I would like to know if there is a connection between peripheral neuropathy and peripheral myopathy? My grandfather is suffering from peripheral neuropathy and it seems that his condition is worsening. He is a diabetes patient for 15 years now, and it was the cause for his current health problems. Doctors said that neuropathy in his case is represented by distal symmetric sensor motor dysfunction. Since muscles are also affected, I wanted to know about that possible connection with peripheral myopathy.

Both of these conditions are very serious and difficult. But, they work on a totally different level. Myopathy is based on muscle fibers degeneration, while neuropathy stands four neural cell damage. Peripheral neuropathy could emerge in people with diabetes and people who have alcohol problem. In addition, there are many substances that could be the cause of it, such as nitrous oxide, lithium, hydralazine, ethambutol, dapson...