Every time I've gotten a tetanus shot, I get more sick than I've ever gotten. Within about 6 hours, I am in the bed in severe pain all over my entire body... Every other thing I've read mentions this with swelling of the arm and such but my arm never really had problems... I just get so sick that I cannot leave my bed and I often vomit or passout, probably from the pain of my whole body acheing...

The only problem is, I've told my doctors this many many times, and they never believe me. I insist that I get more sick than I've ever been before, and they just blame it on coincidence and such...

Now I find out that I'm due for another tetanus shot this summer (Im currently 20 years of age).

What could be happening and how can I prevent it?

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed**

thanks for the help!

My boyfriend just got a tetanus shot yesterday and after probably 6 or 7 hours said he was in the worst pain of his life. I've looked online and all I see are doctors that say it's no big deal or etc. I'm taking him back to the hospital where they can hopefully? tell me something more. But using what I've found so far I doubt it. Be glad you only have to get one every 10 years I guess?

I have a severe allergy to tetanus and anti-toxins from tetanus. I almost died as a child when I received the DPT shot. My mother was allergic too. I wear a medical bracelet to this affect. Once, during the Vietnam war, I was bitten by a dog and they flew in human toxin from Vietnam to give me instead of a tetanus shot

I also have a bad reaction every time I get a tetanus. The nurse at my doctor's office said this is related to my severe shellfish allergy. Apparently tetanus contains something from the shell of a shellfish (Idk which one). If you have a shellfish allergy, this may be the reason for your serious reaction to the tetanus shot. You should see an allergist.

I got a tetnus shot a week ago because our storm door cut my ankle, so I was prescribed pain meds and a tetnus shot. The shot hurt and the nurse said it was because the shot was refrigerated.That was late that day the next morning I woke up sore as ****. So i took the pain meds to dull the pain, long story short, I'm still sooooo sore. I called the ER and they said it wasn't typical and shouldn't last that long, then I was transferred to a pharmacist and asked if there was any shellfish product in the vaccine and he told me no and that the soreness could last 7-10 days. I'm on day 7 now, any comments PLEASE post, I'm not really sure what to do.

I got a tetanus shot over a year ago in March, and have had extreme breast pain since then, with no relief. No one seems to have an answer. I keep getting told "that's not possible." Good luck. If you find out any answers on how to detox this poison out of our bodies, please share.

I have a rare allergic reaction to the tetanus shot. When I had the DPT shot as a child, I was in a coma for two weeks. The doctor then tried a DT shot at only half a dose, and I was in a coma for half as long. I wear a medical bracelet for it and freak out every time I get an open wound. I honestly don't know what would happen if I ever got Tetanus, as I am also deathly allergic to Lidocaine, the medicine they use to help ease the toxin's effects. Tetanus antitoxin puts me in a coma, Lidocaine causes me to stop breathing. That, my dear friend, is a doctor's definition of a BAD reaction.

My husband recently got his DPaT booster, and he had a fever and bad pain in his arm for three days. Still, that is considered normal. It's bloody inconvenient, but at least it's not being hooked up to life support.

I had a piece of glass in my finger and went to the ER to get it out. They gave me a tetanus shot there. I went home afterwards and within 12 hours of getting the tetanus shot; I felt like I was having a heart attack, the site of the injection had a golf ball sized lump in it and was very painful. I went back to the ER and they told me it was normal to have this kind of reaction. I was not satisfied with that answer. I called a neurologist that I saw occasionally for migraines. He was very intelligent and if anyone could figure this out, I knew he could. I left a message and he called me back and said to come in right away. It was an allergic reaction to the Tetanus vaccine. He did the usual neurological tests and discovered I had lost the strength in my left arm (the one they put the shot in). He put me on steroids for three weeks.

I could lift my arm but I had no strength in it. He told me NEVER to get a tetanus shot again as the next one could kill me. He filed a report with the Federal Government about a severe reaction to the vaccine. I haven't had a tetanus shot since. I always wear shoes or aquasocks wherever I go. He wrote the name down...but I lost the paper. My arm got better after the steroids. I'd recommend seeing a neurologist.

I was paralyzed for 3 months because I was allergic to horse serum - main ingredient for tetanus vaccine.

