Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the symptoms and the causes of elevated Creatinine Kinase.

All that I know is that this Creatinine Kinase is an enzyme and that it has something to do with the muscles. I think that my brother is having elevated levels of creatinine kinase, but he is too afraid to go to the doctor so he asked me to post my question here in order to find out what are the symptoms and causes of elevated creatinine kinase. I hope that some of you know something about this matter and that you can help us out.

Increased CK is predominantly used to diagnose neuromuscular diseases and acute myocardial infarction. Neuromuscular disorders include myopathies, muscular dystrophy, rhabdomyolysis, drug-induced myopathies, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, malignant hyperthermia, and periodic paralyses.

CK can also be elevated in the absence of neuromuscular diseases or cardiac injury, such as after strenuous exercise, intramuscular injection, and with renal disease.

Because the major source of CK-MB is myocardium, an elevated CK-MB level reflects myocardial injury, including acute myocardial infarction, myocarditis, cardiac trauma, cardiac surgery, and endomyocardial biopsy. However, CK-MB makes up 5-7% of CK in skeletal muscle. Therefore, skeletal muscle injury can sometimes cause elevated CK-MB levels, leading to misinterpretation.

Hey Alan,

There are some quite obvious signs that the person is having elevated creatinine kinase. These signs include muscle weakness, muscle aches, and dark urine. The urine may be dark because of the presence of myoglobin, another substance released by damaged muscles that can be harmful to the kidneys. A creatine kinase (CK) test may be used to detect inflammation of muscles (myositis) or serious muscle damage and/or to diagnose rhabdomyolysis. A urine myoglobin may also be ordered.

I'd suggest that you take him to the doctor or that he takes himself to the doctor and see what this is all about.

Hey Alan,

I'd suggest that he visits his doctor as well. You guys don't seem like you can do much about it, I'm actually pretty sure that you can't and that your brother should go and see his doctor. There, his doctor will do some tests, probably the one that Adria wrote about above and he will determine how elevated are your brother's creatinine kinase levels. When he determines that, he is going to set a proper treatment for him which is really important, if his condition is getting serious.

It would be really smart of you to take him to his doctor.

Hey everyone,

I showed him what you guys wrote and now he is indecisive regarding if he has elevated creatinine kinase or not. He is acting like a kiddo and he is 22 years old.

I can't take him to the doctor. He is 22 and he is so stubborn, like the most stubborn person I've ever met and if he says no doctor, then it's no doctor. Is there anything that I can do for him, can you tell me about the treatment option so that the two of us can try to treat this at home? Please help me out with this.

Hello there guys.

Serum creatine kinase levels (CK) can vary among healthy subjects, even when correcting for muscle mass. Age, gender, race, and physical activity can affect CK as well, just like this is a case in any other disease. CK is higher among black males, as well as newborns.  Symptoms are:

• Chest pain or pressure in your chest,
  • You have problems and Difficulty breathing
  • Lightheadedness or dizziness
  • Pain that radiates to the jaw or down the arm
  • Profuse sweating
  • Rapid heart rate (tachycardia).

It is important to ask your doctor about this and inform him if you notice some of those symptoms, 

Good day folks.

High creatinine kinase levels are the indicators that something is not OK and that your muscles are damages as well. Creatine kinase, or CK shortly , is actually a type of enzyme found within your muscles. It aids in the production of phosphocreatine, a molecule utilized by your muscles for energy. Injury to the membrane surrounding muscle cells allows CK to leak into the bloodstream and that is something that my doctor explained me so well.  He also mentioned me that some studies suggest that amino acids may ameliorate elevation of CK levels after exercise. Good luck. 

Hello folks!

There is some rare serum that can help you in this. I am not sure how those serums are helpful, but I found some site where I found really positive comments about it. Doctor can help you determine the main cause of it. Actually, the doctor also wants to determine whether the patient’s weakness results from a problem in the muscles themselves or in the nerves that control them. Sometimes it can be complicated because problems with muscle-controlling nerves, or motor nerves, originating in the spinal cord and reaching out to all the muscles, can cause weakness that looks like a muscle problem but really isn’t.