I have been on the Depo shot for 12 years. I elected to stop it 2 months ago to help me to lose weight and regain normal periods. I went to the emergency room last week while in excruciating painwhich had lasted 4 days already. The admitting diagnosis was abdominal, pelvic, back and upper leg pain and 24 hour nausea. I had a CT scan and an Ultrasound. I was diagnosed with a small 2.2 cm ovarian cyst. The doctors can't believe that this small mass is causing all this debilitating pain. The white blood cell count is normal and there are no other signs of infection. I have such terrible pain that I can't work and usually don't drive due to the pain medication making me dizzy.

I am a nurse with many years of medical education. I have never heard of these sort of problems from coming off Depo. I have had breast tenderness and overal body weakness that I have attributed to Depo withdrawal.

The doctors say that this mass should burst in a matter of time. The time frame is 3 days to 2 months. I have already been in pain for 2 weeks. How do I live with this and is there anything else I can do? I am taking Advil 800 mg every 4-6 hours and using the heating pad when I am not sleeping.

Has anyone else had these type of problems and what have they done to control them?

I have had the same symptoms as you and have been diagnosed with two simple cysts (one on each ovary). The left ovarian cyst is 5cm and the right ovarian cyst is 4.2 cm. I am having the pelvic pain, upper leg pain, and nausea that you speak of. My gyn keeps saying that the size of these cysts should not be causing this kind of pain and that the nausea is not related to the cysts. I have been researching the symptoms of ovarian cysts and sure enought nausea is listed as a symptom. He put me on the nuvaring to supress ovulation. I am to have a repeat ultrsound following my next period. I am using aleve and motrin for the pain and I also am using a heating pad to fall asleep. Please let me know if you have found out any additional information bout your condition. I am hoping my cysts will disslove during my next period and the pain will go away.

i have my right ovarian cyst now that measures 7.5cm which is of complex type. I was scheduled for operation next week but scared to undergo with it. I asked 2nd opinion from other OB ... I was advised to have depo every 15day of the month but there's no assurance that this will be cured though it worked in some cyst cases. Im taking the risk of depo.

I have been on Depo since May 2000. In 2003 I started waking up in the middle of the night with excruciating abdominal cramps. I was too scared to figure out what was going on until 2006. The doctors did an ultrasound and said that I have "some polyps" but that I was within the "normal" range for someone my age (26 at the time). I had a bad pap smear come back so I think that distracted the doctor from determining what was causing the cramps at night. One doctor even mentioned that it's probably Irritable Bowel Syndrome. So I chalked it up to that until yesterday. So my new doctor tells me that he thinks I am experiencing ovarian cysts, because I don't bleed AT ALL from the Depo my eggs are not released anywhere and they are forming cysts, and the pain is when they rupture. So he's sending me for an ultrasound at the end of the month. I'm scared to death what kind of damage has been done if this is what has been happening for 6 years now. I had never been told any of this was possible being on Depo.

I was on Depo for 4-5 years and have been off of it for 5 years. I continue to get extremely painful cysts and my periods are becoming more and more unbearable. (just a note that I have a HIGH pain tolerance - after my c-section I took nothing but advil). The more people I talk to about Depo the more I hear horror stories of long term effects that are not reported anywhere that is available to the average patient. My understanding is that many health professionals fought having this medication approved, but somehow it is still here.

im having similar problems. ive been on depo for 3 years now and for the past two months ive been having unbearable pains. today i went for the ultra sound but they havent told me anything. and also noone has really told me if this can affect child bearing in the future

yes i was o ndepo for almost 3 years and then i got off cause of 70lbs of weight gain, i think the depo made me gain weight, but anyways thats besides the fact well i had just recently found out that i have a ruptured cyst on my left ovary and they said it had been the size of a baseball. im scheduled to go in and their going to look at it through my belly button, she was also going to check me for endometriosis that may have developed from all of this cysts stuff goin on well i hope i helped oh and believe me i know the kinda pain yall r goin through

I was on the Depo shot for my first year of Marriage. I went off because of horrible side effects. Jump 5 years later and I had a HUGE cyst on my right ovary that needed to be removed surgically. It through me into early menopause at 28 and now my desperate hopes for having more children are dead. I grieve because I know there is a possibility that this is my fault. If Depo is linked to this, and I think that it is after my research, than that is very sad that it is still being given. As a matter of fact MOST birth controls have been taken off the shelves at one point or another because of the health risks to women. So much for liberating women. More like debilitating women.

I have heard millions of side effects of the depo shot, but never the possibility of cysts. For the past 3 years i have been on the ortho pill. However, the last time i went in to see my doctor, i decided to try the shot. I got the shot just after my period for the month stopped, and not even a week after getting depo, my period started back up again, with excruitiating stabbing cramps. I have always been blessed with easy periods with little to no cramping. And i am extremely worried about this. Not only was it so much more painful than usual, but as my periods last a strict, regular 4 to 5 days, this one has lasted for over a week. I started research when i began to worry, and although i find stories connecting cysts and the shot, i can find nothing that is similar to my story except for the pain. It is like cramps, but alot worse. The pain even stabs further up on my left side as well. Sometimes its so bad i cant stop my legs from shaking just to walk. I havent had any leg pain, which ive read is common for cysts... but im a little desperate for information, and help. I have had several of the minor symptoms, which i expected, such as mood swings, the changes in my sleep patterns, serious acne problems (which suck lol), and headaches, but i am worried there is a bigger problem arising. I would go back to my doctor, but i am uninsured, and financially struggling. So maybe someone out there can help me figure this one out. I would appreciate any help i can get. Thank you.

