I am about to be married. In my fiancés family there is a history of hereditary inclusion body myopathy. I would like to learn something about this. What kind of disease is this? Should I be worried for my future kids? Will my husband have some health problems when he becomes older?

Hereditary inclusion body myopathy is the most common of inflammatory myopathies. It usually affects persons older than 50 years. There are several symptoms such as weakness, falls, dysphasia. Disease progression is slow but steady, and most patients requires assistive device. According to this your husband and your children will be good until they get old.

I have inclusion body myopathy and the message above is not accurate for me and my family members with the same disease. This disease is sometimes confused with inclusion body myositis, which fits ganny's response. IBM typically presents in 20's or 30's and most are in a wheelchair within 15 - 20 years.