I had problems with edema, skin lesions and weakness. I went to my doctor and after examining me he said that I have Phenylalanine deficiency. He also told me that this condition is very rare. That’s why I would like to know more about it.

It is true that Phenylalanine deficiency is a very rare condition but it doesn’t mean that it is not treatable. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid. It is essential to human health but cannot be manufactured by the body and because of this reason phenylalanine must be obtained from food. There are three chemical forms: L-phenylalanine, D-phenylalanine and DL-phenylalanine. The first one is the natural form of phenylalanine found in proteins throughout the body, the second one is a mirror image of L-phenylalanine that is synthesized in a laboratory and a third one is a combination of the previous two forms. The body converts phenylalanine into tyrosine. This is another amino acid essential for making proteins, certain brain chemicals and thyroid hormones. A rare metabolic disorder called phenylketonuria or PKU occurs in people who are missing an enzyme that is needed to properly metabolize phenylalanine. I am sure that you will be ok as long as you are under supervision of your doctor.