My girlfriend has epilepsy and she noticed an increase in seizure activity a few days before and/or during her menstrual cycle. Her gyn says that hormones have a lot to do with it. He suggested either a hystertomy or monthly depo provera shots. She is very nervous because of this and I don’t know how to help her. Have anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I sure have. I thought it was all in my head, quite often a few days before I start I tend to get 'brain farts', the auras et al. There are days that it even goes so far as the nausea, sweating and dizziness. I have epilepsy for years and my boyfriend never paid much attention on my condition. You are good guy because you worry for you girlfriend’s health.

Oh, Yeah!

I would have really nasty seizures about a day before my period started (at around age 12). It took me about ten years to notice the correlation. But, then I got into weight lifting & triathlons and my seizures disappeared. Now that I'm married, I've come to notice that I'll have seizures during sex. Also, my seizures get worse when my blood sugar drops. There are a lot of other times that I seize. But, the aforementioned examples tell me that a lot of my seizures are hormone related. It's a common thing among many women with E to have catamenial seizeres.
I have an awesome husband though. My family growing up was ashamed of my E. My husband lets them take their course, and then we just carry on with whatever we were doing. Do the same thing for your loved one. It's so helpful to know that my seizures aren't his focus, but just a small part of the big picture.

I've always had seizures linked to my menstrual cycle for 19 years- this year I tried magnesium as a menstrual aid and my seizures disappeared