I decided to take epidural during my delivery. But my friend told me that it’s not such good idea. She said that she heard a lot of stories about bad side effects of epidural, like serious long-term back pain. Now I don’t know what to do. Anyone experiencing back pain from epidural received during delivery?

Well, I can not tell you what you should do. You need to make decision. I only can tell you my experience with epidural. I didn’t have any strange feeling after delivery and I think that epidural is great. But my friend had back pain for months after delivery. I think that it’s not connected with epidural.

I had my 3rd child in March. 4 months later, I am still experiencing sharp backpain up the center of my spine.... more so when I arch my back. It is really frustrating. My OBGYN blew it off as muscle pains when I went back for my 6 week check up, but something is clearly wrong. The first 2 births with epidurals, this was not a problem. I also have had swelling and pain in my hands ever since as well... not sure if this is related to my back and/or the epidural. If I had to do it all over, I still don't know if I could do a natural birth. I would hire a MIDWIFE and make sure the nurses/dr checked me more often so I would have a better estimate of how much longer... not knowing when the end was coming helped me give up much quicker.

Hi I'm a writing this cuz I honestly do believe my back problems are a direct result of the epidurals I recieved years ago, My oldest child is now 17, my other is 14, in both cases an epidural was used, for the first I tried natural birth, but after 36hours in labor with only 6 centimeter dialation, the only other choice was c-section, having to curve my back for the needle to enter the gap between the bones in my spine was scary, I had never had back problems before this procedure, and if I had to do it again I'd not get them. I'm not saying its a constant pain, BUT when I do get, what I'd like to refer to as, a back attack, its sharp, its painful, and it lasts for a week or more,i'm crying from the pain, I can't walk, get up from a sitting position,bend from the waist, or even get out of bed from the excruciating pain... This was 17 yrs ago I'm now 41, and the only time a back issue has ever come up, my very first thought is, "this never was a problem, before, the epidural procedures" funny how the painful area that is in question is the very same area they administered the shot..... %-) ?

I have also experienced back pain since my epidural 23 years ago when I gave birth to my first child. Again I did not have back pain before hand and again the pain is in the area where the epidural was administered. The problems are also similar; the pain is not there all the time but when it does come it is a sharp pain and lasts for up to about a week. If I am standing straight when it first comes up I feel like everything could just 'give way'; if it comes on after I have been sitting I just cannot stand straight.

I also had severe mental illness, with the symptoms being that I was extremely hyper after the birth of my first child when I was induced; I am not sure whether it was a result of the drugs used to induce labour, the epidural or them being used in combination or not connected at all.

I had epidurals during both of my children's births. I did not have any complications after the first was born (she is now 7), but I have had reoccuring pain in the exact spot where the epidural was adminstered ever since my second child was born (she is now 5). I also experienced a searing pain when the second epidural was adminstered. It's actually as though I could feel the liquid squirting in and it felt like acid, that's how badly it hurt. The doctor had to pause because I screamed so loudly. It sounds weird, but I'm convinced it wasn't injected quite right and I have been suffering with the same pain as described by the women above. It comes seemingly out of the blue (i.e. not related to any lifting or strenuous activity) and lasts 1 -2 weeks and during that time I walk, bend, move like I'm 85.

I had an epidural with both of my boys now 6 and 4 and my back is fine; I do have back pain episodes when I move very heavy furniture around, otherwise no complaints, thank God. I think it's important to exercise and take the pregnancy weight off as soon as you can to have a healthier body. Good luck!

ardenia1340 wrote:

I had a epidural in 1999. My back aches often in the exact spot where I was injected. It is worse around my cycle time. It is just enough of an ache to take ibuprofen. I can't say I have pain, but the ache is uncomfortable.

It is funny that I have been having back pain since I had my two kids. I had epidurals with both. The oldest is 11 1/2 years old. The pain in just as Ardenia1340 described , its sharp, its painful, and it lasts for a week or more,i'm crying from the pain, I can't walk, get up from a sitting position,bend from the waist, or even get out of bed from the excruciating pain... I guess that is why we had to sign waivers before the shot. I did not have a choice but I guess I could be worse off so I try not to complain too much. :?

Hello dear.

