I was at my gynecologist and was said I had thick uterine. Doctor prescribed me with provera (supposed to take it for 2 weeks) and said I shall experience excessive bleeding. He told me to take this because I could develop cancer on uterine. Is anybody else here with this experience?

Hey!!
This also happened to me...Nurse it is “normal”, one of the reasons is my obesity. I was also prescribed with provera for 10 days (and did bleed heavily), since I was in pre-menopausal stage. I went for a check up 3 months later, and then 6 months later and then year after. I am in menopause now. Luckily, everything is all right. I sincerely hope you are too!

hi, i am 26 years old and i was at my gynecologist and was said I had thick uterine walls aslo. i have long lasting periods. The doctor wanted to look further inside me to see if i have tumors or cancer, but i was scared and i haven't been back. i was hoping i can just change my eating habits and everything will go back to normal. i dont know what to do , help

I had the same thing this past January. The difference is when I took the Provera it did very little for my period...I had a 3 - 4 day period no excessive bleeding in fact, it was one of the lesser ones I've ever had. I also had sever pain and fatigue with mine. Mine didn't get better and last week I went to see another doctor who ordered another ultrasound and a CT scan. The lining is still thick, I'm still in pain! They are sending me now to another doctor. Does anyone have a clue what I can expect?

I am having the same thing as you. By now I am sure you have found something out would you be interested in telling me. I went to the Dr. and had a biopsy done which was normal. But my pain is the same they also put me on Zoloft. I asked about the pain and was told they could give me pain meds if it continues ( have had this for 2 yrs with getting worse). I went in for pain and came out with nothing and no answers?

I have the same problem. My periods get so heavy that i sometimes cannot wear a pad for more than 15 minutes or so, probably because it gets so thick that it will not absorb. Measuring (diva cup) shows an ounce of menstrual blood in less than an hour- whereas I am told that most women have less than 2oz in a week. So far, this month I have been on my period for the last 4 weeks, before that i had 2 weeks off and 10 days on. I am dizzy and extremely tired. I eat all the time to try and replenish what I am losing, but cannot exercise as I would like to because it increases the bleeding. I have gained about 10lbs this month, but am still far from being overweight (which i read this is more common in obese people... i weigh 130lbs) so I am very confused as to what is causing any of this.

When my cycles are regular, they usually last at least 10 days, but i sometimes skip them altogether. Noone seems to know what's going on. Twice I have had ultrasounds show cysts, and yesterday I was told I had a thick uterine lining, with a referral to a gyno. I have no idea what to expect at this point, and googling only came up with cancer and menopause (I am 25 years old).

If anyone has any answers, please let me know. Also, as it seems likely that i will need a biopsy, what is involved in that?

I was diagnosed with this in my late teen years. I am now in my late 30's and have had difficulty conceiving. I haven't had anything else diagnosed so far though. I've never been prescribed provera or any other treatment to thin the lining either; so that's news to me. I'll have to ask my doctor about that next time I visit. She did just put me on Yaz bc's though; so maybe that will do something to it.

Heh im 23 i just recently had a bout of extremely heavy bleeding with clots.. (not the first but definitely the worst so far) had to call an ambulance and go to the er they gave me a shot of premarin to stop the bleeding which after several hours stopped the bleeding and a blood transfusion since my hemaglobin was at critical low levels, they also did an exam and ultrasound.. i was told little if anything about the results of anything.. then i was released a few hours earlier than i was supposed to be.. i was told "nothing looks seriously wrong we want you to see dr so and so for a follow up and prescription for premarin.. ok so then the next day i go to my follow up.. everythings going good until the rude and pardon the expression B****y dr comes in and starts being pushy.. then prescribes me the premarin.. all the sudden she decides to look at the ultrasound again.. and she says she might see something..so they want to do a biopsy.. she scares the c**p out of me telling me all this stuff about more tests if they dont get a good sample this time, then talking about surgery etc.. then she suddenly changes her mind and cancels the premarin prescription..and prescribes provera for a few days.. now dont get me wrong... but i asked her if the provera would make me bleed.. and she told me no... but i started thinking if im taking the provera to slough off the lining of my uterus so they can get a clearer ultrasound? then wouldnt i bleed again? i mean she said i probably would bleed again a little when the premarin wore off anyhow unless i was lucky... but come on i mean i needed 2 units of blood from bleeding last time and i wasnt on any meds at all, so if provera is going to start it up again she flat out blatently lied to me about it, and im almost afraid to take it without getting a second opinion first..i cant afford er trips just because she want to use me as a guinea pig.. any opinions on the matter?

