Hello, folks. My cousins got their first baby little late. I must admit that their baby is diagnosed with Down syndrome. I know that mental retardation is one of the characteristics of this disease. I would like to know something more about IQ level in these patients. Thank you in advance.

Hello. You are right. Mental retardation is a characteristic of Down syndrome. I am afraid I can’t help you with exact IQ figures. All I know that their IQ is low. However, you can consult with some specialist for this. You can try with a pediatrician or a psychologist. I hope someone here will help you with more details as well. Sorry I couldn’t help you. Good luck!

I am so sorry to hear that your sister’s baby is diagnosed with Down syndrome. It is not going to be easy for her so you need to be supportive as you can.

I am not sure that anyone can help you with your question about IQ except real specialist and even than I believe that they have some statistical numbers so no one can really answer your question. Considering that your sister’s baby is just a baby maybe it would be wise to wait with this negative prognosis. It is usual that mental retardation is one of the symptoms and it can be from mild to severe. IQ is low but as I have said there is always hope that it will not be so bad and terrible.