My doctor gave me anecdote and one day I forgot to take one and as I was bruhing my teeth, I just collapse!

Today, my doctor asked me again, to get another tetanus shot, it's been over 20 years and he obviously do not read his notes, and I said NO!

Doctors don't need to make you takes shots if you don't want to. My children's OB/GYN told me 20 years ago, that unless I work in constructions or farming, I shouldn't need a tetanus shot!

The first and last time I got a flu shot, I almost died! So no more vacines for me.

All i will say when i was about 6-7 years old i got a DPT shot I got very ill for days at a time
I broke out in very large welps all over my body my eyes would close for hours at a time my lips would swell up
my ears closed up i knew every time i was going to start to break out into welps the spot
it would start at i would fill heat very hot heat and the welps would start up
where ever the heat would start at legs back stomach didnt matter
OMG the hair pulling i wanted to do was unreal i have my jaw locked i would say over 1000 Times
i would have to take my hand and push my jaw over untill it unlocked --
i went to a dentist and he wanted to grind my teeth down i said no
so he told me to chew bubble gum every day for a year wow that helped alot my jaw dont lock at much now

Long story short I missed so many many many Days at school from that 1 crazy shot when i was a kid
And every job i ever had i could never work very long at it because my eyes would swell i would still break out
from the welps over my body AM SICK OF IT .. NOW at the ripe old age of 44 AM STILL BATTLING THIS CRAZY PROBLEMS
All i get from the doctors is I DONT KNOW am sick of i dont Knows .
Its been 5 years since i had a job because i cant hold one down of the servere swelling over my body
sometimes it one place alot of times it in many places !!!
But at the age of 44 i figure all these years it would reside and leave me alone But its like a BUG that you cannot step on and get rid of it No matter what you do

The only relif i get is taking Benadryl -- AS SOON as the heat starts i know am in for hell but AS SOON as it starts i take a swig of Benadryl and that is the Only thing in this whole world that TAKES CARE OF MY PROBLEM !!!!!!!! So my Doctors HA HA HA its a joke getting any real answers from them ..

So my DOCTOR IS CALLED MR. TAKE A SWIG OF Benadryl

AM So Sorry for all you folks that has dealt with a problem from tetanus Only if you was in my shoes you would know
what am dealing With as am trying to get medical help with no effort what so ever
You got a job NO SIR we cant help you got 100$ no .. am so sorry we cant help OMG !!

So at 44 am going to be sick all the rest of my life and be a very poor man with no support but a little from the Family.

I sit here and wonder who what when why where i just wrote above about Tetanus DPT Topic. ..
Am not the smartest Guy in the world
and maybe not be able to write the words some folks would call Tech.
O' well like they Say some has it and some DONT.. Back to TETANUS..
When i was a kid i always wondered abut that shot i got back when i was Young or was it the 2ND ONE"
What started out that day was out brothers and sisters daily up too date Shot's
AS' it Started that fine Morning was i Knew it was my time for a shot
Man that shot did hurt but one shot no Problem .. Well my brother shot was next in line
or i would say one of 4 brothers was up Next in Line as i sit there Hurting from the shots.
The nurse stated it's your turn i told the lady i had my shot
I rolled up my sleeve and told her i had my shot look
She replyed no you have not told her yes i did Look at my arm no little kid its your shot .
It went on and on between 5 brothers over a WHO GOT THE TETANUS SHOT I did'nt I did'nt
Well before i knew it i Just got my SECOND Dose of TETANUS shot!!
I walked away out to dad's Van Got bad sick started to swell up over my Body Next thing i Knew i was in the Hospital and then a Rollar Coaster Ride from on then ..
And a short Story Am Still Kicking that Bug out of my LIfe From that Double Dose of TETANUS !
As i admited about one 1 shot i had but could it been the 2nd i had.
Like i stated Above I missed many days of school years from being not able to see, hear, walk, run, stand, breath,
Sleep, Ect Ect !!! Having to do home school and missing and learning at school and friends was how can i say it I have alot of words well let you Guess on that on what it must have been like.
Getting in the sun is worse and being around sand dirty water ect. I would admit i had many Depressed Days"
not able to ride, play, read, write, Work, Talk, swim, eat mmmm The list is Long .
But the Lord has always gave me Will to Fight such a"
Horrible battle of a Disease tetanus diphtheria Lockjaw toxins Allergies !
The pain is Horrible Lungs chest arm left side of my whole body
it's the Whole part of the Medical health Department Wrong Doing. And am PAYING FOR IT NOT THEM WHY I ALWAYS ASK WHY?
what can Medical do i Belive That there is really nothing medical
they can do about my problem but treat the pain rash hives ect ect ect.
As the days battle on Taking Benadryl i just live a day at a time and ponder what days ahead are going to be like
My Kids are Making better days with the Smiles . and'
wondering i just Cut my self And not be able to recieve a shot ....A job Market is a hard too' being told ? Ask?
what Happens you get Cut or step on a nail am afraid to Hire you~!
Some took the risk other passed me By as i explained my TETANUS Allergies.
The lord helps on Coping & Hoping for better days then Most in the Future with my Kids.
All I know is that i could sit here for the next couple months talking about what tetanus has done in my Life.
But am not going to get into many details but for many i PRAY you and family Members
They never have to battle a tetanus problem as I have over the last 37 Years and Counting..

