Hiya, I was wondering if hyper empathy syndrome could be connected to some other mental disorders. I know that it's not an official diagnosis on its own now, but could the symptoms, the hyper empathy itself, be caused by other things too, things that CAN perhaps be diagnosed and treated? Some background on me, I've been feeling this way since my gran passed and even before, and a lot of family drama took place. So I'm personally exploring whether hyper empathy syndrome could be caused by grief right now, but don't let me limit you to that only. What are some other mental disorders that could cause your empathy to run wild?

I thought that hyper empathy syndrome was caused by specific changes to the brain. I know there was one case where a woman who had brain injury acquired hyper empathy, so when I think about hyper empathy syndrome, things like that come to mind. However, the brain can also change in response to traumatic changes, which is what you may have experienced, and the brain chemistry is different for people suffering from depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, and other mood disorders as well. Perhaps all of these could induce hyper empathy? 

I don't know much about this, mind you, and I am quite sure I do not have hyper empathy myself, but it's fascinating anyway. 

I read an article on another website that spoke specifically about the connection between borderline personality disorder and hyper empathy syndrome. I have a relative with BPD so that is why I was interested in this, and it really helped me understand some things about her so much better. 

It also highlighted that feeling more empathy than other people doesn't mean that you are socially adept, necessarily. It creates a lot of problems to feel that much empathy. Other people can interpret that as the person being needy or even creepy, and that must add to the pain people with hyper empathy syndrome are feeling. 

I don't know whether I have hyper empathy disorder, but I do recognize some bits in that I've been described as "too intense" from a very young age. My biggest fear as a child was the thought that the universe would one day end. I could live with the idea of the Earth ending, the solar system ending, but the thought that the universe is everything there is and that everything there is would one day come to an end, with nothing carrying on, was so frightening. I was also very affected by images of suffering in other parts of the world. And I vividly remembering once getting in trouble because I started crying and when my teacher asked what was up, I said it was because I was sad that a boy I didn't even get on with had gotten detention and I thought it was unfair. 

Does that sound like hyper empathy syndrome, or like something else?

I don't have any mental disorders that I am aware of but I do have mental illness in the family. I am wondering if this is related. 

Celebrity

Hey Londongirl,

In your boat, I would absolutely start with grief counseling. It sounds like you have had an awful lot going on recently and you're grieving not only your grandmother's loss, but also a falling apart of your extended family or the relationships within it? 

When you look for a counselor, look for someone who knows more about this as well though. That is harder because so little is known about hyper empathy, but describe what you are feeling during your first session and get a feel for how the therapist reacts to it. You should absolutely always feel comfortable with a counselor. If they make light of your feelings or do not understand them, then that person is not right for you. 

Rosie

Aaaah, that's interesting. I don't know much about borderline personality disorder beyond that folks with it are widely considered emotionally unstable and needy. I think they try to see how far they can go with a person, try to push them away, and then get upset when they succeed? It's often related to childhood trauma?

Just like anxiety and depression, borderline personality disorder affects interpersonal relationships and makes you question how much people around you really care.

So could hyper empathy syndrome be... a kinda self defence mechanism? Like you need to feel more empathy for some reason, to protect yourself? Does that make any kinda sense at all? It could apply for me I think...

I'm definitely considering grief counseling, but I'm not sure that's all I need. Whatever this thing is that I'm dealing with, it's badly affecting everything. Just today a Facebook friend sent me a message asking if everything was alright 'cause my posts seemed off to her. It's true. It's like my whole brain is functioning differently. It's NOT depression. I feel great a lot of the time too. I haven't lost interest in any activities, etc. But SOMETHING is very wrong. You're also right that I'm worried a shrink just isn't gonna understand me and might even make fun of what I say.

I have wondered whether hyper empathy syndrome (or disorder?) could be connected to sensory processing sensitivity, where people are easily overstimulated by external stimuli. This might range from caffeine to noise, to crowded places. It would no surprise me if people who are sensitive to everything else are also sensitive to other people's emotions, in other words, experience hyper empathy disorder. 

To put it simply, hyper empathy disorder could just be one facet of being more reactive to just about every stimulus, and other people's emotions are a stimulus too. This is just a random thought though. I don't know this for sure.