon.

I have Morton's Neuromas on both feet. I have been in pain since early March. I have the nerve release done on both fee on April 30. The surgical site took a while to heal.. I got out of the surgical shoes finally after 30 days. I am not any better, received 2 more cortizone shots and awaiting inflammation to go down, same pain like walking on golf balls, it hurts like heck and I dont' feel any different. Anyone else experiencing these issues. I have been told I am impatient...uh yes

I thought I would provide an update 18 months on after neuroma surgery. I have no feeling between the toes, but this was expected. I have no neuroma pain, and I can stand up at parties again.

Best thing I ever did, just regretted waiting so long to have it done.

I am 29 years old and have had a neuroma for a couple of years now. It was diagnosed after I would experience numbness/tingling in the toes if I did the elliptical at the gym for more than 20 min. So I stopped doing the elliptical and things were better. I also wore less heels (not that I wore a lot before) and better shoes in general. The neuroma really started to flare up when I started salsa dancing in January. It got to the point that it felt like there was a fire in my foot one time while dancing. I’ve had the cortisone shots but they haven’t helped. I mostly have the numbing/tingling while dancing or sometimes in heels-especially if it’s already inflamed by the dancing. In the last few weeks I’ve felt an occasion tingling at the tip of the toes while doing nothing. Not painful, just different. My current doctor says surgery is the next option. Here are my questions: Anyone know anything about alcohol shots? One doctor had mentioned it to me. What questions should I ask my doctor? Has anyone had a successful surgery? What’s your opinion about having it when I’m not in pain daily? It’s mostly associated with dancing. However, I LOVE to dance and I’m young.

Michelin, I have been dealing with a neuroma since May '06 going through several different doctors. I was having the same problems as you; tremendous pain at the gym and then just all the time. The second doctor I saw gave me 3 of those alcohol shots you asked about and they were awful! My foot swelled each time and I couldn't walk for 2 days after each shot, he assured me it was just a small reaction and not to worry. I finally got smart and went to a third doctor, he told me that those shots have not been proven to work effectively and his partner used them on a patient and she had the same reaction - my advice is to stay away from the alcohol shots. After that mess, the third doctor gave me several cortizon injections and tried orthodics-nothing worked and I ended up having surgery several days before Christmas '06. The surgery was not bad but the crutches were no fun, I had minimal to no pain from surgery. Unfortunately, the pain from the neuroma went away for a short time but, then came back twice as painful. We tried several more cortizone shots to try and kill the nerve but I ended up being included in a small percent of people that get a "stump neuroma" - this is when it grows back. He referred me to a new surgeon and the only option was surgery but this time they would go through the bottom of my foot. I had surgery several days ago (july 25th), this time I had a little more pain after surgery but not much. I am supposed to be on crutches for 3-4 weeks (no weight bearing) and I have a huge surgical boot that I will be wearing for awhile. My surgeon said that the "stump neuroma" grew back into scar tissue and thats why it was so painful but, my surgeon also said he has never had a stump grow back again. I apoligize for the long story but, I thought the more information the better. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments let me know-I will be checking often since crutches put a limit on what you can do! Ha Ha. In the end I don't regret the surgery but, I do regret the alcohol shots and seeing two doctors that had no idea what they were talking about. I keep my fingers crossed that this surgery will do the trick, I am too young to limit my activities due to foot pain.

Bria, thanks so much for your response. Did you have a podiatrist or an ortho surgeon specializing in foot and ankle do your surgery? Went to my podiatrist today and he mentioned the alcohol shots. Says it's inconsistent/unpredictable if it will help but that he's seen a 'couple' of people helped by it. He claims it's less painful than cortisone shots (had them, didn't help) and that there's no downside to having it other than it won't work, and that I can walk on it and everything. Which is diff from what you're telling me and what someone else wrote about the alcohol shots.

Re: surgery he said I wouldn't need crutches and would be able to put full weight on it the day of surgery, but that it would be sore and there'd be some numbing. Thing is mine isn't painful all the time; my doc said he couldn't even feel it today-though I DEFINITELY felt the clicking and the pain when he squeezed on it.

Anybody have opinions about using a podiatrist vs. orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle? Anybody have the surgery even though their pain was not daily and mostly associated w/ specific activities?

Bria, hope you heal well and fast!

Michelin, from my experience with those alcohol shots they hurt 10 times worse than the cortizone shots. It is painful when they administer the shot and like I said earlier it's even worse after the injection.

The doctor who did my first sugery was a podiatrist but, the doctor who performed my recent surgery was a specialist from a foot and ankle institute at a hospital around my area.

As for your doctor telling you that you would be able to walk on your foot the same day of your surgery, that sounds a little "off" to me. Even with my first surgery I wasn't allowed to walk on it for about a week. I think it would be in your best interest to see a specialist.