Hi, I'm 33 years old and I have been diagnosed with epilepsy 10 years ago. Ever since I have been diagnosed I have tried many medications to help me control my seizures. My doctor was very good at his job and most of the meds he gave me so far have had a great effect on the disease. Recently he recommended that I should switch to clomazepam, a good antiepileptic drug to control my seizures. I'm planning to get pregnant in the near future could you tell me about side effects of clomazepam and its effect on the pregnancy?

Clomazepam or Kloponin as it is also known under another brand name is a very effective anticonvulsive medication that is mostly used to treat convulsions caused by epileptic seizures or grand mal. It belongs to the family of drugs called benzodiazepines, most famous of these medications is diazepam, used as a tranquilizer. Clomazepam has a stimulating effect on the release of the gama aminobuteric acid, a powerful neurotransmitter in the brain which is used to inhibit neural impulses from being transmitted, thus controlling the activity of the brain. In epilepsy this GABA system is damaged which causes epileptic seizures. Long term usage of this medicine can cause addiction and sudden interruption in treatment can cause withdrawal symptoms. It is known to cause fetal abnormalities and anomalies so it is not recommended to take it during pregnancy. However if it is used to treat grand mal and if it is the only way of treatment it shouldn’t be discontinued even if the woman is pregnant. If you’re considering of becoming pregnant and do start taking this medication you should talk to your doctor about possible alternative treatments.