:( I am experiencing HORRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS from Effexor withdrawl. Does anyone know if there is currently a lawsuit that I could join, or if not. please contact me and let me know if you would like to join.

jacaston

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

please let me know if you find a legitimate lawsuit against this drug. I am permanently disabled because of it. I'm afraid there's a statute of limitations that may have run out. Can't seem to find help with this or to find a legit suit to join.

I do not understand how this drug continues to be used in high regard. People are apparently upset about the withdrawal symptoms but no one seems to get anywhere with a lawsuit. If the withdrawals can last over a year and are so severe, how can the drug not cause any further damage. I do not buy into it being non-addictive either. Please let me know if a lawsuit is found. I am appalled that there is not one already. I do not understand how these symptoms only affected a percentage of individuals in a study for the FDA but every person I know that has been on Effexor XR has experienced this stuff.

Look up 'brainshivers'....they are what people have started calling the withdrawal symptoms from barbituates. A lot of doctors don't or won't recognize that there can be real, physical effects from antidepressants. I was on Effexor, Lamictal and Klonopin all for about 4 years....switched doctors and found out that Klonopin is a 'short-term' mood stabilizer...great! She decided to ween me off of each of these drugs one at a time and then see what was needed (I have Bipolar Disorder and deep anxiety...I now have my medical marijuana card and have no need for antidepressants in the slightest...and like anything, it may not work the same for everyone, possibly even the opposite effect could occur). The first time I ever experienced what I now know to be the 'brainshivers' was the first day I stopped taking the Lamictal---everytime I'd move my eyes, head, tongue...shoot, my whole body....I'd get this electric shock sort of feeling, almost pulsating. I'd get spacey feeling and unable to really put thoughts and words together. Can't tell you how long it lasts or even what to do about it and it never really seems to completely go away...don't get me wrong, I don't have them anymore really, but eeeeevery once in a while. Definitely talk to your doctor about the symptoms you're having. I told mine and she had never heard of such a thing so I had her pull it up on the internet, she started reading and reading....next thing I know she's asking other patients if they'd ever experienced such feelings and turns out she only had a handful that didn't know what she was talking about!! I cried when I found out about it, truthfully, because I didn't know why or what was going on and my doctors were calling me crazy....to know it's actually very common is almost as comforting as if there was a 'cure'. Good luck to you and hang in there, it does get better!!

The "brain shivers" I think is vertigo. I also expereience that when even forgetting one day to take my "pill"

I am also interested in a class action suit. I don't understand how there hasn't already been one since this drug is one of the hardest to get off of.

Terry

looking for help also. please let me know any info you have found, a way to contact you and/or appropriate sources. thx

Please include me, this stuff has ruined my life. I know that sounds dramtic but my chemical make-up seems to have been altered. I've been trying to get of this stuff for over 10 years. Shaking, trembling, sweating, daily panic attacks, vivid dreams and sleeplessness. It's hell, I can't belive there is no recourse at this point. Please let me know how this goes and how I can get involved

Jeff, your post does not sound dramatic to me at all. Effexor also ruined my life and altered my chemical makeup, no doubt about it. There is abundant and very solid scientific research now showing that it can do exactly that. I share the frustration and anger of all the previous posters on this and other sites that Effexor continues to be prescribed as if it is safe, even though it has been proven that Wyeth covered up the risk of just the types of damage we are all struggling with. The FDA merely gave them a slap on the wrist while allowing them to continue profiting HUGELY from this poison.

If anyone has any luck with a class action lawsuit, I DEFINITELY want to be a part of it. I pursued it for years, and the only lawyer (one located in Texas) who gave who gave me any real response said she had heard from THOUSANDS of people struggling with debilitating effects from Effexor withdrawal and sincerely regretted that she could not take on our case because her firm was already in the midst of a very costly class action suit against Paxil's manufacturer.

For the record, there has been a successful class action suit brought against Wyeth on behalf of Effexor "victims" in England. Most doctors and lawyers here in the States do not want to stick their necks out and get involved. I have even sought help from some psychiatrists to deal with this Effexor damage and been asked up front if I am planning any legal action! If so, they made it clear they would not treat me.

This situation represents a horrible betrayal by doctors who took an oath to “first do no harm” and by the FDA who is paid with our tax dollars to act in the best interests of the public…NOT the pharmaceutical industries. This is not likely as long as many FDA reps have ties to (even former jobs with) big pharma and their powerful lobbyists.

