I am a mother of a 9 year old boy. My son was on a field trip one week ago and ever since then he had fever and headache. Normally, I took him to doctor and he told me that my son has Lymes disease. I am very scared for him so can somone tell me more about this disease?

Lyme disease is an infection that derives from tick bite. It is also known as borrelia or borreliosis. The disease has a variety of symptoms, including changes affecting the skin, heart, joints and nervous system, unexplained hair loss, headache, mild or severe pressure in head, twitching of facial or other muscles, etc. Lyme disease is caused by an infection from a micro-organism (Borrelia burghdor feri), a blood-sucking parasite which normally lives on deer. If it is left untreated, Lymes disease can cause inflammation of the heart tissues, along with arrhythmia and in severe cases a heart failure. In rare cases, the disease may become chronic. About 15% of people with borrelia develop so-called neuro borrelia. It can slowly develope destruction of the nervous system, numbing, partial hearing impairment. Sometimes it can lead to the development of dementia. This little parasite infected your son and that is why he had fever and headache, the most common symptoms of this disease. Medicines used against Lymes disease are usually oral antibiotics like amoxicillin or cephalosporin, doxycycline (except in children).