Hello everyone. Apparently my sister's boyfriend needs to do some creatinine kinase test (I hope that I wrote it correct, because she told me this while we were talking and since I haven't heard about this, maybe I did make a mistake). Well, I know that he is rugby player and maybe because of it he needs to check his heart condition - I don't know. Do you guys even know what can Creatinine Kinase test is and what he can determine? If you had experience or you know someone who had experience with it, let me know.

Tnx in advance, 

Hello everyone.

Maybe this is just a routine test that rugby players need to have. But this test is very helpful. This Creatinine kinease test measures the amount of an enzyme called creatine kinase that is in your blood. CK is actually a type of protein and the muscle cells in your body need CK to function. Levels of CK can rise after a heart attack, skeletal muscle injury, strenuous exercise, or drinking too much alcohol, and from taking certain medicines or supplements. Once you do this test, it shows that your CK levels are high, you may have muscle or heart damage. CK is made up of three enzyme forms but the doctor can explain you more about this.

Hi there. I am sure that he was measuring those levels once and that they were a little bit higher but doctors told him that they keep it under the control. Now I think that this is again some routine control, but my sister told me that she is really scared because if doctors find out that those levels are a little bit higher than before, than in the last measurement, he will use some therapy to treat this. She is scared because she is aware that once when you start with therapy, you need to continue with it until the rest of the life...

Hey Aurora,

My uncle did this test a couple of days ago. It is used to determine if your muscles suffered any damage or if they are in danger of suffering any damage, at least I think that's it. 

A high CK, or a rise in levels in subsequent samples, generally indicates that there has been some recent muscle damage but will not indicate its location or cause. Serial test results that peak and then begin to drop indicate that new muscle damage has diminished, while increasing and persistent elevations suggest continued damage.

I asked my uncle, this is what he told me about the test.

Hi Aurora,

Let's see now, increased CK may be seen with, for example, recent crush and compression muscle injuries, trauma, burns, and electrocution, Inherited myopathies, such as muscular dystrophy, hormonal (endocrine) disorders, such as thyroid disorders, Addison disease or Cushing disease, strenuous exercise, prolonged surgeries, seizures, infections – viral (such as influenza and HIV), bacterial, fungal, and parasitic (such as malaria), connective tissue disorders (e.g. lupus, rheumatoid arthritis), celiac disease, renal failure, in critically ill patients, high fever accompanied by shivering, a blood clot (thrombosis) blocking the flow of blood, or any drug or toxin that interferes with muscle energy production or increases energy requirements.

This is quite a useful test actually, and carries zero risk with it. It is usually ordered when muscle damage is suspected and at regular intervals to monitor for continued damage. It may be ordered when a muscle disease (myopathy) such as muscular dystrophy is suspected or when someone has experienced physical trauma, such as crushing injuries or extensive burns. The test may be ordered when a person has symptoms associated with muscle injury such as:

- Muscle pain or aches
- Muscle weakness
- Dark urine (The urine may be dark because of the presence of myoglobin, another substance released by damaged muscles that can be harmful to the kidneys.)

Hey Aurora,

It would be kind of normal for your sister's boyfriend to have elevated CK levels since he is a rugby player. They have very rough exercises which affect their muscles pretty strongly, therefore, his creatinine kinase test could show an elevated CK without it meaning that there is something wrong with his muscles.

I don't think either that his CK will be higher than the last time. It will probably be the same or a bit lower since I don't think that he has any problems with his muscles, it is just that rugby thing, like I said, it is very hard on the muscles.

Hi there.

I have done this test a couple of months ago and it is nothing that difficult, so you should not really worry too much. There are several ways why your doctor recommended this test. For example, person may need this test if you have chest pain or weakness and your doctor needs to find out if you've had a heart attack. Your doctor may also order this test if you have had a stroke or sports injury. But because levels of this protein may not peak for up to 2 days after certain injuries, you may need this test several times to see if your heart or other muscles have been damaged.