One resource that might help you is a web site called survivingantidepressants.org. It is run by a woman who calls herself “Altostrata” who has struggled with the aftermath of Effexor withdrawal for many years. It is an excellent site with an abundance of good information.

My best wishes to you and all of us who have been forced to make this very painful journey. It angers and saddens me greatly that nine years into my ongoing struggle with this hell, nothing has changed and Effexor continues to ruin lives.

It is disgusting that no one will take this case. That's how it is with the Pharm. industry....they just don't care about anything except the money.

It is shocking that Wyeth only gave them a slap on the wrist...shows real humanity, doesn't it! I am going to go on the website survivingantidepressants.org. We should all go on there. Wonder if that lawyer in England woul be interested in us in the U.S. and Canada.

If you find out anymore, let me know.

Terry P

Hello all,I am very serious about starting a class action against the manufacturers of Efexor. I live in Australia and wish to unite as many people as possible to take on the pharmaceutical company responsible.I noticed many threads from overseas but the Australian Efexor threads have not been updated for a while and people seem to be posting everywhere.If it is possible to have Australians post on this thread in addition to another called "Australian Class Action Against Efexor", I believe we can all share our stories in the one place and have a better chance of uniting each other in this cause.I am currently searching for a Law firm and Lawyer who is skilled and experienced in these matters. From my attempts so far, there are a couple who are willing to look into it but they stated that a class action is best. This is because the more people that have had bad experiences, the more probable it becomes to link these to Efexor.I know that fine details posted on a public forum is risky.I can be contacted on

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Good Luck to all

hello, i am also suffering from awful withdrawals from effexor (and have been for the past three months). I am VERY interested in any lawsuits going against effexor. I believe the more people, the better. My psychiatrist also denies that there are any side effects from effexor. please get in contact with me if anyone is planning a mass lawsuit against effexor's manufacturer.

Hi Ray,
I would like to be involved this this. We have been trying to start a class action suit. I have been in contact with Michae l Fearon in Canada. He was turned down by 2 lawyers, but if you can find one who would help all of us, there are a lot of us who would be interested. As you can see, you were not permitted to put your email in. They do not allow this and it makes it very difficult to form a class action suit if we can't contact one another. I wonder if we could get in touch on Facebook. I don't have that right now, but wonder if everyone could do that. Let me know how I would go about that. I am from the U.S., but I am sure that a class action suit could be formed world wide. There are so many of us that have been damaged by this drug that we must get rid of it. If you can figure out another way to get in contact, please let me know.
Terry

Hi Danielleg,
I am hoping we can find a lawyer who will take on this drug company. So far, it has been difficult. It's a joke that your dr. denies any side effects. He should be on it and see for himself. My dr. never even warned me about any side effects. I am hoping someone can find a lawyer who is willing to do this. Are you completely off the Effexor. Even though I got off with no side effects, my short term memory is damaged among other things.

If I could be involved in a class action suit against Wyeth/Effexor I would drive miles to be in court. Those guys are so crooked and that drug is worse than heroin. It changed my life in many ways. Here's my story and why it is dangerous :

I was put on Effexor XR (150mg) when I was 17 years old. I got really depressed after my first major break-up. At the same time a church kicked me out for being "potentially poisonous to other members" after the breakup (the girl's parents were well known in the church - but take note that all churches are not like that, this was a MAJOR exception). It was a tough time. I took it for roughly 2 years, but as soon as I started taking it, my depression worsened. All aboard the rollercoaster to hell. I thought it was just my life...but in reality I had life going pretty good for me. I was still living at home with my parents, working at wal-mart, making money and buying things - but I could not function. I woke up every morning with a giant on my chest and by the time I got to work I was a zombie. Reactions were slowed, my thinking was very much retarded in many ways. I would drop things, run carts into walls and doors, and have to be told things numerous times. Many times I would go home early which did not look good to my employers. All the while in my head I'm believing that I'm worthless and feeling HORRIBLE because my employers and co-workers think I'm a stupid kid that doesn't care about his job. Quite contrary!

Eventually on one of my worst days, my manager had pulled me to the back and said "I noticed you're quite depressed. It seems you're having trouble. Is it trouble at home? Here? etc" and I told him yes in fact I was depressed and made the mistake of telling him I felt like killing myself sometimes. He took action and said I needed to go home for the day and call him by 11 the next morning or else he was calling the police. Mixed feelings but I went home and slept hard (another side effect of the drug, you want to sleep ALL THE TIME and NEVER FACE THE WORLD!) I didn't wake up until 10:30AM and forgot about the call. It was 11:03 and I called him, he didn't answer, I left a message and just as I put down the phone an officer was at my door and he took me away into custody. I was sent to the hospital to be examined by a psychologist in the emergency room and was footed with a $350 bill that my employer would not pay. That was an expensive "taxi ride".

