Hello. I'm 50 year old male and almost all my life I worked in one concrete factory. We lifted and carried big weight almost every day and that cost me my spine.
Now, when I'm retired and I don’t work any more I'm suffering from strong pain located in my lumbal region.
First those pains occurred only in some difficult actions like standing too long but now-pain is almost constant!
At the beginning pain was located only in my lumbal spine but now, I feel almost constant numbness or weakness in the leg.
So, I went to see a doctor and he told me, after he did some physical and radiology examinations, that I have some degenerative process in the Lumbar region called accompanied with disc herniation. So he scheduled me for some operation called Hemilaminectomy.
What kind of operation this really is?

I had this operation last year and I can tell you that my life changed in so many ways after that operation.
Your lumbar nerve is probably compressed with herniated disc so this operation will remove this cause.
Lumbar Hemilaminectomy is operation where only part of the Lamina and only a portion of the of the Facet Joint is removed to allow more room for the Lumbar Nerve.
This nerve is usually compressed due to a progressive degeneration in the spine.
During operation, using some special instruments, the muscle is moved away from the Lamina and Facet Joint and a retractor is used to hold it out of the way.
Using a special bone drill, part of the Lamina and the Facet Joint may be removed.
I was in a hospital for about a week after surgery and then they reelected me home.
It is important after the surgery to walk as much as possible.

I was diagnosed with bulging herniated disk and had been going for physical therapy 2/3 time a week..had epidural injections 3 times and meds..somehow, I 'm in so much pain specially at night, couldn't sleep..tingling situations on both leg...Two Drs. already told me I 'm candidate for surgery...But I'm a little scared of what going to happen to me, because I'm also suffering with Asthma, heart and had lumpectomy 15 years ago...now problem with the spine..What would happen if I just stay and cope with the pain, would it get worse with my bulding spine?... :-(