I need information about fetal disorder caused by Dilantin. What are the characteristics of fetal Dilantin syndrome? What are the chances for women epileptic to have healthy babies? What is the situation with other anticonvulsive drugs? I heard that some of them cause severe malformations, like spine bifida.

Fetal dilantin syndrome is disorder caused by exposure of a fetus to the anticonvulsant drug dilantin (phenitoin). Symptoms of this syndrome are growth deficiency, microcephaly, brain malformations and development delays. Treatment of epilepsy can’t be stopped during pregnancy. All the antiepileptic drugs have effects on fetus. Some of them are even teratogenic. About one third of children whose mothers are epileptics have birth defects.

Tyrosine
Tyrosine is known as the ‘antidepressant’ amino acid because appears to have a mild stimulatory effect on the Central Nervous System. Tyrosine aids in the functions of the adrenal, thyroid and pituitary glands.

Yes there are side effects that can happen, but its safer for you and the baby for you to continue to take your medicine. I am 36yo and have had epilepsy since I was 2yo. I am taking Dilatin, and have had 3 healthy children while being on it.

I just want to let you know, that it is possible to have a healthy child too....I have 3 of them. I am 36yo and have been on Dilatin for 17yrs. My dosage was increased and decreased as needed during each of my pregnancy's, as well as many ultrasounds were taken to assure development.

I'd like to share that I wasn't so fortunate. I have had three surgeries to correct facial abnormalities and brain malformations all due to that Dilantin my mom was taking during her pregnancy with me.

I searched this site 5 years ago & had found this topic on Dilantin. I printed the post so I'd have it in case I needed ti, because you see, my now 14 year old son was adopted. His birth mother used Dilantin her entire pregnancy. I was worried in the beginning of how the Dilantin might affect our son since I've no experience with this sort of thing. I am VERY HAPPY to report he is extremely intelligent, and has NEVER shown any signs of mental retardation, slowed growth, or birth defects :-D

I have Epilepsy. I've had it since 1982. When we found out, we we're trying to have our second son. The doctors said I would have no problem. I was on Tegretol.  But with my 3rd son, I was on dilantin. And he ended up with Fetal Dilantin Syndrome. they told me he had dismorphic facial features. (low hair-line, his nose). But to me he was perfect. He was slow at learning. And he ended up having seizures as well. But other than that he is healthy, 25 years old now! And I went on to have two more perfectly healthy boys. So you can have a healthy baby.:-D

Has everything been ok! I am pregnant 7 weeks and was taking Dilantin for the last 4 weeks that I didn't know was pregnant am scared and worried!

I have a grand daughter that learning disabilities, problems with anger, speech problems, etc., my daughter was on dilantin while pregnant, is it possible she has this syndrome? Her father is very similar in his speech, learning disablity etc.