I had an ileostomy reversal just over 3 weeks ago (had my ileostomy since May 2008, following surgery for rectal cancer) and since then have suffered from chronic constipation.
My consultant has given me Movicol and I find that although this helps with bowel movement, it is still very difficult and quite painful. I don't want to end up with haemarroids.
I'm eating lots of fruit and veg but so far, it doesn't really seem to have helped.
I know that most people suffer from diahorrea post surgery, so my problem is a bit unusual. Does anyone have any advice?

THanks
Sharon

1/2 juice glass of prune juice regularly may be of help.

When you do ileostomy reversal you will need a new diet plan. First and most important thing is not to have large meals. Your body won’t tolerate this and you will have problems with bowel movements. The best option is to eat every three hours but smaller portions. You will need a lot of proteins. Carbs on the other hand need to be on the minimum. Fiber is another type of food that you will be able to eat and digest properly.
Usually with ileostomy reversal makes your food go through you fast, and many foods like fats don’t get digested properly. Your constipation could be a big problems. Have you told your doctor about this? Do you drink enough of water?

I had an ileostomy reversal 6 weeks ago and I am in severe pain from constipation. My doc gave me some enemas but they are not strong enough and only relieving the pain for about an hour. I had to have an enema within the first week of the op. Starting to wish i had the ileostomy back!! Piles and soreness are back again too! Someone help.

I had a ileostomy in 2011.  So far all has gone pretty well.  On the odd occasion, when I,m under severe stress then constipation rears it,s ugly head.