Hello. I'm 30 year old male and I'm really interested more about one disease. My brother, who is seven years younger then me, about a month ago, has developed some strange muscle disorder. It all began with some muscle weakness and rarely- muscle cramping.
Then, after few days, he started to suffer from nausea, vomiting, headache and seizures.
We all were very worried about him and tool him to see a doctor. After few tests and blood check up- he was diagnosed with some disorder called mitochondrial myopathy. Does anybody know more about it and possible ways of treatment?

Hello. I don’t know a lot about it but I know that this is very serious disorder. Supposedly, this disorder is caused by damage to the mitochondria, energy-producing structures in cells.
Many men experience this disorder before the age of 20.
Your brother has experienced the most typical symptoms- muscle fatigability, flaccid neck muscles, fatigue and inability to walk.
When we are talking on molecular level it is all about some defects in genes that produce proteins that process food into energy inside cells
Bad thing about this disease is that there is no specific treatment for mitochondrial myopathy. But with regular physical therapy patient can extend the range of movements.

My brother also had mitochondrial disease and it could not be cured with PT> It is a genetic disorder he was born with. It was called Kearns-Sayre. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer based on what I know. Liz

Hello,my sister was told she has this and my test showed negative but yet I have the same exact problems as my sister and now my older sister is having some of the same problems,mine Severe fatique,loss of balance muscle feel weak most times legs feel heavy walking up steps memory problems Confusion at times im really stumped,as my younger sisters 2 neurologist she's had said to her unless we were adopted there is no way we also cant have this as it is genetic,i dont know what to think

Hello,My sister age 46 was told she has this disease thru a biopiosy,i had 1 done as well but they tell me mine was negative but yet i have the same exact problems and symptoms as my younger sister,my older sister has been having some of the same symptoms as well so it confuses me,as to the difference in our biopiosy's but there is no cure for this,the have an over the counter thing i cant rember what my sister said it was that they use to help in some way ???I myself due to loss of balance dizzy spells,severe fatique Memory,Miuscle weakness and other problems is heading to a State VA home,as the assment on me last year during a 15 day stay @ VA hosp.said they didnt feel i was safe to be at home we live on 2 story house and they feared i may dfall down stairs and injure myself.God Bless to all who suffer from this cruel Disease