I’ve been diagnosed with epilepsy 6 years ago, when I had my first major seizure triggered by high body temperature I had while I was having flu. After the initial seizure, I was first given Lamictal to help control the seizures. But since it wasn’t really effective I was switched first to Depakote then to levetiracetam (Keppra).

I’ve been on levetiracetam for a year now and I’ve been almost completely seizure free, but at the same time I’m diagnosed with major depressive disorder and am on anti depressant, Seroxat, as well. I feel like it doesn’t make sense for me to stay on Keppra if its causing me to be depressed, but is there a different antiepileptic drug that is as efficient as levetiracetam?

how big dose of levetiracetam are you on? Maybe lowering the dosage, if the lower one still manages to control your seizures, would help with your depression symptoms. If this can't work, you'll need to try a different anti-epileptic medication to replace Keppra, so you might want to talk to your doctor bout doing that, too.

At the same time your depression symptoms should improve, unless your depression is caused by some other reason than levetiracetam.