Hi. A friend of mine is epileptic. She was prescribed with Zoloft. My Mom is taking Zoloft to treat her depression. I don`t think Zoloft is used for seizures. What do you think?

Hi. I take Zoloft to treat anxiety. I know Zoloft is an antidepressant. It is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety, panic disorder, premenstrual dysphoric and post-traumatic stress disorder. I have never heard Zoloft is used for seizures. However, Zoloft, like any other drug, may be used for other purposes. Your friend was probably prescribed with Zoloft to treat her depression, or some other conditions I have mentioned above. There are many drugs that will affect Zoloft. These drugs include aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac and others. As you can see, anti-epileptic drugs are not among them.

i take zoloft and i also have epilepsy. i have had epilepsy since i was very young. many seizure medications such as dilantin are also used for anxiety depression bipolar disorder etc. and the other way around. it is very possible that zoloft can also be used as a seizure med as almost every seizure med i can think of is also used as an anti depressant or anti psychotic. seizures are caused by problems with chemicals in your brain (neurotransmitters) and so is many forms of depression and mental illness....so its not that far off.

In the first place, seizures are caused by the electrical firing of neurons in the brain because of lack of communication from one another or lack of oxygen. The neurotransmitters are what help the neurons communicate so the seizures won't occur. I myself take gaminobutric-acid (GABA) which is the most important inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, along with L-tyrosine, taurine, Omega-3, magnesium, zinc, and herbal supplements that are anti-spasmodic, preventing side-effects. Before learning of complementary alternative medicine (CAM), I was taking anticonvusant drugs along with antidepressants for bipolar disorder but they were no good at all. It did make sense that a person knows how to behave, react, and speak by using their mind --- conventional medicine do not help you LEARN. Months after starting psychotherapy I learned how to control my emotions, what was causing my depression and took care of it (epilepsy) using alternative medicine such as biofeedback, yoga, massage therapy, body talk, herbal & homeopathic supplements, at the same time reducing and eliminating prescription drugs. I recommend not to rely on doctors, FDA, Federal Trade Commission, pharmaceutical companies, legislature, and national government when they prescribe to you prescription medicines because they are after your money and their wealth --- not your health. When doctors state "all medicines cause side-effects", they mean CONVENTIONAL medicine which will never cure you. Traditional medicine is much safer and effective to use with little or NO side-effects, such as Spirulina, Chromium, Chaga, Reishi Mushrooms, Kelp and many more. They can even heal a person naturally; that is how my depression disappeared and my seizures reduced 80%

I was prescribed Zoloft for anxiety and am also an epileptic. I have yet to have a seizure since I began taking it.