When I was about to start school I was to get my "booster" shots which of course included DPT. When I received the first full dose, my body immediately started to swell at the injection site and then on to the rest of my body, eventually causing my throat to swell almost shut. The doctor then suggested breaking the shots down individually trying to figure out which one I was allergic to. He started with the diptheria, then the pertussis, each with no adverse reactions. Because the school system required that I have the tetanus or no school, he then tried a half dose. I was swelling at the injection site and that half of my body, including my throat, again. My mother then put a stop to it telling the doctor that if he tried any more he was obviously going to cause irreversible damage, ie; six feet under.

That being said, it is now 28 years later and I was seriously attacked by a dog. The wound has finally healed over after almost 4 months, yet I am still swelling in my leg. Because of my allergy, I was wondering if the swelling could possibly be caused the fact that I can't receive a tetanus shot. Any one know if this could be the case??

sea10lizzy This message is for you. I was bitten by a dog on my leg on Monday, October 4th. The dog is up-to-date on all his shots. I am unable to take the Tetanus Vaccine, as I'm highly allergic to it. I am currently taking antiobiotis for the infection, which make my so sick. I feel helpless in dealing with this. My doctor doesn't seem to understand how sensitive my immune system is to prescription drugs. He told me I would need to have the vaccine and take all the antiobiotics & sent me on my way. End of the subject. I've read so much about tetanus on the internet now--that I've scared myself into a downward spiral of depression and can't stop crying. Anyone, please help if you have any recommendations of natural treatments that I can start doing to help jump-start my immune system of surviving this dog-bite and to prevent tetanus. I have so much living to do. I love my family and they need me. I can't imagine my life ending from a dog-bite that can't be treated. Thank you so much for anyone that can help. Love, Jane

The only thing I can tell you is to stick with the antibiotics for now. 10 days is what you will need in order not to have any more serious complications. Keeping the wound clean and bandages changed on a regular basis is also a must. Were they punctures or an open wound? This is critical to know. I was never told that I would absolutely have to have the tetnus shot, due to the fact that I was allergic, they refrained from even discussing it further. Your other option is to get a second opinion. It never hurts. As for natural treatments, you would need to discuss that with a health care professional who does alternative medicines. They are out there and most insurances now cover them. Talk to them also about your depression, they are there to help. I am also there, but with help am making progress. Stress, pain, feeling like no one understands what you are going through, work, family, life in general, etc, it all adds up. Don't think that your life will end from this, it won't. Get a second opinion, that is your first step. Look after yourself above all. You have others who love you, ask for help, it might be hard to do, but they will. Prayers to You.

When you have a bad reaction to a vaccine, you should not go back for more unless you absolutely have to. Chances are it will be worse each time. Doctors don't know mucg aboutbthis yeet, but if you do your homework onthe internet, you will find sites, homeopathis, govermental, etc, Try: stc. ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed, Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). nd , and ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed. Stop gettingbthese untill youn know more. Itbis NOT worth it.