Hi, couple of weeks ago I had an ileostomy. After the recovery, I was discharged from the hospital with an ileostomy bag. Shortly afterwards, a new problem arose. I was feeling severe itching on my legs. From time to time it stops but occurs again and not only on legs but face as well. I did some research and found out that this itching is called pruritus. Do you know what causes pruritus that follows ileostomy?

Hi, this is a very interesting condition. I must say that it is also very difficult to answer. It is true that pruritus is a severe itching attack. Since you had an ileostomy, I can only guess what causes it. Perhaps you are allergic to ileostomy bag or the tape itself and because of them pruritus occurs. There are also cases in which patients develop an allergy to certain types of food. That is why it is important to visit your doctor so that he can determine whether you are allergic to some foods or allergic to anything at all. You must also consider a high level of bilirubin as a possible cause of pruritus that follows ileostomy.

I found your post. I had an ileostomy in 1995 followed by general pruritis. It is especially severe at night when I am trying to sleep and affects my face and body. After being investigated for many different causes: Liver disturbance, kidney function, allergic problem nobody could tell me why. I believe that at the time of operation there was damage to the nerves in the abdomen that control autonomic function. sadly I don't think there is a cure but maybe herbal sedatives like valerian and passiflora might help.