I'm still learning how to use this website.  I had emailed everyone, but am trying it this way to give a general message to see if this works.

I was on effexor for 12 years.  I was able to get off of it by removing 1 bead a day and also got help from a natural dr. who have given me natural products for depression and anxiety.   I have had no side effects since getting off of it.

We are forming a class action suit for anyone interested....

We must get this drug off the market.  So many of us has suffered because of it.  So, that is why we are doing this.

Terry P

I am in shock that I was never told of the risk of having to stay on Effexor or side effects related with attempts to wean off the Effexor. I have been on Effexor 150 for10 years and no doctor tried to explain any risks of staying on it or the extreme difficulty getting off the drug.  I went on Zyban to try to quit smoking, had an allergy reaction to it (extreme dif breathing). I could not get a perscription filled for Effexor and could not take Zyban, so I went off both cold turkey.  I went to my doctor 3 days later because my pharmacist req I not go off Effexor without the assistance of a doctor, which concerned me. I had the dizziness full throttle but nothing else. She said I may experience worse side effects, (this is not the doc who started me on Effexor) like vision problems. I filled the perscription for 75 but cont to quit cold turkey. Bad decision. Brain shocks and night terrors began. I took gravol and was grateful I didnt have to work right now. My husband noticed mood swings and asked me what was going on. I explained and tried to continue with cold turkey off Effexor because I already made it through my first week and the pharmacist advised that I should feel much better after the second week. At this point I was sleeping with the light on at night, popping gravel and brain shocks started driving me insane. This morning I got up feeling great but by noon I could not think anymore, I felt like throwing up and started crying out of frustration. I had not cried in years thanks to the Effexor yet this morning the depression I began this drug for came sinking in deep. My mother called me at that moment and I couldnt stop crying. I told her I was going to the doc office again. I decided for no reason out of the blue that I should just disappear or drive into a pole. At this time I remembered my doc giving me Effexor 75 just in case side effects increased. 
I took the Effexor 75  instead of driving to the doc office since I could not drive or stop crying.
Thank God I found this Effexor site after 3 days of cold turkey and thank God my doctor made me keep Effexor 75 at home.
This drug is dangerous and should not be legal.

Hows that class action suit going?

I am Jessie. AFter the death of my husband in 2002, my job sent me to a physciarist (?) for help. the doctor put me on Effexxor 150mg twice daily. He kept increasing it until I could not remember anything, would not go to work, Did not take care of my personal business...I ended up losing my job (they did give me retirement tho - Civil Service), my home and everything else I had...The effexxor just made me sleep all the time, not care about any of my responsibilities, and my memory has never recovered completely but it is much better. Do you think I might be able to get in on this law suit.????

My name is Kimberlee I would love to join the lawsuit I still have "brain shivers" I weaned myself off the drug and have been totally off for several weeks and still have this problem.

I am Jessie. I lost my job with civil service in 2004 due to memory problems and actually not caring about what was happening to me - slept all the time - wouldn't take showers & take care of myself - wouldn't pay my bills - wouldn't go to work - just wanted to be left alone & sleep. I could not remember anything but basic things, ie, my name and address. Memory has improved some but still have alot of problems with it. This was treatment for depression after my husband passed on late 2002. Lost job, home, everything...

Hi Jessie,

Are you still taking Effexor? Tell me more. I can tell you how I got off of it. What city do you live in? Do you want to join the class action suit? I can send your information to Michael Fearon, who is trying to form one. We have all been so damaged by this drug. I, too, tried to get a part time job recently, but could not remember the things I was being trained on and they let me go after only 3 days. My short term memory has been really damaged too. I am sorry what you are going through. Tell me more about the effexor....are you still taking it or are you off of it, etc? Thanks, Terry P

