I did not know that I was pregnant and I was taking adderall until about my 5th or 6th week. My doctor told me that very early in the pregnancy, the risk to the baby is low but I have read that around 6-10 weeks the risk posed by prescription drugs is higher because the fetus is developing so rapidly. I am very worried about what effects the adderall may have had on my baby during the 5th and 6th week and I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere I look. Does anyone have any information either on adderall itself or about a web site that can give a timetable for risk during pregnancy?

Hi, I don't have any information but Im in exactly the same boat. I have been prescribed adderall for a few years now and stopped taking it as soon as I found out I was pregnant, which was unexpected, when I was 5 weeks into the pregnancy. Please, if there is anyone who can tell me what risks I have put my baby under? Or is everything going to be ok?

I also partied a little (nothing crazy, 4-5 drinks, brandy and coke, always, a couple of times) in the first 5 weeks but everything I've read about that indicates that it's a common worry for many mothers and that the baby isn't going to be harmed by a a little partying done very early on in the pregnancy so Im hoping its the same thing with the adderall.

i'd be curious to read the answer. i also took adderall during my first 2 weeks of pregnancy - between conception and first missed period - but only twice, and 20 mg each time. i'm guessing the risk is minimal, but i'm still worried...

I was perscribed addral and found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks, stopped taking addaral. At my ultrasound today, the doctor said everything looked great. brain is developing well, no physical defects, and heartbeat was great. So yea..that comforted me a little.

how do you currently deal with those symptoms that adderall treated pre-pregnancy?

I used Adderall XL 20mg for several weeks prior to finding out I was pregnant, 5 or 6 weeks.
My son is 17 mos old and perfectly fine. I was concerned about what kind of side effects he'd have, but there was nothing. Granted, who knows what lies underneath, but we'll see as he grows older.

just a note to say that I've made it to the 8th month and so far everything looks normal. No heart defects have been uncovered, and from what i understand that is the main concern with taking adderall in early pregnancy (research on amphetamines in animals found cardiac defects). but i only took 20 mg twice, within the first 2 weeks of pregnancy... i've moved on to a whole new thing to worry about now as i now have gestational diabetes :-(

Just wanted to post about that - i was checking back to see if there were any developments here. All the best to everyone.

i was taking adderall for about 6 years and just recently within the last 3 weeks found out that i was pregnant only to find out a week later i was bedridden due to threatened miscarriage and a week later miscarried....to default my emotions onto something more productive, i looked up my medication adderall as well as cigarette smoking and being that it was my first pregnancy and blah blah in other words ive researched everything to figure out the cause of losing my baby...cigarette smoking and adderall came up with some info when i googled it. adderall like other appetite suppresants (caffiene, diet pills, other add/adhd meds, etc) may infact have some effects on the baby. it is important that you talk to your doctor and for future reference i will take my own advice and research my meds before having unprotected sex...this is thus far the hardest loss...keep ur heads up though and stay hand in hand with your doctors there are plenty of healthy adderall mothered babies lol!!

I am a nurse in Womens health and I also take adderall. When taking the prescribed dosage adderall will slowly start to raise your blood pressure. Make sure you keep an eye on the blood pressure, and make sure you tell your doctor if you have ever taken more than the prescribed dosage. You will eventually develop a tolerance for it, trust me I know the drill! Make sure you are honest with your physician so he knows what's going on with your vessels. Most of the problems that come from adderall usage are from blood pressure problems.

I am now 24 weeks pregnant, was talking 20mg of adderall twice a day as prescribed by my doctor for a year. i continued to take it for 5 or 6 weeks not knowing i was pregnant && i've had 2 ultrasounds so far... doctors say everything looks fine, i guess we'll see when the baby is born!

i took 10mg everyday while pregnant and my son came out very healthy big boy.

i have been taking adderall for over 11 years. i was still taking it (and went out a few times - drinks only) til i found out i was pregnant at 10 weeks. i am now 32 weeks and everything is totally normal. brain development, spinal cord, growth, AND she's about the most active baby i could ever imagine. unless your doctor tells you that something looks off, i honestly wouldn't worry. my doctor told me early on that there are no hard, larger studies that show serious damage, but that they tell women to stop taking it as a precaution. to the ppl who wonder how to deal with the pre-pregnancy need for adderall: tough it out. like i said, i'd been on it for 11 years. im not just a casual user, it was every day. but i work in a hospital with patients every day and i've managed alright (with lots of sticky notes & lists!).

just so everybody knows my friend is on two 20 mg adderall a day and when pregnant her dr told her take it when you need it and don't take more than you need. Just to remember anything raising your heartbeat will also raise the babies. That's for the whole duration of her pregnancy and her kids are fine. To those of you who took one or two before you found out, come on now, lighten up.

I'm currently pregnant with my first baby. I did drink a bit and was taking Adderall for the first 4 weeks (until I missed a period and took a test).
Drinking I'm worried about, Adderall I'm more confused about. This is one of the most helpful forums I've seen - there isn't much on the web about Adderall and pregnancy. I know most doctor's will tell you not to take anything of course, it's safer for you, the baby, and their liability insurance.
However, I'm really really struggling off Adderall. I work as a medical IT sales rep, and I usually take 30mgs a day, and since I found out I was pregnant I've stopped... I know some of this is being pregnant, but I'm easily frustrated, lose my train of thought or forget what I was doing, lose focus very easily (for example, being on this forum right now!) and can't keep up with anything at work or at home.
I know there has to be a balance between your baby's health and your sanity during pregnancy, I'm seeing a (new) OB next week, but has anyone taken Adderall throughout their pregnancy or known anyone who has? I'm worried about losing my job by the time I have my baby at this point.on

Dear Ladies - my heart goes out to all of you; I know how hard this is. I would like to preface my story by stating that there is no evidence (other than a mother's guilt) to suggest a link between my situation and Adderall. My 'surprise' pregnancy came following a summer filled with weddings and parties and after my Dr. increased my Adderall prescription to 30mg twice daily. My husband and I found out that I was pregnant right around my sixth week. This means that my during the most critical stages of our baby's development, I was overworking myself at a high-stress job, drinking every weekend and taking my medication religiously. We lost our baby boy during my 18th week, shortly after we began fetal treatment for a condition called PUV (posterior urethral valves). Basically, the baby could not urinate. This created a snowball effect, harming his bladder, kidneys and because of a lack of amniotic fluid in the placenta, his lungs. The thing that breaks my heart is that PUV develops during your fifth or sixth week of pregnancy. It has been over three months since I lost our baby and I am still scouring for information to prove or disprove my involvement in our baby's death. It is a travesty that there is so little information out there on the subject of Adderall during pregnancy. Until now, I have held back posting my story on sites such as these because everyone is different and I didn't want to scare anyone. Despite my overwhelming case of coulda, woulda, shoulda, my biggest regret was not staying more positive and seizing the precious little time I had with our baby. Trust your instincts & keep your chins up!