I have been on depo for over 9 years. 3 years ago I developed a rash, it started under my arms and gradually spread all over my body. I itched terribly and actually turned red all over! I ended up in the hospital, they treated me with prednizone and anti-hystamines & creams. Nothing helped and no one ever found out what it was, it just gradually diminished after a year. 6 months ago I started cramping, this went on for 4 months - usually at night and it was all I could do to lay still until the pain eased. I have also had breast tenderness now and then for days at a time. I haven't had a period for 8 years at least, though I'll have occassional spotting. I have noticed my hair and nails are more brittle than they used to be and I have gained 45 pounds for no reason. I started reading all the depo forums I could find. I just never realized it could be the depo shots. I have decided to stop the depo immediately and canceled my shot yesterday. I am fearful to say the least of any withdrawl symptoms after being on this stuff for all these years. I had asked my doctor last year if I had been on it for too long. He said I could stay on it for as long as I wanted to but that I could be menopausal and not know because depo masks the symptoms( I just turned 50). The last shot I got I found out that my blood pressure was higher than in the past - no apparrent reason for that either. I also noticed an increase of fatigue - I get tired quicker and I have always been very active and healthy. I'm glad I started reading what others have been going through, I just wish I would have checked into the side effects of depo sooner. My doctors have never mentioned these things, and only recently about the bone loss (tested ok there).

I just found out i have an ovarian cyst and i am currently on and have been on depo for the last year. Supposedly you shouldnt be having any of this kind of stuff with depo because it is supposed to reduce if not eliminate any possibility of having ovarian cysts... personally i think the depo shot causes them. I have read dozens of cases where women are getting ovarian cysts while on depo. You may have had these cysts while on it and didn't know. Half the time the pain gets worse as the cyst grows or as more complications arise. Thoughts?

I have been on the Depo shot for almost 6 months now. This past week I have had pain on my right side and one night when it first started I felt like I was going to collapse. Two days later I was in urgent care with my husband when they told me I may have a problem with my appendix when they told me to rush straight to the emergency room because it could possibly be my appendix and I may need surgery. This was at 4:00 pm when I finally arrived at the er and they had to do a CT Scan as well as an ultrasound. They finally told me my appendix was fine but I had a cysts on my ovary. I am wondering if it's due to the Depo shot and I have to say it's the most unbearable pain and I am taking narcotics for the pain because tylenol and advil doesn't work for me and let's remind you I have had 3 kids w/out medication and almost died having my third. I normally can take pain but this nutts!!! I seriously think the Depo may have a hand in what's going on with my body. I will not take the shot again and will try something else if that works.

I got my first depo shot at age 14 i am now 18 i really liked it i never had a period i did gain a little weight but not to much,but i stopped using it about 4months ago due to about after a year of gettin it i was experiencing lower back pain really bad pains on my right n left sides on my stomach and my hips hurting.about 6-7 months ago i found out i had mulitple cyths on both ovaries. now that i have been off of my shot i have a weird period i will bleed for like a week stop for a week then bleed for another week sometimes i bleed for two weeks straight.when i do have my weird period the pain is excruciating its even hard to get out of bed sometimes cause when i got to get up my stomach muscles press on the cyths n it hurts soo bad.even to bend over or picking things up is hard to do it makes my back hurt soo bad to where i just wanna lay down and sometimes cry.my soctor tols me to come bak in if i had more pains n they would give me somthing. i went back in and she just overlooked it and didnt so anything about it.im a lil worried due  to the fact some cyths can be cancerous and my doctor just paid no attention to it. so i went to another doctor n she gave me birth control pills supposivly to keep them from growing, well i took thhem and my cyths hurt even worse than before.so i stopped taking them.now i am still in the same old situation with no idea of what to do. they say if they are too big they have to be removed well i dnt even know how big they are my doctor never even told me.ive never had anyy problem with anything i was very healthy and never had pains or anything. i believe that the depo causes more than we know. because since then im having more and more things wrong with me i have cholestrol problem i even have calcium problems,ive never in my life had anything like this happen to me.imm not saying the shot caused the other problems but its the only kind of medication ive ever been on the after using it i get all kinds of things going wrong with me??i dont know what i should do cause my doctors wont do anything or check it again im tjinking about getting a diff doctor in a diffrent county cause these doctors where i live are useless to me. maybe someone could help me in the same situation im in what should i do??

i am 19 years old and i was on the depo shot for 6 years, my periods have completley stopped, the last time i had a period i was maybe 13. i started having serious pain in my abdomen. when i went to the doctor i found out (after internal and external ultrasounds) that i have one cyst that is 2.0 cm and one that is 1.99 cm on my right overie along with many smaller ones and on my left ovarie about 10 small cysts. the doctors wont do anything because i am so  young. they hope that the cysts will go away on there own when i have a period. the only problem is i do not have periods. i am always in pain and i fear i may never be able to have children. any advice?

i have not been on the shot before, but i have had those symptoms. i have had ovarian cysts since i was only anout 15. At that age i was diagnosed with 12 cysts. they are ver painful and sometime nausiating (i cant spell) i just usually take it easy and keep taking ibuprofen and then 2 hours later take acetaminafin. and also use a heating pad or hot bath. its miserable i have had them now for 7 years and have had 4 cysts burst. but once its gone you feel like your in heaven because the pain is gone.