I have a friend who put a lot weight during her pregnancy. When we talk, she told me her appetite was extremely increased and she has to eat more then she used to before. However, now when I am pregnant I realized there must be something wrong with me. I do not have appetite and I am worried. Can anyone tell me if that is normal or pregnancy should lead to higher appetite?

My advice for you is to eat, while you still have the chance. I have to tell you that being pregnant is one of the only times in a women's life that she is encouraged to pack on the calories. That is why I would give you an advice to eat a lot, as long as they are not just empty calories. You should not worry about your weight right now, just worry about making sure your baby gets all the nutrients he/she needs. Important is to remember that women who are already overweight should actually only gain 5-15 lbs. This is because smaller women do not have enough fat stored up for the pregnancy, so they are recommended to gain more. I could tell you when I was in 19 weeks of my pregnancy; I am finding that I do not feel hungry as I did before pregnancy. I found it helpful to take a few minutes and then try a few more bites. Interestingly, I am now thirstier and able to consume a lot more liquids than pre-pregnancy and I suddenly love big glasses of milk. However, when I was in 8th month, things were a little different. I have a hearty appetite again, so I guess that is going to happen with you too. Usually, pregnancy leads to higher appetite, but if you feel different now do not worries I am sure this will change.

The reply I just read on this website is, in my opinion plain wrong. Yes, you should eat healthy foods and take prenatal vitamins. But you should not feel free to eat as much as you feel like if you have increased hunger. Pregnancy only requires 200-300 more calories per day. Don't overdo it or you will be putting your and your babys health at risk. Additionally, women should only gain about 25 lbs, less if you are overweight and a little more if you are underweight.