Hi! Recently, doctor suggested me a kidney biopsy. Before that I had blood and urine test, CT. Do you know something about this procedure? Do they suspect on cancer? This is very difficult for me.

Hi! First I must say that if kidney cancer is suspected, a biopsy may not be done because of the possible risk of spreading the cancer. Kidney biopsy is done by inserting a long needle through the back (flank) to remove a sample of kidney tissue. The tissue sample can then be sent to a laboratory and examined under a microscope to help a doctor determine the condition of the kidney and look for signs of infection or other diseases. Tell your doctor if you are taking aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen or naproxen), or blood thinners (such as Coumadin or heparin). Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be done, or what the results will indicate.

Benn's info is very good. I just wanted to add that I have had NUMEROUS kidney biopsies and this is a typical procedure as that way the doctors can see under a microscope the kidney tissue to get a better idea of what is wrong. They also, before doing the biopsy procedure, should give you a paper that says the risks. The main one is bleeding. You shouldn't have a problem but like Benn said, let them know if you are on any of those as they would increase the risk for bleeding.

At first I was nervous because they don't put you asleep but they can numb the area. They tell you to be very still and you don't feel it. it is just the sound that spooks me. It is really quite a breeze though. Just I don't like the sound. It is very much like when you get your ears pierced with that earring gun. No pain but you hear that pop of the "gun". It reminds me of that. Anyway I had no problems ever but one time my (I forget the name but the clotting number I guess you could say) was too low and I talked them into waiting til it came up. I was glad. It is important to be on top of things and it is important to know if your blood would clot fast enough (normal rate) or not.

The fact that they want to do a biopsy is typical and nothing to be too worried about. The fact that they want to do it does not mean they have made a diagnosis yet. It is just to help them come to a diagnosis and to rule out things.