I got a tetanus shot monday and have had severe muscle pain. When I got the shot I was also prescribed pain meds because the storm door bruised my achilles. The shot was late Monday and Tuesday I my whole arm and neck was so sore I could barely move it, luckily I had the pain meds. Friday my ankle hurt worse than Monday so I went to the doctor and I asked about the shot and he said he's had patients that hurt 7 days after the shot and he prescribed Flexoril for my ankle. I am still miserably sore and called the ER and was told that wasn't a typical allergic reaction and then transferred to a pharmacist who said it wasn't typical either but that the shot could make you sore 7-10 days. I haven't picked up the flexoril yet and I wonder if it will help. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had a reaction like this to a tetanus shot?

First just want to say hi and welcome to the forum.

This reaction to the shot is a normal side affect and it can last for several days. I personally didn't had any problems with the shot (had one few years ago because a knee injury during a bicycle ride).
I'm sure that someone here had same symptoms, and will be able to help you.

Hope that you get well soon.

If you have any question regarding forum or you want to introduce yourself (hobbies, etc.) go to our Introduction forum.

I had a shot (tetanus) also, just this past thursday. My arm was sore when given (I hate (much) all shots/needles)....any way...my arm was not very sore the first 24 hours, but then got sore. just over 36 hrs into it it was swollen and raised (I could see the swelling just turning my head). This afternoon it was swollen, red, pain down my arm, heated. Is this normal? Could I put ice on it? Or should I? Is this a problem? Should I report it? Should I avoid shot in the future.

I want to reassure you that if you are feeling pain in your arm then that's pretty much par for the course when you get a tetanus shot. However, the symptoms you are experiencing are not normal, so please talk to your doctor about it. You should try to get it looked at as soon as possible. THis is abnormal, so you should still get shots in the future. Keep us posted!

I had a tetanus shot in my left arm and thought I was fine. Seven days later, my arm suddenly became extremely painful! The pain then became constant. There isn't any visible swelling or redness. Went to my Doc and she checked my arm and told me to try moist heat and offered strong pain meds. I do not like taking anything like that so we agreed to try aspirin for pain. If the pain continues, she will check in two weeks. This seems crazy that after seven days of getting the shot, my arm would be in so much pain! Hopefully this will subside. Never would get the vaccine again!!Anyone else ever heard of this? Should it be reported as an adverse event?

I had a tetanus shot 9 days ago in my left arm and it is incredibly painful!!! I can hardly move my arm at all. It is effecting my work and I wake up during the night. I keep thinking it will go away but it isn't. I have also been getting headaches everyday since. At what point to I go to a doctor and can they even do anything to fix it?

I had a tetanus shot 3 weeks ago. Did not feel the shot itself, but the pain in the area of the shot has been increasing since then. Yesterday I went to the doctor and he said that I am having some late reaction to the shot. He told me to compress the area of the shot with an Ichthyol cream. The frequency of the pain (more of a burning feeling) has decreased but the pain is still very intense. If it does not go away in a couple of days, I will revisit the doc. :-(

Hi there, it really would be advisable that you do. Can you tell me how you're doing? I would like to hear how things are going. Thanks!

I had the shot a couple of days ago, the following day after the shot my arm was pretty sore but the next day it was even worse on the third day I could not move my arm and the pain was incredible, and constant there was not a throb or pulse to the pain just a solid continuous ramping up of its severity (I have never experienced anything like it) I was benign to think that either I was allergic or I had been given a bad batch of the vaccine (that happens you know) on the 4th night I woke up in excruciating pain any movement no matter how slight would send my pain meter thru the roof! Sleep was impossible because lying down and the distribution of body weight would only make it worse The pain spread from the injection site to my back shoulder blade and arm joint, it felt as if the bones in my arm had ruff sharp edges and my shoulder and arm muscles were being graded across them! Now I'm a big tough rugged kind of fella I have been in car accidents stabbed, and shot, I have even been gored by an angry male large elk ( 300 stitches) and a 4 day stay in the hospital stay, I've had food poisoning of the worst kind and anyone who has had severe food poising will tell you it is the closest to death that they have probably been (it absolutely sucks) I never thought that there would be something that would rate up there with how bad and how much pain I felt as a result of the food poisoning in till I received the tetanus shot several days ago this is by far a close second to the most intense pain and physical misery I have ever felt! ( really!)

I am still at that point almost 5 months later. My family doctor swears it couldnt possibly happen from a tetanus shot & that i injured myself and probably forgot. He tells me to take ibuporfen and "suck it up". Almost 5 months later I can't suck it up any longer.

I cant sleep longer than 4 hours, My joints constantly have a deep ache. It feels like my shoulder is coming out of the socket and the ball of the joint has burrs on it. I am at my wits end.

