Please I need to get some info regarding distal myopathy for that is how my sister's 16 years old son has been diagnosed recently. I know it is something about legs and arm muscles but I don't seem to understand that what is this distal myoptahy condition actually means or to be more precise he is diagnosed with finnish distal myopathy and my sis was told he risk to be paralyzed in some future time if the disease turn out to be more progressive. Can this be true and what is this distal myopathy about?

Well it is partially true all depends what genes he inherited in other words if the boy has inherited only one damaged gene than the progress of distal myopathy is very slow and it usually stays on the same condition –muscle weakness and that affects usually lower parts of the legs and arms. But in case that her son has inherited two defected genes than prognosis are not good for in this case it is very common that finnish or tibial distal myopathy is very progressive and up to his 30-es it may easily happen that he won't be able to walk any more. And in this very last stage of distal myopathy it comes to the so called fall of the foot for the muscles aren't able to wear the foot while walking any more but one of the solutions to deal with this problem is to ware ankle-foot orthosis that are worn over the lower leg area and over the shoe.