Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me.. I'm 30 years old & have always suffered from irregular periods. I'm over weight & have started to do something about it. I've been bleeding for nearly 12 weeks. After pushing my doctor I went for a internal scan on Monday as I've been in agony. I've been told that my womb lining is still 23mm thick which is really worrying considering the length I've been bleeding for. I've got to go & have some more tests & there telling me not to worry as I have no lumps or bumps which is a good sign. But I'm petrified, I desperately want children & I have a history of cancer in the womb as my nan & my great nan also suffered with it.

Can anyone put my mind at rest ?

Hello emmie, 

it's hard for anyone online to give you more accurate information than your doctors can, but there are reasons other than cancer that can cause various uterine changes - from endometriosis to uterine fibroids or even benign tumors. Of course, given your family history of womb cancer it's best to go the safest way and completely rule out that possibility, but in the meantime, such prolonged bleeding sounds more like it's caused by endometriosis rather than cancer. 

Wish you all the best, 

Nicole

Thanks Nicole, just having someone's thoughts & opinions help... It's driving me crazy, I can't seem to escape my own thoughts & panic in my own head.. Have now got a hospital appointment for next Wednesday so I'm hoping to know a little more about what's going on then... Thanks once again x