Well, I just spent over an hour writting you a book about this but as I wasn't logged in (memory problem) I guess I lost it all. First of all, I live in Arkansas, out in the country per say. I am a country girl and love to try to work on my own vehicles, appliances, etc or fix whatever needs fixing and I go fishing a whole lot. And, YES, I would love to be included in this class action suit if I qualify. As I told you earlier, Effexor really put a hurting on me. I was working as a resource manager / budget analyst for Little Rock Air Force Base over one of the four groups out there. I had several organizations under me and I worked with their financial people helping to train them, watching to ensure their funding was spent properly, taking care of requesting additional funding, etc., as well as doing all the financial business for my organization, Communications. I reported to my group commander for all the organizations and went to all the financial meetings with the high powers of the base....alot involved and a super demanding job. I wasn't bouncing back as quickly as they really needed me to after the husbands death and the base sent me to a shrink for help. Hello, Effexor...maxed out on it within two meetings. And it took me down big time. I filled you in on part of it before but it really did a number on me. When the base asked the shrink just when I would be able to kick back in and work like I used to, he sent them a letter and told them that that would NEVER happen. I was a bad mess and it just kept getting worse. Anyways, the base could have fired me and I really expected them to. But due to my work history and standards in the past, they early retired me and I am getting a good portion of my monthly retirement pay -- THANK THE LORD. As soon as I knew I would be leaving one way or the other I started weening myself off the EFFEXOR and was totally off of it within two weeks. That was February of 2004. I tried to straighten myself up to where I could think and function properly so I could try to keep my house and straighten out other things that I had just blew off, but nothing ever would work and I couldn't think right and I slept all the time...anyways, I managed to get things caught up and up to date on my place by May of 2004, but the mortgage company was determined to foreclose on me (Countrywide) even though it was all caught up and they did. I did continue to try to fight them but nothing was going to work and it went on the auction block in October 0f 2005..To my total amazement, it sold for much more than what I owed -- to Countrywide -- don't know why they did that but they did, Then instead of them paying me the difference as they should have, I was sued 3 different times by them wanting to reverse the sale and make me obligated for the balance which I rebuffed each time. They harassed me all these years till earlier this spring when the attorney general helped me put a stop to it. But I have also had a heart attack (Nov 2007)and did die -- they got me back and I have gone through 2 surgeries so far. Then in Nov of 2008, I spent 13 days in ICU with them trying to save my life from kidney failure due to be over medicated with script drugs. I am not saying Effexor is responsible for it all, but I did not have medical problems before I had to take that and it really put a hurting on me. I lost my oldest son in 1996 at 21 and I managed to deal with that and go back to work and handle life just fine. The effexor just really put a whipping on me so bad that it has just almost killed me. Any stress at all and I am back in bed not wanting to ever get up, eat, clean up, go anywhere...and I seem to get every illness in the book since then. I don't want anyone else to have to take that stuff when all it is going to do is hurt them And honestly, if we can get some compensation for memory loss or just what all we have been through just because of taking their drug, it would be heaven sent. thank you...and I have my fingers crossed on this. Please keep me informed and again, thank you. Gotta read all my notes and see what I have to do today....that sucks sooooo bad!!!!

Hi Jessie,

You have every right to sue Effexor. You have been put through the mill. I, too, find my memory loss has been the worst. I could never do another data entry job because of learning a new system....whereas I was always very good at doing it before. I am going to send your letter to Michael Fearon in case he hasn't seen it on this site. We are hoping he can get a lawyer to take the case. We have heard from so many people who deserve compensation from this company. Do you know of any naturopathic doctors in your area to give you natural things for depression/anxiety. I have one who really helped me. If you don't she does phone consultations. Dr. Valarie Nelson from McMurray, PA....if you want to check out her website. She has saved my life. Don't give up....you can some natural things to help you. Terry P

Yes we do have a doc like that about 30 miles from me and I have already been too him. I have done a lot of reading on it all too and he basically lets me know if I have figured it out or not. I really try to keep my brain as active as I can -- afraid it will just quit and I don't wanta live like that. Please do stay in touch and I just want to thank you for getting all this together and rolling...I didn't have the foggest (no pun intended) on what to do. Thank you so very, very much!!! I am glad you are pulling out of it...I swear I really think they tried to make zombies out of us

JBJenson wrote:

I have been off of it successfully for about 5 months now. I don't have to use the remedies (for anxiety&depression) all the time...just when I am having a bad day. I am so relieved to be off of it. But of course my short term memory is gone. Keeping the brain active is really a good idea. I am hoping that Michael can find a lawyer who would be willing to fight this. I am glad you have a natural dr. to help you. They are the only ones who are willing to try to do something. Keep doing what the doc. tells you. It really helps. It's just too bad we had to go through all of this. If I had known a natural dr. at the time, I would have never gotten on this awful drug.
Keep in touch,
Terry P

May ALL your days be good ones from now on lady bug....!!!!

JBJenson wrote:

Same to you Jessie

terryann wrote:

We are forming a class action suit for anyone interested....we need your full name and where you live.

Terry P

I am 60 yrs. old and have been on effexor for about 5 to 7 years. I just began the weaning process. I have experienced everything that have been posted. Night sweats, nausea, crying, body sore and tender, insomnia, facial shimmers or spasms. I have had all that i have read in other blogs. I am so pleased to know that other are experiencing this. However I don't wish this on anyone else. I thought I was alone. I wasnt told that weaning off this medication would cause such sickness. It have been approximately (1) month since i started to wean off and everyday has been horrific. I was almost at the point of telling the doctor just leave me on it. But ofter reading all these blogs I dont want this to happen to anyone else.

Sorry you have also been through difficulties on this med. I was able to wean off by removing 1 more bead each day. I also had the help of a natural dr. who helped me a lot. If you want more information, let me know. If you want to join the class action suit, we need your full name and city and state. Michael Fearon is trying to organize one...we are hoping a lawyer will take it. Terry P.

I am interested but do not wish to make my story public...