I had a baby last July and was given epidural. Now for the past five months, I am suffering from an excruciating back pain at particular area in the back. So much so that I am unable to ben to lift the baby or put him down on the bed. This is suposedly a long term sid effect of epidural - back pain!
if you can avoid it, please do. It does effect some people, it is ok for few but why take a chance ?
All the very best for your delivery.

I had an epidural in 1991 with my second child who is now 18 years old. Pain, at the area in my lower back where I was injected, persists to this day - especially the week before and week during my cycle (period). It's so unbearable, sneezing all but brings me to my knees! I welcome menopause!!

So I have been having this terrible burning pain at the spot of my epidural injection. This is my 2nd epidural..... wait till you hear this..... I have an oldest son at the age of 3 , well he will be 4 in a few months, any way , I had an epidural for my delivery with him and I never had any problems what so ever...... here is the funny part... I now have an 8 month old baby boy. during my labor with the 2nd I had an epidural and I told the ansthey... um guy with the big needle it didn't feel right and that something was wrong and that it didn't feel like my last one. he said it is supposed to hurt and to just relax. Yeah like thats gonna happen when I trembling like crazy from the ice pick he just shoved in my back. Now eight months later my back is getting worse and worse and my doctor doesn't seem to believe me , when I wake up in the morning I can't hardly move and I am slightly hunched over, also my lower back is clicking and popping and by the end of my day doing the mommy thing and running around after 2 crazy but totally cute kids my whole spine is burning starting from the epidural injection spot... area... sight... well you get the idea. does anyone else have the same thing???? please help me feel like I'm not the only one with all these problems. My doc wont believe me!!!! :'(
Oh yeah and they are saying that I have scoliosis ..... a slight curve in my spine ... what the hell is going on??

I am now only 25. I had my 1st and only child 5 years ago. Just THIS WEEK I started noticing a sharp seering pain shooting up my spine! The pain reminded me SO MUCH of the pain I experienced only ONE other time in my life that was anything like it-when they gave me the epidural shot! It was SOOO similar to that pain! YES the epidural works, you don't feel ANY of the pain during childbirth, until the shot wears off and they have to add more, but the WORST pain I experienced during the entire delivery was when they stuck the needle in my back and I swear I could feel the epidural medicine, the liquid, sliding down my spine. THAT is what the pain reminded me of. It comes and goes, but it is debilitating. Thankfully it doesn't last longer than a few seconds or a minute for me at this point, but my heart and soul tell me it IS linked to the epidural. It's not just a back pain, it's a SPINE pain. You have to make the decision for yourself, I wanted to have a natural birth as my mom and my husband's mom had us, but since they gave me a drug to induce labor, it increased the pain of the contractions that I hadn't felt until they gave me the medicine, and I am glad I chose the epidural. I just hope the pain never gets worse. Good luck!

I agree with GesykaE85 with the Spine pain, i had my first child when i was 19 years old, i am now 47 years old i had the epidural with my first and second child, after having it with my first child i was to young to put two and two together, but the spine pain was incredibe i couldnt run for a bus id be brought to a stand still with severe pain running up my spine the pain is so hard to describe, yes i got back pain to but id rather have just the back pain than this spine pain, the spine pain i felt realy bad when i was pregnant with my third child and fourth i didnt have epidural with my last 2 children, but while i was pregnant with the i was brought to my knees and i am not exaggerating one bit, the spine pain starts of small going up your back reaching a peak of extreme pain which you cant even breath and i fell to my knees, sadly i still get this pain when i sit down, in fact i came online today to see if there was a connection but to be honest i dont need to be told i know the epidural caused my back to be damaged, its like your spine being sliced with a knife thats the only description i can give, some woman will be lucky and end up with just back pain others will have severe problems, and the hospitals and doctors will not admit that it has to do with epidural in fear of them getting their butts sued. i cant tell people not to have epidural as it is up to them but id advise against its just not work it, 28 years iv had severe spine problem and i guess il have it for the rest of my life.

I had an epidural when I was in labor with my daughter. She is now fourteen months old and I still have back problems where I received the epidural. The doctors had to stick me five different times because they didn't get it in right. If I could go back I would have had her naturally.