Hi, I was visiting my little sister in hospital because he operated her tonsils yesterday and I saw a little boy with oxygen mask over his face. He was so sweet so I asked one of the nurses to tell me why is he wearing that mask and why is he in the hospital. Nurse told me that this boy suffers from dysautonomic mitochondrial myopathy which is very severe disease. I would like to know something more about it.

Hi, dysauthonomic mitochondrial myopathy is myopathy caused by defect in genes which cause mitochondria, cell organs which are producing energy,to not work properly. Consequently because of lack of energy muscle fibers are unable to function properly and it cause damages on muscles. This is hereditary disease which belongs to mitochondrial group of myopathies. Clinical picture is usually very severe and it affects respiratory muscles and that is the reason why was that boy wearing oxygen mask.