I have terrible problems with my impotence. It was mild condition when I was younger, but lately I can clearly see there is something wrong with me. I think it is called erectile dysfunction, but I am not sure. Can you tell me more about the annoying problem that causes so low self-esteem with me? What could be possible cause for this, and how could I diagnose if that is really going on with me?

Erectile dysfunction, sometimes called impotence, refers to a repeated inability to get or keep an erection. The word "impotence" may also be used to describe lack of sexual desire and problems with ejaculation or orgasm. Since an erection requires a precise sequence of events, erectile dysfunction can occur when any of the events is disrupted. The sequence includes nerve impulses in the brain, spinal column, and area around the penis. This requires response in muscles, fibrous tissues, veins, and arteries in and near the corpora cavernosa. Damage to nerves, arteries, smooth muscles, and fibrous tissues, often because of disease, is the most common cause of erectile dysfunction. Diseases, such as diabetes, kidney disease, chronic alcoholism, multiple sclerosis, atherosclerosis, vascular disease, and neurological disease cause 70 percent of cases. To diagnose what cause your problem your doctor will need medical and sexual histories to help define the degree and nature of yours erectile dysfunction. A physical examination can give clues to systemic problems, and there are several laboratory tests that can help diagnose ED.