For past 6 months I have been experiencing pain in my neck. Now I feel like the pain is increasing every day and spreading to my whole spine. I am 21 and never had problems like this before. I have an appointment with my doctor next week but I would like to know more about the cervical nerves. What is the treatment for neck and spine pain? Thanks

Spinal nerves can become inflamed from irritation of a damaged disc or from contact with a bone spur. Depending on which part of the spine the inflamed nerves are located in, pain and other symptoms can be experienced in different areas of the body. Symptoms of nerve irritation in cervical spine are neck, shoulder and arm pain or numbness, nerve irritation in thoracic spine- upper back pain, pain along the ribs and sometimes in the abdomen, and irritation in lumbar spine- lower back pain, hip and leg pain or numbness. The nerve roots in the spine are covered with a membrane called the dura. There is a space like sleeve around the dura and it is called the epidural space. Before nerves can travel from the spine into the arms, chest, and legs, first they travel through the epidural space. They exit the epidural space through small nerve holes. Source of the pain in the spine is usually irritation of the nerves and this condition is treated with an epidural steroid injection. An epidural injection delivers steroids in the epidural space and it significantly reduces pain. However, it is important to know that epidural injection is not cure for back or leg pain. The goal with patients experiencing these problems is to help them get enough pain relief so that they can progress in rehabilitation process.