hi! last dec 2007 i had bleeding for 2 weeks straight and when i went to the doctor, she found a cyst on my left ovary and a thick endometrial lining. i was first prescribed with provera and she told me that the bleeding is gonna stop after a few days from taking the medicine. and luckily in 2 days it did stop. provera is taken to make the endometrial lining thinner if it's on its abnormal thicker size. after taking provera, on my next 3 menstrual cycles (3months) i had to take yasmien bc's for my ovarian cyst. and it did help my cyst to go away. i stopped taking any medication after this and just this evening i went to a doctor to have my regular ultrasound on pelvis and surprisingly, she found a thick endometrial lining again! i don't know if this was caused by the pills i took long way back but i don't seem to notice any abnormality nor bleeding for quite some time. now i have to consult by gynecologist again and probably will be prescribed with provera for d 2nd time around...

Hello Everyone,

I just had me checked today. And I am really scared. I am 32, trying to get pregnant and according to the doctor I have a 15 millimeter thick uterus lining which he said is strange for someone who just bled for more than a month.Supposedly, my lining should be as thin as it can be because I just got done with my period. I had this problem before where I bled for about 2 and a half months. I ended up being anemic and they gave me progestrone, iron pills, vitamin d pills and birth control pills. The reason for the progestrone is to stop my bleeding and the birth control pills to regulate my cycle as they wanted to observe what's going on in my system. They did all the checks, thyroid, vitamin d, preg test, hormone test, they even took a biopsy I believe during that time of my ovaries. Results came back it was negative. Today I went and saw my doctor again since I just had a month period and he said that I have a lining that is about 15 millimeter. He is afraid that I might have uterus cancer so he took biopsy of my uterus and will find out the result on Tuesday. For the meantime, he prescribed Megace (to helpshed the lining of my uterus), vitamin D, to help my over health, and birth control pills. He also wanted me to start taking a prenatal vitamins. Depending on the result on tuesday, he said if it is positive of cancer, I will have to have hysterectomy. I hope not. This would be very sad as I want more children.

I am also wondering what is going on with me. I am probably going through periomenpause (I am 51) which explains my episodic periods. However, my lining has been thick (22mm) and I was put on Prometrium. Two ultrasounds indicated ovarian cysts, one on the left, which went away then then next ultrasound showed two new ones on the right. It has been 6 weeks since my last period. I have another ultrasound scheduled on Sept. 30th. If I don't get a period, my lining will surely be thick again.

The next option is a D & C. I just want my periods to be over. Period

hi i am 23 yrs old have two young boys. I am soooo worried.i have recently been suffering from symtoms mirroring ibs, then pains in back legs stomach and in my vagina. i also have a cloudly sometimes clear discharge thats quite slimy. my periods are normally heavy, but my last period was heavy for 7 days and normally the colour gets darker but it didn't it was still bright red by day 7 and i was having the slimy discharge but stained red. i went for an ultra sound scan where i was told that the lining of my womb is thicker than average,but wouldn't tell me anything else, and said i had to wait a week and the results would be sent to my doctor. please if anyone could shed any light i am really worried i can't thick of anything else.x

HI, i wanted to know how it all went? i know it was a while ago and i hope you got sorted out...

I have exactly the same problem as you and am very worried, my dr says i have cervical erosion and my lining is always thick and so he thinks i could have a cyst or something, he has schelduled a hystroscopy for me in the next few week,,,

any help or advice would be great. I am also trying to concieve 1st time around.

Please email me on

Thank you and i wish you all the best x

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of this problem. I am 17 years old and I only have 1 period a year if that. I have a 14 month old son, and I need to know the symptoms proto please. Only reply if you really know the answer and can help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(

Hi everyone, Im 26 and very overwieght. I have multiple health issues that include high blood pressure, low iron, anf fatty liver. I have been dealing with issues with my menstration for a couple years at this point. Each doctor did an ultrasound and nothing. I recently went to an gyn endo who informed me that the lining inside my uterus is too thick didnt give me any furter info than that. I explained I had bleed for about 4 months with little let up being 1-5 days without bleeding. I had already had a bout with provera wich aparentlly is synthetic and that counteracted with my blood pressure medication. I got violently ill and stopped taking it. i then bled for about 3 days straight bleeding through a high absorbency pad an hour. This new doctor gave me prometrium and stated that when I want to convieve I would have to take clomid. A lot of you on here see,m to be fighting the same battle as I am. Any advice or suggestions as far as what to expect at this point. 8-|