My kids were playing in our backyard yesterday, and David, the older one stepped on a rusty nail. I am not sure if he needs to get tetanus shot. They both got when they were 3 and 5, which was two years ago. Should I be worried? How often is it necessary for them to get a tetanus shot?

Yes, you should be worried. Tetanus is a bacterial disease and one can get it stepping on something rusty. The best defense would be vaccination. Tetanus bacteria affect nervous system and it is often fatal. Bacteria can enter the body even through a scratch, splinters, bug bites or tiny pinprick. Do not clean wound with soap and don’t apply antiseptic if it’s deep wound. Symptoms of infection begin for about a week after. They are usually: difficulty swallowing, spasms, sweating and fever, stiffness of the neck. You should seek medical attention for David immediately.