My doctor has recomended I have the Novasure endometrial ablation procedure done. Has anyone had this done and if so what side effects have you experienced?

I am 39 w/2 girls (V-delivery) and had this procedure 12/28. The procedure was nothing - they gave me 600mg ibuprofin for pain which I didn't really need. I had some light spotting for 3-4 wks after which I hear is normal but since then nothing requiring any kind of pad or liner. So today, ~ 45 days out I can def say I missed a period like I used to have - 7 days of the heavy the slack off and then the BOOM heavy again - plus the cramps and stomach upset. So far definitely worth it.

In 08 my Dr mentioned it as "new" but I didn't do anything until my sister had it last may and was successful - so I got it in before the year ended. I am a marathon runner, and - dealing with it while training sucks. Working out on your period is gross. I work full-time and the cramps at the beginning just make you feel like "oh god please leave me alone and get me to 5pm". Luckily I can work from home without too much of an issue and 2 out of 3 months I was at the beginning every month. Plus it was always time to go get more supplies - super tampons, liners and thick pads. The stained sheets and mattress pads. The sad part is, you know how you have leftover vicodin from various procedures? Well that was the only thing that would handle the cramping at the beginning - unless I got a serious head start a few days ahead and went straight through with the toughest OTC Motrin - not good.

So, I am glad I did it. I always had a female obgyn and felt like she poo poo-ed all my PG and other concerns. I got fed up and switched to a male just because they were on my insurance and this was the best thing he has done for me.

If you are healthy and done having kids then really you owe it to yourself to check it out. I wish I had done it a few years earlier but oh well. Best of luck to you!!

I just had the Nova Sure ablation procedure done in December 2010, prior to having the procedure I was having horrible periods, and going to the ER for medical assistance because I would become so light headed from the amount of blood loss. The doctor scheduled me an appointment to see an OBGYN within a few days as well as scheduling a vaginal ultra sound. I was pretty calm about the whole thing until the ultra sound results came in and it was noted that the lining of my uterus was thickening and measuring 12-13 weeks in size. My doctor set me up for a biopsy of my uterus within a few days of the ultra sound. Needless to say I associated biopsy with Cancer and began to go into panic mode and turned to the internet for possible reasons as to why my uterus was growing. I do not recommend that people do this because it will cause you nothing but worry while waiting on your test results. There are several factors that can cause heavy bleeding including being over weight in which when you google does not show as being a possible result of the problem. The procedure was very simple and did not hurt just a little pinch and then a week of wondering and waiting. I received the phone call from the nurse stating the biopsy was normal, the next step was the consult on what to do. At this time I was told that I was very over weight and a hysterectomy was not her first choice because of complications that can occur. She then recommended the NOVA SURE ablation procedure after going over what would happen and recovery expectations. I was scheduled for the procedure within a few days. The surgury itself was very simple and went well, afterwards I had lots of watery discharge which is caused from the healing of the uterus. I was put on pelvic rest for two weeks, which was harder on the husband than me lol. The procedure was done on Dec 23, 2010 and I had my first period on January 4, 2011. I was kinda pissed about this however I knew it was a possibility, the flow was light to medium and lasted 5 days, no blood clots this time and bleeding that was not bad at all. The only problem was I still had it :cry: However I am very grateful I am not bleeding to death and give thanks for that. I started my period again yesterday and it is so light that I can't even hardly tell that I am having it and hopefully it will stay that way. I am very pleased with the results so far and encourage ppl to don't complain about whats not happening and be grateful for any positive changes to the good. To those having odor issues, GO TO THE DOCTOR it is a sign that you have an infection and change your pads frequently. I give the NOVA SURE a thumbs up! I have not had issues with cramping like others state they have either, other than a sharp pain when I ovulate. I recommend this procedure strongly :D

I had the nova sure procedure in June 2010. I am glad I did. Even though I am still having periods every month they only last 5 days and I only have 1 heavy day. It is soooo nice to only have 1 period a month instead of stopping for 10 days and then starting again for another 7 - 10 days. I am no longer anemic which means i don't have to take iron pills anymore!! yay No more constipation for me. lol All in all, this surgery was a success. I would definately recommend it.

I had this done over 5 years ago because I was having very heavy periods. No pain for me at all - except that the pain killers they gave me made me throw up.
Over the years I've had very very light spotting which has now pretty much stopped. I am now 51 and have been having a yellow/slightly green discharge for about a year. It does not really smell bad. No itching, no discomfort. I've had a pap test and it came back normal.
Oddly,...if this gets on my underwear because I did not use a panty liner-which I pretty much always do- it will not come out in the wash! Not with stain removers, soap, or even bleach at full strength. So what is this? anyone with thoughts??

