Hello, folks. My friends got a baby. Unfortunately, the baby has Down syndrome. I would like to know what the causes of this syndrome are. Both of my friends are healthy and I would never expect something like this. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me something more. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. Each human has 23 pairs of chromosomes. As you know, each pair has 2 chromosomes – one originates from a mother and the other one from a father. In Down syndrome there are three chromosomes in the 21st pair of chromosomes. This means that these kids have one chromosome more. Most cases of Down are not inherited. They are usually result of a dysfunctional cell division. There are some risk factors. The ones of the most mentioned are mothers who have their first pregnancy when they are older than 35. I hope this helps.