How long did your pain last andwhat did you do to get it to go away?

Wow, I know the tetanus injection hurts but if you think about what could possibly happen if you actually got tetanus a sore arm is far worth it. I too got a tetanus injection just 2 days ago and yes my arm is sore but nothing that isn't alleviated with Ibuprofen.

For those of you who are saying you will never get a tetanus injection again I strongly feel you should rethink that statement. Getting tetanus could result in death and think that having a sore are for a week or two is worth it. If your arm is still painful after a couple of weeks then maybe the pain is a result from the person who administered the injection and not the actual medication.

when i was about 6-7 years old i got a DPT shot I got very ill for days at a time
I broke out in very large welps all over my body my eyes would close for hours at a time my lips would swell up
my ears closed up i knew every time i was going to start to break out into welps the spot
it would start at i would fill heat very hot heat and the welps would start up
where ever the heat would start at legs back stomach didnt matter My bones hurt so bad in my back arms legs ect ect
I been back so many times to the Hospital they should name it after me ..
OMG the hair pulling i wanted to do was unreal i have my jaw locked i would say over 1000 Times
i would have to take my hand and push my jaw over untill it unlocked --
i went to a dentist and he wanted to grind my teeth down i said no
so he told me to chew bubble gum every day for a year wow that helped alot my jaw dont lock at much now

Long story short I missed so many many many Days at school from that 1 crazy shot when i was a kid
And every job i ever had i could never work very long at it because my eyes would swell i would still break out
from the welps over my body AM SICK OF IT .. NOW at the ripe old age of 44 AM STILL BATTLING THIS CRAZY PROBLEMS
All i get from the doctors is I DONT KNOW am sick of i dont Knows .
Its been 5 years since i had a job because i cant hold a job down of the servere swelling over my body and the servere PAIN!
sometimes it one place alot of times it in many places !!!

But at the age of 44 i figure all these years it would reside and leave me alone But its like a BIG BUG that you cannot step on and get rid of it No matter what you do ~~ too this day my bones hurt so bad i got purple and black spots on back of my leg I can never sleep from the PAIN maybe 20-30 hours a week my left eye is getting very weak my chest hurts so bad my left brest is very swollen collor bones wollen my left arm is Killing me its been this way for 3 months now am getting worse .... now i was stuck into the hospital couple weeks ago was told i got bad case of shingles now and they STILL CANT TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT TETANUS or why i hurt so Darn bad and why my lft side is swollon up and i stay sick 8 Months out of the year !!!

The only relif i get is taking Benadryl -- AS SOON as the heat starts i know am in for hell but AS SOON as it starts i take a swig of Benadryl and that is the Only thing in this whole world that TAKES CARE OF MY PROBLEM !!!!!!!! So my Doctors HA HA HA its a joke getting any real answers from them ..

So my DOCTOR IS CALLED MR. TAKE A SWIG OF Benadryl

AM So Sorry for all you folks that has dealt with a problem from tetanus Only if you was in my shoes you would know
what am dealing With as am trying to get medical help with no effort what so ever
You got a job NO SIR we cant help you got 100$ no .. am so sorry we cant help OMG !!

So at 44 am going to be sick all the rest of my life and be a very poor man with no support but a little from the Family.

I recently got the tetanus shot, about 2 days ago and it took a whole day for my arm to hurt really bad, but the pain has subsided a little. i am still aching all over like i just went to the gym for the whole day, and i did have the chills but after taking a tylenol and sleeping for more than 8 hours my chills are gone and now i am just fatigued. i heard this was a normal side affect and should go away in about a week or so. I hope everyone here gets well soon.

I got a tetanus shot about 3 months ago. I had a severe reaction to the shot. Two days after receiving the shot, I had a high fever and the injection sight was red, swollen and hard and VERY painful. My husband called my doctor who told him to alternate hot and cold compresses. This helped to break up the fever and get the swelling to go away, however, I am left with my hands and feet extremely swollen, I have peripheral neuropathy (tingling sensation in my hands and numbness), all of my joints ache and I feel exhausted and irritable all the time. My doctor put me on 2 rounds of steroids, which didn't do much and has referred me to a Rheumatologist to see what to do next. My appointment isn't for another month (the earliest I could get in) so I'm suffering in pain every minute of every day. I have no idea what to do to help alleviate the pain.

Just got a tetnus booster on Wednesday as part of a physical for a new job. After having a hard red knot develop at the injection site, pain in my arm and fever/chills, I went back to the doc. She said all this was normal, take a couple of ibuprofen and some benedryl, apply some neosporin pain relief cream to the site. Did all this but still feeling pretty miserable: fever, chills, fatique. Seriously sucks because I start my training for my new job on Monday.
Hope everyone suffering this feels better soon.