I suffered with post ablation syndrom and the only thing that helped me was lortab. I did not like the side effects though made me throw up and horible headaches, so I went and searched for a different answer. I found products that improved my life tremendously and this is an answer to prayer. These products that I found will help with a wide variety of female issues. I would be happy to help you.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I would be glad to talk to you. Take care. Wendy

my doctor mentioned this procedure? what is post ablation syndrom.,..and what products did you find that helped?

Thanks for sharing. I had the procedure done about 2 years ago and about a year later when I starting having the severe pain monthly I also starting having similar discharge between my periods. I am now having fullness in my lower abdomin and pelvic area and am scheduled for a CT scan today so I hope they find out what is going on.

people who are complaining about pain after the surgery, i got a bug ble freezer pack and slept with it about 2 days later, i moved it from my abdomen to my sides to my very low abdomen. the ice pack helped with the post surgery blues.

My story sounds just like each one of you. I am currently 44 years old. In July of 2011 I saw a doctor for heavy bleeding. I was already on birth control pills with no days off to keep me from having a period at all. That worked for years but then the break thru bleeding started. I was bleeding heavy for about 3 weeks out of each month and having cramping. My GYN at the time suggested ablation surgery. She had ordered an ultra sound that showed an extra thick uterine lining and an unknown growth.She suggested a DNC and ablation surgery together. They were to biopsy the growth and perform the NOVASURE ABLATION. I had the surgery in November 2011, by a different GYN because my original GYN moved away. The surgery went well. I recovered pretty quickly. I don’t remember having much pain. I had some pinkish looking bleeding for a few weeks. Hardly any pain post surgery.  I had a light pinkish looking period for a few months then the bleeding stopped. It was then that I have documented emails to my GYN about the pain. I was trying to find anything that would be the cause. I was referred to a GI specialist who thought it was IBS but ordered a colonoscopy to rule out any colon diseases as the reason for my pain. Oh and to jump back I asked the new GYN about the growth that was removed and there is no record of it. Which is strange. I started noticing the pain and bowel issues were occurring when my period would have came. I kept emailing any doctor that would listen about these cramps I was getting. Well last year they were getting so bad I felt like I was in labor. If my belly even touches up against, say, a kitchen counter lightly, anything I am doubled over in pain. My belly feels full and so much pressure like I want to push a baby out. I have a high tolerance for pain like a lot of you women have. I ended up in the ER in pain with my blood pressure sky high. They felt I had a kidney infection. They did an ultra sound also and found a cyst on my right ovary. They suggested I follow up with a GYN. In the mean time my “ghost period” started and the pain was so bad. So I saw a new GYN. I had by then researched post ablation syndrome and told him that it sounds just like what you woman all are describing. He told me he never heard of it. Send me for another ultra sound. There they found a cyst on my right ovary and multiple fibroids. Since I also have a history of endometriosis he told me a hysterectomy would be too dangerous as he felt the endometriosis had attached to many organs and that was what my pain was from. He handed me a script for pain pills and pretty much told me I would have to deal with it until menopause. Well this brings me to now, a year after that visit. The pain pills did nothing for the pain and although it gets so bad I want to just die I just didn’t know what to do anymore. So I emailed my GYN and told him my husband is insisting-and he was-that I do something even if it means going back on hormones-which I went off of because of family history of blood clots. Well, when I went to my appointment last week the GYN TOLD ME he thought I may have post ablation syndrome. The same doctor who a year before told me he never heard of it. Anyway. The appointment was hell. He said I can run a catheter into your cervix and we can drain the blood and fluid right here in my office today and you will immediately feel some relief. So, I let him try. 3 tools later and me almost breaking the nurses hand from the pain, he had to stop. My cervix is so scarred shut that he couldn’t get my cervix open to run a catheter. So, Monday I went for an ultra sound. I am still waiting for the results. Is there any other treatment anyone knows of aside from hysterectomy? And if I did go for hysterectomy with the cyst on at least one ovary-from last years ultra sound. I am trying to find info on whether I should go with the full or partial. I feel I need to be well educated before I see my GYN again next week. All could change depending on what the new ultra sound reveals. Last year no fluid pockets were found and I am not sure how this can be. We woman need to be advocates for our own health. And I would also like to know why we are not told of this “side effect” there was nothing in the novasure pamphlet about post ablation syndrome. I thought I researched it thoroughly. Even asked friends about it. As far as I know my friends have had a successful ablation. I am wondering why all of us are having the same exact symptoms? I didn’t find all of these posts until after my surgery when I started with the horrid pain. I want to add one more thing. If you are being told by your doctor you won’t have a period-you will still get the PMS symptoms. Even when I had the few months of relief from bleeding before the severe cramps started I still got the headaches, mood swings, bloating. All that good stuff.