I just looked at some imagines of young kids (all boys, because only they can get it) with 48,XXYY Syndrome. I have to say that their pictures don't look unlike those of kids with Down Syndrome. Does 48,XXYY Syndrome imply mental retardation, or are the facial abnormalities there for another reason?

Mental retardation is not a given with a diagnosis of 48, XXYY. A recent study, A new look at XXYY syndrome: medical and psychological features found that 26% had full-scale IQs in the range of intellectual disability (retarded/retardation is not a word that people use anymore but that adaptive functioning was significantly impacted with 68% with adaptive composite scores <70. If you want to learn more about 48 XXYY syndrome, please check out the XXYY Project

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hallo,
I know that 48,XXYY syndrome is an anomaly with sex chromosomes. You are right, only males can get this and this condition is characterize with one extra X and Y chromosome. The good thing is that this syndrome is not inherited and it usually occurs randomly. Most males with 48,XXYY syndrome have some degree of difficulty with speech and language development. If I am not mistaking learning disabilities are very common with males with 48,XXYY syndrome. Reading is the most problematic, but math and puzzles are often much easier tasks for them. Affected males have higher than average rates of behavioral disorders, such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). I hope this helped a bit.

I have a brother with XXYY and trust me, no. I have met soooo many boys with this abnormality, and let me tell you, most of them are as smart as a whip. No retardation, but I encourage you to go to one of the yearly symposiums.