Here is my story. I'm currently in my late 30's, but when I was in my early teens, I simultaneously had hernia surgery (located in my scrotum on the right side) and a surgery for a varicocele (located right above my left testicle). I had a very long scrotum at the time, and I remember seeing a cap-shaped structure on the back of my left testicle. My mother figured that it was associated with the varicocle surgery, and I soon forgot about it. Whether or not that is connected to my current problem, I don't know.

Years have passed, and I never checked my testicles for lumps or anything. Never even looked at them, despite feeling pains now and then. I did notice six years ago that my left testicle seemed to be bigger in the back, but I figured it was a back up of semen since I had started watching pornography but never masterbate. I get yearly physicals, and the only thing my doctor has said about my testicles is that they hang lower than other guys. He tapped at the big area of my left testicle years ago, but said nothing about it. Although he did comment that my epididymis was inflamed above both testicles (I have two lumps above both testicles, and they are always there).

Eight months ago, I experienced explosive pain in my left testicle (and it temporarily became very big) while watching porn, and that is when my cancer fear started. The more I read online about testicular cancer, the more afriad I got. And the more afraid I got, the more I started checking my testicles- which I regret ever doing. For the first time ever, I took a good look at the big area behind my left testicle. It's a lump, located in the center. Sometimes it feels sharp, sometimes it's big and hangs past my testicle, sometimes sore to the touch, and sometimes it's squishy. If I let my left testicle rest on a flat surface, the lump spreads out, like a balloon with a point on the end (but it feels like flesh). Sometimes the back of my testicle sticks to my leg now, and the back of my scrotum stretches out- I won't see a lump, only a cord that gets tangled and eventually straightens back out.

I thought it could be a hernia, but I doubt it, because only the back of the left testicle gets big. I keep thinking that it's sexually related- I used to always notice the lump and feel pain while watching porn, and I never masterbate (yes I know it's stupid). And when I watch porn now, the lump temporarily gets bigger. And of course, I constantly think it's cancer. But realistically, I've had this thing for over six years!

I've been very worried for eight months now. One night I couldn't even sleep. I think about it more than anthing else, and feel it more than I ever did. If it's epidimytis or a cyst. I'll deal with the occassional itchyness, and occasiosal discomfort and pain that I feel while I'm sitting down. If it's a hernia, I'll get the surgery. But cancer??? I can't deal with that. I'm skinny as it is- no way I can handle weight loss from chemo. I don't want to lose a testicle when I haven't even used the thing (I'm a virign). I don't want to worry my mother, who has health issues of her own. I'm probably going to wait until my physical in April, and see what my doctor says, but I want your opinion...

What do you think is wrong with me? Do you think I have cancer? :(

Hi Guest,

Please see your urologist for an exam.  They can do an ultrasound if necessary to determine what the lump is.

In my opinion, based upon what you say your doctor found, you have epididymitis.  The average age of onset is around 40.   It can cause sharp pain.  I believe the structure you saw was your epididymis.

Testicular cancer often presents with NO pain.

A urologist is your best resource.

Good luck.