My condition never improved after that and after I realized I was a head case I attempted suicide multiple times and began slitting my wrists. All the while I was taking effexor on a regular basis, and felt like destroying the world or destroying myself. It was a downward spiral. My mom could not handle it and I was getting physical around the house (I am not an alpha male by any means, I am a calm guy). I was sent to my dad's (they are divorced) and tried life there for awhile. I couldn't keep a job. When the house was empty I wrote a suicide note, and then I put my dad's loaded .38 to my chin and then raised it to my mouth. I knew they were going to find me dead, perhaps then someone would understand. Someone came home and came in to say hi, and said what are you doing with that gun. I put it away and THANK GOD I never pulled that trigger. It only took 3 months and my dad had kicked me out of the house, onto the street. I was homeless. I lived out of my car for a couple weeks and my employers began to notice I was not being hygenic. I told them of my condition and they basically said clean up or get out. Finally my grandma spotted me $300 and I was able to move into an old abandoned hospital with apartment rooms. Turns out the room I was in was where I was born some 19 years earlier. I thought to myself, "I'm going to kill myself here". So I would be born there and die there. Was going to hang myself and bought some rope. Never had the guts nor the time to do it as I was always going into work early and when I came home the tenants from across the hall came over to hang out (it was like a dorm, I thank God that they kept me busy as I had no friends basically). My condition got worse and because I had limited funds I was skipping doses and sometimes I had no medication at all.

....That's when it got dangerous. The withdrawl symptoms were hellish at best, inconceivable at worst. My zombie-like state increased x4. I was walking into doors and walls. I was barely there. My girlfriend at the time was always having to call to make sure I was not dead. Pretty sure that got old quick and she understood my situation, but I told her to leave me. It wasn't fair for her. After the breakup I became a non-me. My personality was gone. If someone looked at me the wrong way I'd give them a death stare and then walk up to them and challenge them to fight. I scared a lot of people. I would walk with my fists clenched in a constant state of rage. I planned to kill people. I was one of those guys you hear on the news but I never had the means to do it. I am not an angry or evil person by nature. I was askign people where I could get chains and torture devices. I planned to abduct someone and torture them because I felt the world hated me so much I was going to take one of its' inhabitants out and destroy them slowly like I was being destroyed. It was sick. I swear to you that is not me at all. It was this !#%^ drug. THIS DRUG. I started seeing things like small animals and people but they were not there - I was hallucinating. Brain zaps/spasms. I'd be sitting somewhere and I'd get "struck" with a zap in the brain. I had that every 3 minutes constantly. I had periods of euphoria and dysphoria. I began to cycle. I finally gave up and took about 20 sleeping pills. I called the suicide line and told them what I did and then hung up. As I started to get weary and nod out I made myself vomit them up. The fact that I was indeed going to die had I fallen asleep helped me realize there was something seriously wrong here. I decided to not renew my prescription and stay off of them, as hard as it was. I knew Effexor was killing me from the inside out and I had welled up a lot of bitterness through my hardship of the drug and made 100x more problems in my life than there should have ever been. I joined a church and started getting closer to Jesus again. I slowly got better after 5 months' time. My body was flushing the toxic drug out of my body. Healing was beginning. In retrospect I can't tell you for sure if I ever became completely sane again though. I feel that Effexor did permanent damage to my brain. I would start a legal case over that alone. To this day I still must pick my employment carefully as I have limited social functioning in certain regards and still get the "cloudy" state from time to time.

Now, with counselling, proper diagnosis (dysthymia and general anxiety), and a mild 2x a day dose of Wellbutrin SR (some people it helps, others it doesn't...but for me I have gradually healed), I am a fully functioning social individual with a happy wife and a happy life. I still deal with depression and anxiety, and the occasional suicidal thought every 6 months or so, but my wife understands and helps me through it. I am 200% better now than when I first started dating her, and am gradually healing to be the person I used to be before Effexor.

The hardest two years EVER in my life I attribute to two things - hating God and taking Effexor. I still believe if I loved God then Effexor would have still made me crazy. If you want to step out of reality, become someone other than yourself, and get locked up for shooting people, take Effexor. If not, stay away. This drug is violent.

Message to Wyeth - Pull this drug, now.