What are the side effects of drinking coffee? I need to have at least three cups every day, sometimes even more than 5. It really helps me regain and boost my energy. Generally, I like to have healthy nutritional habits and but cannot decrease coffee intake. Can it be seriously bad?

There are some serious things about harmful effects of excessive coffee intake. Not about caffeine, but coffee. It has irritating effect on gastric mucosa and can lead to development of ulcers. Else, people that are heavy coffee drinkers may develop vitamin b1 insufficiency. Caffeine interacts with absorption of some nutrients in small intestines. The only healthy way to treat tiredness and fatigue is to have rest. Also, long term coffee drinkers often develop liver function disorders.

I have just read the amazing book Mood Cure by Julia Ross. This book shows how certain amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) can boost brain chemicals and improve thyroid function, both leading to having more energy. She describes in her book how tyrosine is an important amino acid for boosting mood and energy which people usually get from coffee.